Anime

On 7/17/2022 at 2:04 PM, Eluvianii said:

I decided to catch up recently so I've been watching the second season. It's really good. Love what they're doing with Yu's character, season 1 was so unfair to him. 

Ishigami's character arc in S2 is one of my favorite aspects of the show. I don't know how they can go from absolutely chaotic humor to super emotional so well, but here we are. 

Also, sub or dub? Normally I wouldn't care, but this show's dubs are S-tier. 

Edited by Slowswift

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

Ishigami's character arc in S2 is one of my favorite aspects of the show. I don't know how they can go from absolutely chaotic humor to super emotional so well, but here we are. 

Also, sub or dub? Normally I wouldn't care, but this show's dubs are S-tier. 

I'm so used to subbed anime by now that even trying to watch a dubbed episode triggers a negative reaction regardless of quality.

have heard great things about both English and latin dubs though, and listened to some examples (apparently the latin one canonized Ishigod which I love), so I might check them out once I'm caught up. 

12 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

I'm so used to subbed anime by now that even trying to watch a dubbed episode triggers a negative reaction regardless of quality.

have heard great things about both English and latin dubs though, and listened to some examples (apparently the latin one canonized Ishigod which I love), so I might check them out once I'm caught up. 

Understandable!

I have seen that clip, it's pretty great. :D I'm glad to see other languages get good dubs, too. (I'm thinking of rewatching Spy x Family in German, because I'm trying to learn and it just seems appropriate for that story.)

3 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Understandable!

I have seen that clip, it's pretty great. :D I'm glad to see other languages get good dubs, too. (I'm thinking of rewatching Spy x Family in German, because I'm trying to learn and it just seems appropriate for that story.)

Dang, that makes me curious about that one too. Though I know nothing about German so I'd probably just leave confused. But dubs seem to be getting pretty creative when it comes to comedies.

I kinda wanna watch Komi-san twice because for the latin dub they decided to make plenty use of Mexican slang (is that how you use that word?). While you could make the argument that doing that goes against the source material, it just fits so well.

Cases like this and as mentioned Love is War are making me want to go back and give dubs another chance. 

2 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Dang, that makes me curious about that one too. Though I know nothing about German so I'd probably just leave confused. But dubs seem to be getting pretty creative when it comes to comedies.

I kinda wanna watch Komi-san twice because for the latin dub they decided to make plenty use of Mexican slang (is that how you use that word?). While you could make the argument that doing that goes against the source material, it just fits so well.

Cases like this and as mentioned Love is War are making me want to go back and give dubs another chance. 

Which one, slang? Yes, that's correct.

Go for it! Thankfully, most dubs nowadays seem do be doing localization right. They're not rewriting the show (except for Ghost Stories, but that's a...special case) or messing with the author's intent, they're tweaking the vibe to better suit a different audience--I believe the phrase "it just hits different" is applicable here. Which is why I'm glad we have both sub and dub! Even I have certain shows I prefer in sub, despite mostly being dub-first. 

Yeah, Love is War's dub is fantastic.  We watch the sub as it comes out but then rewatch for the dub (though not immediately - we haven't watched the S3 dub yet): it's a rare case where the dub is so different from the sub that it almost feels closer to watching a different show at times than rewatching. 

Mostly the narrator is different, but that's a pretty big change, in a way it takes an opposite strategy: the joke of the original narrator is that they're taking the whole thing absolutely seriously, whereas the dub has a lot more "abridged series energy", and the narrator is much more in on the joke, and kind of poking fun at the whole thing. 

Overall I might actually prefer the dub... but it's hard to say, they're both good in their own way.

On 19/01/2018 at 1:25 AM, NamelessThirteenth said:

That's all there is to it. A thread pops up every now and then, but it never survives, so I renew it and hope all the anime Sharders keep it alive! Discuss your favorite anime, what you are currently watching and what you recommend here.

Personally I've just finished Steins;Gate and now I (like the whole anime community) am watching Violet Evergarden. It's the most beautiful anime of all time - and this isn't just rave

Lonnngtime anime fan!  I can't even list all the ones I've watched, but they include Pokemon, YuuYuu Hakusho, Hikaru no Go, Porot and Marple, and Sakamichi no Appolon.

More current favorites (and I am a lot more selective now): Hibike! Euphonium, Iroduku, Kabukibu.  I shy away from gore, horror and er, extremely 'adult' themes.  NOT meaning complex.  I even speak a teeny bit of caveman-level Japanese.

