Anime

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone's looking for anime from this season, "Kaguya-sama: Love Is War" is the best thing I'm watching - granted, it's not a long list this season. 

It's a slightly topical recommendation, with Valentine's Day tomorrow, but mostly it's just a fantastic show.  It's basically like if you made a romantic comedy in the style of the Death Note "potato chip" scene - the premise is two genius high schoolers who are in love with each other but both wants to force the other to admit it first, so mundane interactions are narrated and monologued as titanic battle of the wits. 

That premise alone would probably get dull fairly quickly, but it's got a lot else going for it: some actual heartfelt moments and the characters themselves are just a lot of fun, including the secondary characters.  The best character in the show so far isn't one of the two main protagonists (and it's not even close).  

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Embrisk said:

I got bored of anime. Except for the girl who leapt through time, everything I watch is inconsistent and full of boring plots, boring characters, or both. 

Sounds like you need a reboot. If you'd like any suggestions of anime that might cleanse your palette. just say the word. Happy to help.

Quick thought on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: It's a great film, but I do think the pacing could be better. And the ending could be a little more satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

What newer anime series are you watching right now?! A friend of mine told me about darwin's game. He said that it is really great, however I have never heard of it, has anyone in here watched it?! Is it any good?! The problem is that my friend is not having the.... best tastes in general. I mean, he is a fan of the ant-man! The only great thing that he has ever recommended me, was this site https://waifuforlaifu.com/pages/waifu-generator   . You can generate the best waifu for you, the one that would fit you the best!

Edited by Virgilius

Welcome to the Shard! Just a note. Usually bringing a thread this old back from the dead is frowned upon, though I believe it's allowed if you add something to it. Still, half the time we just create a new one. There are a lot of double or triple threads that have been created to avoid necroing.

Back on topic, from this season I was thinking on starting the second season of The Quintessential Quintuplets. Aside from that, I'm watching Diamond is Unbreakable and was looking for some horror or mystery. 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

and was looking for some horror or mystery. 

If you haven't you should check out Higurashi, as it's mystery/horror and it's one of my favorite things I'm watching right now.  It's originally a Visual Novel, that was adapted to an anime back in 2006.  It's been on my radar forever (I remember a friend excitedly describing it shortly after it came out), but I never got around to watching it.  

So when I saw that they were remaking it this year, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to see a slightly shinier version of a show that I've been interested in for awhile.... except, Shia Surprise, it's actually a Stealth Sequel, so I guess I'm watching the sequel to an anime I've never seen. 

Despite that, I'm enjoying it a lot.  I wasn't sure at first: the horror and tension was on point, but the plot was disjointed and confusing.  But that's I remember from my friend's description that's how the original was, too - it's a bunch of "question arc"s that don't really make sense, followed by the "answer arcs" that actually explain the plot.  And now that the new show is into the answer arcs, it's on a whole other level: it's maintained a lot of the horror and tension from the first half, but it has a coherent and quite gripping story to go with it. 

I'm being intentionally vague as I really don't have a clue what I could say about the actual plot of the show without spoiling it, but it really exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

That being said, this is a horror anime.  It's got some quite violent and disturbing bits.  I was mostly expecting that (again, reputation, and having seen some out-of-context bits of the original) - but even expecting that, there's one episode of this series that was just beyond the pale.  Without exaggeration it was the most disturbing episode of anime I've ever watched.

So, strong recommendation, but also a strong content warning on this one.  It's been fantastically interesting, but know what you're getting into.

20 hours ago, Retsam said:

So, strong recommendation, but also a strong content warning on this one.  It's been fantastically interesting, but know what you're getting into.

I've been wanting to watch that since forever actually, and even saw the first couple episodes or so, but I kind of want to play the novel first and because of that it's been in my backlog for around 6 years. 

I don't know what streaming services you have, but if you have funimatiom then I would recommend Mushishi. 

It's atmospheric, slow moving, but incredibly good. 

Also, Demon Slayer ( which I think is on Netflix now) is an anime blessedly without filler. You should watch the subtitled version because the voice acting for the Japanese is beyond perfect. 

Mushishi looks kinda like Natsume Juujinchou, which means it'll likely become one of my favorites, but I've been pushing it back for a long time because I'm lazy and having a 200+ To Watch list doesn't help. 

About Demon Slayer, the movie was just announced for my city so it's time for me to watch it seriously. The reason I was interested in that in the first place was because Yuki Kajiura + Ufotable + LiSA is a killer combo so I was expecting something good anyway. 

(also, I always watch the subtitled version) 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

Mushishi looks kinda like Natsume Juujinchou, which means it'll likely become one of my favorites, but I've been pushing it back for a long time because I'm lazy and having a 200+ To Watch list doesn't help. 

About Demon Slayer, the movie was just announced for my city so it's time for me to watch it seriously. The reason I was interested in that in the first place was because Yuki Kajiura + Ufotable + LiSA is a killer combo so I was expecting something good anyway. 

