2018, March 1-4 Seattle Comic-Con

Khyrindor

Here is hoping.

As before, home made internet cookies for anyone who gets a chance to ask anything about either of the following subjects:

Which forms are male/female (other than dullform, mateform and slaveform, all of which can have children) and which forms are malen/femalen (the forms that cannot procreate)?

Did the Shin invade the rest of Roshar to remove the missing shards from circulation (ref: Feverstone keep vision where Dalinar sees more shards than currently in active use)? Or, are the Shin stockpiling shards the same way they stockpile honorblades?

As far as the question about Autonomy having left First of the Sun goes, hasn't that been answered already? Patji (one of the islands) is an aspect of Autonomy. So the Shard hasn't left FotS, it's still there.

Edited by Vissy

Just got my signed Oathbringer and Elantris leatherbound today. Asked Brandon a question during the signing:

Me: “Could Kaladin lash a boat to be weightless.”

Brandon: “Yes, that is possible”

Me: “I hope he does! Thank you!”

Awesome event. Also got a signed book from Rothfus and Hobb. :)

Got a couple books signed earlier this evening and got to ask two questions:

Oathbringer Spoiler

Spoiler

Q: Was Elhokar going to be a windrunner squire or some other order of radiant?

A: Actually he was going to be a Lightweaver.

Brandon also mentioned that in the earlier version of Way of Kings, things escalated between Dalinar and Elhokar, and Dalinar ended up killing him. So Elhokar has been doomed from the beginning. Fun little side note.

Q: Let's say Lift received two hemalurgic spikes; one for Feruchemical Bendalloy and one for Allomantic Bendalloy. Then she eats a bunch of pancakes and stores the nutrition in a piece of bendalloy. Then she burns that metalmind, gaining a ton of compounded nutrition. Could she then metabolize that nutrition into stormlight?

A: (wording might be slightly off, I'm just going off memory) Yes...? (He seemed hesitant here or maybe a bit confused) What you're essentially doing here is a complicated way to convert investiture.So, she's getting it from Ruin... and converting it to ... yeah, that's complicated. I would think that at some point, the cosmere would have a better ways to convert investiture than that.

Q: So, the nutrition bendalloy ferrings store, and the nutrition Lift metabolizes into stormlight are the same sort of thing?

A: *hesitant nod*

He still seemed a little confused about what I was getting at with this question but I didn't get a chance to clarify any further. That being, if this works, Lift could produce functionally infinite stormlight via compounding nutrition. 

Edited by Zantis

greaterbookwyrm

What happens when you cut a kandra with a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

So a kandra is going to react basically the same way, in that the shardblade is going to be hitting at the soul and severing it and things like that.  They are not immune to Shardblades.  But because they have mutable shapes, there will be a little bit of weirdness involved in that.  You'll get to see that happen eventually.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324-emerald-city-comic-con/#e9262

Edited by RShara

Me:

One and a half questions:

Firstly, when are you next coming to Australia?

Brandon:

I was only there last year

Me:

And secondly, Is is possible to make a hemolurgical spike out of Harminium, and if so, what would it do?

Brandon:

Yes, and RAFO.  Half a question, half an answer.

13 hours ago, Cosmé said:

Just got my signed Oathbringer and Elantris leatherbound today. Asked Brandon a question during the signing:

Awesome event. Also got a signed book from Rothfus and Hobb. :)

Hey Cosme, could you post a picture of the question/answer? :)

So I've learned that Brandon is probably flying out on Sunday, so I will probably miss him. That said, we will still be coming down, and any Sanderfans that are there on Sunday I would love to meet and talk Cosmere with.

ps: if anyone thought my questions were interesting, you're more than welcome to ask some ;) Here they are:

Spoiler

On narrowing down Shards (my obsession):

1. Would it be feasible to put the 16 Shards into groups of four?                                                                                                                                                                                                              -[If no] Are they more random, then, and we're just looking for Patterns where none exist?

2. The Intents/names of Shards have often appeared on-page without referencing the actual Shards themselves (for example, Ambition being a theme in Elantris long before we knew of Shards; Endow and Devotion being common words). Is this ever intentional?                                                                                                                                                                                    -[If yes] Have you done this (intentionally) with Shards we haven't yet seen?                                                                                                                                                                                -[RAFO-bait-but-maybe-I'll-get-lucky-or-at-least-a-grin] In Oathbringer, when Hoid says "he and wisdom are often at cross-purposes", is he referring to the Shard that just wants to hide and survive?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          -In the same scene Hoid also mentions Kindness and Cynicism, are these possible synonyms for the names of other shards we don't know about yet?