A post up-thread reminded me: I love almost everything Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli.  I only watch subtitled anime now.

I should read the whole thread, shouldn't ?  

Edited by Coolmint

While we're still on the subject of Love is War, just watched episode 11 of the second season, which is to say "Yu Ishigami Closes His Eyes, Part 3". That has to be the best anime episode I've watched in a long while. I didn't come here to cry, storm it!

10 hours ago, Coolmint said:

I should read the whole thread, shouldn't ?

Well, it's a bit short. Not a lot of activity so far. 

11 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

While we're still on the subject of Love is War, just watched episode 11 of the second season, which is to say "Yu Ishigami Closes His Eyes, Part 3". That has to be the best anime episode I've watched in a long while. I didn't come here to cry, storm it!

Well, it's a bit short. Not a lot of activity so far. 

I can probably fix that….

I just remembered more series I have watched: Dragonball Z and some of its movies.  Inu Yasha and some of its movies.  The seemingly-endless Prince of Tennis and some of its movies.  Hmmm.  There is some kind of theme here…

Yes, I am very old school.

Nice. In my case my goal is to become a, umm, every-year-school?

Modern anime is a given, but on the old-school side so far I have the first Lupin III show, the first Gundam show, War in the Pocket, and I'm watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Wait, there's also a theme there...

Huh, looks like I'm into military drama. Guess that's why I like FMA so much.

On an unrelated note, decided to rewatch Monogatari Series, and I noticed I relax really fast when I'm watching it. Furthermore, when certain parts of the soundtrack play I feel at ease instantly. Is this what people call a comfort show?

Also, not sure if anyone will be interested but might as well share this here. I'm one of those people obsessed with documenting anything and everything I watch on MAL, so I guess if anyone needs recommendations, here are some. As well if anyone wants to share some of their favorites, I'd love to hear it.

18 hours ago, Elegy said:

Nice, that one's really niche, I don't see people talk about it much! Do you watch the 80s series or the remake?

The original. I want to watch the remake too though. This is great story-wise, and the strategy is really interesting. But the battles at least visually are mostly static ships exploding after a mostly static white line appears on-screen. If the narrative takes a hit in the remake (which I hope not), I want it to be in exchange for some eye candy at least.

Niche though? I get that the age can be an issue for some, but it pops up in every "Best anime of all time" list ever.

12 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Niche though? I get that the age can be an issue for some, but it pops up in every "Best anime of all time" list ever.

Yeah, you're right, I feel like that's a fairly recent development though? I watched it, like, 2014. Didn't feel like anyone was talking about it back then ^^

I haven't seen the remake. It's supposed to be more action oriented, but it also looks more generic (especially the character design). The original series is really over 100 episodes of mostly just dialogue haha, even the space battles are mostly talking what they're about to do. It's also pretty much the most exposition-heavy thing I've ever watched or read (some entire episodes are solely that), but I guess it says a lot about the quality of story and characters that I still enjoyed it a lot nonetheless!

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, just finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's hard to say anything aside from, yep, this is indeed one of the best animes ever made, I don't have any ground to argue.

I just wish it had slowed down a bit toward the end. It's strange for such a long show to pack so much into every episode but yeah, the plot was lightning fast. Miss one episode and you'll be extremely confused on the next, and that continued all the way to the end. I do wish the final 5 or so were 10 or 15 instead. But maybe that would have screwed the pace, who knows.

It also has some of the best deaths I've seen in fiction, even if the narrator has a bad habit of announcing them waaaay in advance. When an important character dies they usually don't bring it up as a surprise, and instead take entire episodes to build the moment, and the result is beautiful. They're so respectful to each character.

He's not the only one I have something to say about, but I have to mention Oberstein as one of the most interesting characters I've encountered. I was so conflicted about him ever since he was introduced very early on, and that conflict was not resolved. Like, ever. I came to respect him by the end but I could never decide if I liked the guy or not and, well, that's pretty amazing I think.

I also didn't expect the show to have such a focus on romance, especially during the last quarter, though I'm certainly not complaining. Who knew I'd find some of my favorite couples in a show so completely focused on politics and strategy.

Finishing this just hypes me for the remake honestly. I'm tempted to start right now but that would just burn me out real fast I think. Maybe I should wait until it's finished. It's not like my backlog is twice as long as my list of finished shows anyway.