(also, I always watch the subtitled version) 

Mushishi is a slow burn for sure, but there are some truly beautiful moments. Not to sound like a schlock jockey, but that show has some serious heart.

Natsume Juujinchou sounds good, how did you watch the anime? It doesn't look like it's on Funimation.

If you already know Ufotable, then you probably already know that Demon Slayer has some of the very best animation of any anime series. My wife's high praise is that she actually likes watching the fights in this series (holy crap, really the animation is just bonkers amazing). But really, it's so nice to see an anime with a compelling story, with amazing characters, and having so very little filler. There's a training montage sequence that spans two episodes, but even that has no filler. So good.

I'm excited to see Mugen Train in the theaters too, but my anticipation is tempered a bit by not really liking any of the trailers that I've seen so far. But I will definitely see it, and if it's good, I'll drive out of town to see it at the IMAX.

I have daughters, so every once in awhile we watch anime that has been dubbed. Just recently we watched my favorite Anime of all times, Laputa (or Castle in the Sky as they call it stateside), and I have to say, I like the dubbed voice acting better than the original Japanese. Cloris Leachman as Dola the space pirate is beyond perfect, and Mark Hamil as Muska is amazing ("The power of Laputa is the dream of all human kind!", so good).

52 minutes ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Mushishi is a slow burn for sure, but there are some truly beautiful moments. Not to sound like a schlock jockey, but that show has some serious heart.

Natsume Juujinchou sounds good, how did you watch the anime? It doesn't look like it's on Funimation.

If you already know Ufotable, then you probably already know that Demon Slayer has some of the very best animation of any anime series. My wife's high praise is that she actually likes watching the fights in this series (holy crap, really the animation is just bonkers amazing). But really, it's so nice to see an anime with a compelling story, with amazing characters, and having so very little filler. There's a training montage sequence that spans two episodes, but even that has no filler. So good.

I'm excited to see Mugen Train in the theaters too, but my anticipation is tempered a bit by not really liking any of the trailers that I've seen so far. But I will definitely see it, and if it's good, I'll drive out of town to see it at the IMAX.

I have daughters, so every once in awhile we watch anime that has been dubbed. Just recently we watched my favorite Anime of all times, Laputa (or Castle in the Sky as they call it stateside), and I have to say, I like the dubbed voice acting better than the original Japanese. Cloris Leachman as Dola the space pirate is beyond perfect, and Mark Hamil as Muska is amazing ("The power of Laputa is the dream of all human kind!", so good).

I'll be sure to watch it soon then. It has a silent fanbase but those I see seem to have nothing but praise for it. 

Natsume Yuujinchou (sorry, messed up the name the first time) at least here is on Crunchyroll, which is not the most practical option because the free version is pretty aggressive with the ads, but welp, I'm a student who has proved to be bad at balancing college with a job, so I lost my right to complain. It's been a while but I just double checked and it's still there. Also, it seems to be on Netflix? The English name is Natsume's Book of Friends but again, that is here. I know that availability changes from country to country. 

Yeah, I found Ufotable thanks to Fate. I watched UBW pretty hungrily because it was such a big change after the first adaptation. Then I watched Zero less hungrily because it's pretty depressing, then watched the first two movies on theaters and lost my chance to watch the third one apparently because space is limited in theaters right now. I did watch about half of Demon Slayer and it was pretty good. My sister is really excited for the movie and it's kinda contagious. 

Laputa is amazing. It's my childhood and a very fond memory from before I knew what Ghibli was. Or what anime was. And it has Carrying You which is my favorite Hisaishi song by a long shot. But I've seen two dubs of it and they're kinda terrible. Never seen an English version though so I might try that.

Edited by Eluvianii

47 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Natsume Yuujinchou (sorry, messed up the name the first time) at least here is on Crunchyroll, which is not the most practical option because the free version is pretty aggressive with the ads, but welp, I'm a student who has proved to be bad at balancing college with a job, so I lost my right to complain. It's been a while but I just double checked and it's still there. Also, it seems to be on Netflix? The English name is Natsume's Book of Friends but again, that is here. I know that availability changes from country to country. 

Yeah, just looked it up on Netflix, doesn't seem to be available in the US. Sucks, but I might try and check out the manga, have you read it?

Yeah, I found Ufotable thanks to Fate. I watched UBW pretty hungrily because it was such a big change after the first adaptation. Then I watched Zero less hungrily because it's pretty depressing, then watched the first two movies on theaters and lost my chance to watch the third one apparently because space is limited in theaters right now. I did watch about half of Demon Slayer and it was pretty good. My sister is really excited for the movie and it's kinda contagious. 

Will have to check out Fate and UBW for sure.

I'm sure you've seen My Hero Academia, but have you seen Mob Psycho 100? Both are animated by one of the best studios in Japan, Bones, though the animation is by different substudios (Bones A and B respectively). One of my favorite animes of all times, Rahxephon, was done by the same Bones substudio that did Mob Psycho (Bones B ). It's kind of slow, like Mushishi, and it's a giant Robot animation, but it's atmospheric and super good. And the theme song is by Maaya Sakamoto and is one of the best anime theme songs of all times. Also, I am big Giant Mechanized robot fan, and this series was directed and created by Yutaka Izubuchi, who is possibly the most talented designer of Giant Robots that the world has ever known, and the series itself is super good.