Edited by Eluvianii

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Been watching Bocchi the Rock and I find it thoroughly unfair how good this show is at representing whatever the hell is wrong with me.

Agonizing about going into a place because the person I came to see is not with me and I'm scared to do it alone, so I end up loitering around the entrance for 20 minutes? That's way too specific, and yet I've been there.

Making a small arrangement with friends and stressing myself out thinking they might start hating me if I fail in any way shape or form even though it actually isn't a big deal? Check. 

Of course Bocchi does crank everything up to 11, but I still find her experiences painfully relatable.

Also, really good music show. I'm always looking for more of those. 

I don't really like much anime because it often has crap I don't personally wanna see. But I have seen:

A Silent Voice

Josee, the Tiger and the fish

Princess Mononoke

Your Name

These ones were alright.

Spoiler

Don't make fun of me for anything stupid I saw about anime. I don't know anything about it. :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, Gregorio said:

I don't really like much anime because it often has crap I don't personally wanna see. But I have seen:

A Silent Voice

Josee, the Tiger and the fish

Princess Mononoke

Your Name

These ones were alright.

Reveal hidden contents

Don't make fun of me for anything stupid I saw about anime. I don't know anything about it. :lol: 

Every one of those is excellent, so you're doing all right I'd say. :D 

@Coolmint I love shows like that.

I think I need to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the shows I've been trying to watch. :mellow:

Anyways. I had my eye on Lycoris Recoil when it came out, but never got around to watching it until a coworker recommended it ("Imagine John Wick partnered with Marin Kitagawa" is how he put it). So I watched the first two episodes last night and I enjoyed them quite a lot!

Also, I just finished watching From Up on Poppy Hill with my family. Visually perfect, very wholesome, 10/10.

10 hours ago, Slowswift said:

@Coolmint I love shows like that.

I think I need to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the shows I've been trying to watch. :mellow:

Anyways. I had my eye on Lycoris Recoil when it came out, but never got around to watching it until a coworker recommended it ("Imagine John Wick partnered with Marin Kitagawa" is how he put it). So I watched the first two episodes last night and I enjoyed them quite a lot!

Also, I just finished watching From Up on Poppy Hill with my family. Visually perfect, very wholesome, 10/10.

Poppy Hill is an absolute favorite.  I love the soundtrack, with Sakamoto Kyu's big hit Ue wo Muite (also a hit in the USA under the mystifying title Sukiyaki).  Both the song and the film capture the era to perfection.

The first time we saw Dot Hack, it was a boot, though we didn't realize it.  Now we have the Funimation version and it's beginning to make a little sense.   But there's a lot to untangle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 6:42 AM, Coolmint said:

Poppy Hill is an absolute favorite.  I love the soundtrack, with Sakamoto Kyu's big hit Ue wo Muite (also a hit in the USA under the mystifying title Sukiyaki).  Both the song and the film capture the era to perfection.

The first time we saw Dot Hack, it was a boot, though we didn't realize it.  Now we have the Funimation version and it's beginning to make a little sense.   But there's a lot to untangle.

I'll have to take your word for it. :P But it was a beautiful portrayal regardless! (Gives me the same vibe as the Mad Scientists' Club stories--they both have a way of making me nostalgic for a time I wasn't even alive for.) Ghibli have really nailed the slice of life aesthetic--we just watched Whisper of the Heart too, me for the first time, and gosh dang whoever is in charge of designing the backgrounds of these movies is a genius.

A bootleg? Were there scenes missing? And, is this a series you recommend?

Edited by Slowswift

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

I'll have to take your word for it. :P But it was a beautiful portrayal regardless! (Gives me the same vibe as the Mad Scientists' Club stories--they both have a way of making me nostalgic for a time I wasn't even alive for.) Ghibli have really nailed the slice of life aesthetic--we just watched Whisper of the Heart too, me for the first time, and gosh dang whoever is in charge of designing the backgrounds of these movies is a genius.

A bootleg? Were there scenes missing? And, is this a series you recommend?

With bootlegs, there are no missing scenes, but the subtitles… arrrggghhhh!  Sometimes they don't make sense.  I read somewhere that the translations are done from scripts, by people who don't actually watch the booted show.

Dot Hack Sign is a favorite, but it takes multiple viewings (even with the legit version) to 'get' everything going on.  The background and character designs are beautiful, the Japanese voices are fantastic, with some I recognize from other series.  Dot Hack Sign takes place inside an online game that, for some, becomes all too real.  And I do recommend it, but only the legit version.