Laputa is amazing. It's my childhood and a very fond memory from before I knew what Ghibli was. Or what anime was. And it has Carrying You which is my favorite Hisaishi song by a long shot. But I've seen two dubs of it and they're kinda terrible. Never seen an English version though so I might try that.

Yeah, the English dub is amazing!

There's a dearth of Laputa videos on Youtube, the best example I could get of the English dub was the official trailer, but it does showcase the voice acting (Dola only has one line, though they do include the animation of her eating the large slab of ham in Potzu's house). Another funny thing about this "official trailer" is that with all of the beautiful songs that Hiyashi wrote for Laputa, they use a crappy Inya-esque elevator musicy tune for the BG music.

Edited by Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

1 hour ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Yeah, just looked it up on Netflix, doesn't seem to be available in the US. Sucks, but I might try and check out the manga, have you read it?

Not yet, but maybe I should. The show is not exactly a yearly thing. At this point I don't really know if it's because there's not enough material yet or different reasons. It might even not be popular enough. 

Will have to check out Fate and UBW for sure.

Oh sorry, I should have specified there. Fate is a franchise. It has quite a few alternate realities that can be confusing, but Ufotable pretty much holds the rights to the main one, which they have adapted in Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (UBW for short), a prequel called Fate/Zero, and a movie trilogy called Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel, following a different ending for the story you see in UBW (since it originally came from a game with three paths) which was just completed. So yeah, almost everything I've seen from Ufotable comes from the same franchise. Demon Slayer will probably the first I see outside of it. 

I'm sure you've seen My Hero Academia, but have you seen Mob Psycho 100? Both are animated by one of the best studios in Japan, Bones, though the animation is by different substudios (Bones A and B respectively). One of my favorite animes of all times, Rahxephon, was done by the same Bones substudio that did Mob Psycho (Bones B ). It's kind of slow, like Mushishi, and it's a giant Robot animation, but it's atmospheric and super good. And the theme song is by Maaya Sakamoto and is one of the best anime theme songs of all times. Also, I am big Giant Mechanized robot fan, and this series was directed and created by Yutaka Izubuchi, who is possibly the most talented designer of Giant Robots that the world has ever known, and the series itself is super good.

I always see it recommended. The art style is not my favorite but I'm definitely curious, and I prefer slow burns really. I have no issue with giant robots. The genre never interested me (save for Evangelion, which never felt like a mecha anime to me for some reason), but then I watched a few like the first season of Aldnoah Zero and the first Gundam series and I really liked them, especially the latter. Now Universal Century is pretty high on my list of priorities. 

Regarding Bones, I believe they made FMA Brotherhood? Also I saw a few episodes of Soul Eater, and yeah, the animation was great in both. 

Yeah, the English dub is amazing!

There's a dearth of Laputa videos on Youtube, the best example I could get of the English dub was the official trailer, but it does showcase the voice acting (Dola only has one line, though they do include the animation of her eating the large slab of ham in Potzu's house). Another funny thing about this "official trailer" is that with all of the beautiful songs that Hiyashi wrote for Laputa, they use a crappy Inya-esque elevator musicy tune for the BG music.

Well, it definitely sounds a lot better than the Spanish or Latin-american dubs. I will check it out, any reason to re-watch this is a good reason. You got me thinking though. Trailer music never seems to match the actual soundtrack from the movie, speaking in general. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 1:25 AM, NamelessThirteenth said:

That's all there is to it. A thread pops up every now and then, but it never survives, so I renew it and hope all the anime Sharders keep it alive! Discuss your favorite anime, what you are currently watching and what you recommend here.

Personally I've just finished Steins;Gate and now I (like the whole anime community) am watching Violet Evergarden. It's the most beautiful anime of all time - and this isn't just rave

Watch Radiant or black clover and also one piece my top 3 of all honesty I could name hundreds for top 3 

19 hours ago, Ilajean said:

Watch Radiant or black clover and also one piece my top 3 of all honesty I could name hundreds for top 3 

First off, welcome to the Shard, always great to hear from anime fans! 

I coud never really get into One Piece, but my daughter really wants to watch it so I guess I will too, heard lots of good things about Black Clover, and haven't heard of Radiant before. What's Radiant like, why is it one of your top 3 anime series? 

• 1 month later...

Been watching Jujutsu Kaisen on and off (everything I'm watching has been on and off because I'm an irresponsible student and I'm paying the consequences but that ends tomorrow thankfully), and the action is almost too good. I always thought Ufotable was the king at fight scenes but now I'm really split.

Knowing now what they're capable of makes me really excited about SnK Season 4, which I haven't gotten around to yet. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 15/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Slowswift said:

Love is War really be out here competing for my favorite anime of all time, huh?

I decided to catch up recently so I've been watching the second season. It's really good. Love what they're doing with Yu's character, season 1 was so unfair to him.