3. As of writing the essays in Arcanum Unbounded, does Khriss know the Intents of all 16 Shards?

Autonomy/Trell Questions:

1. As of Sixth of the Dusk, has Autonomy abandoned First of the Sun?                                                                                                                                                                                              -Why doesn't Khriss recognize Autonomy's influence on First of the Sun in her Essays?

2. [assuming Trell is Autonomy, maybe I'll trick him] Is Trell an "avatar" of Autonomy (like the one she mentions in the Letter in Oathbringer) or is he an agent working with the Set?

3. Was Autonomy directly involved in killing Aona and Skai (as in present, working with Odium)?                                                                                                                                                    -[If yes] Could Odium have done it on his own?

Assorted Questions:

1. What does Endowment think of Nightblood?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    -[RAFO bait] Did she directly interfere with or influence his creation?

2. [has been RAFO'd but might be good to ask again] Is Edgli a dragon?

3. You've mentioned that the Dor is like a "plasma storm" and is very dangerous to travelers. Yet, we've seen many Elantrians on other worlds (Galladon, Riino, the Ire). Do Elantrians have an inherent immunity to the Dor as practitioners?                                                                                                                                                                                                                        -[if no] If the Ire had successfully taken up Preservation, would they have been able to restore the Dor, holding three Shards?

4. Was the infamous Worldhopping Kandra seen on-page in Oathbringer?

5. Can Shards have multiple Shardpools? For example, can Harmony have one in the basin and one on SoScad?                                                                                                                        -[If yes] Is this specific to Harmony as he holds two Shards, or could any Shard maintain multiple Shardpools?

Expanding List (hand out questions?)

1. How old is Silverlight, at the time of writing the Essays?

2. Do Cognitive cultural expectations affect a peoples' physical DNA? For example, Rosharans think of the Alethi as tall, dark-haired, lightly tanned. Does this make them more likely to grow to look that way?

3. What would happen if someone took a fabrial into Shadesmar? Specifically, what would happen to the spren?

4. Would a spanreed in the Physical Realm be able to communicate with its conjoined spanreed in the Cognitive Realm?

5. What would happen if an Elsecaller tried to transition to the Physical Realm while holding a glass bead from Shadesmar?

6. Is the first planet in the Iriali Long Trail Yolen?

2 minutes ago, Overlord Jebus said:

I'll nab a few of your questions @Khyrindor, I'll probably be asking them tomorrow as I have my own questions to ask. Yeah, it's a shame he won't be about on Sunday but the booth people are really cool! Make sure you check out the Way of Kings VR experience whilst you're out there! 

Thanks a lot! I totally will. I hope the booth is still there at least, I want some goodies. :P On that note, what's the fancy con exclusive of Elantris like? Is it just the Dragonsteel Leatherbound or is it anything different?

2 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Thanks a lot! I totally will. I hope the booth is still there at least, I want some goodies. :P On that note, what's the fancy con exclusive of Elantris like? Is it just the Dragonsteel Leatherbound or is it anything different?

I personally couldn't see any difference but I can ask. 

I also came up with two new questions to ask as it seems I'm going to get the chance to ask lots:

Was the entirety of Greater Rosharan System created by Adonalsium or just the Rosharan continent?

Is all solid manifestations of Investiture in the Physical realm metallic? If so why? If not, have we seen any? If so, what have we seen?

Well if you have time...

Spoiler

Does a region's cultural identity ever have anything to do with their sDNA?  Example, people expect Alethi to be tall, so they are more likely to be tall?
Can spren decide to break the bond with their humans at any point between the 1st Oath and the 5th Oath?
How many times did the Heralds/each Herald break and allow the Fused to return to Roshar between the beginning of the Oathpact and Aharietiam?

Has Eshonai left for the Beyond?

Edited by RShara

On 3/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, RShara said:

Can spren decide to break the bond with their humans at any point between the 1st Oath and the 5th Oath?

Spoilers for size.

Spoiler

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]
Can a spren willingly break their bond anytime between the First and Fifth Oath, with their Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]
*Very hesitant*  Well...yes...this is possible...

Essentially committing suicide isn't it though...

I just ascribe to that question...A spren could at any point break it.  Can they break it safely?  That's a different question.

Can they break it safely? *laughs*

There are methods in place where it can be stopped.  So yes it can be done.  But once you've started into this, once you've chosen on both sides, it's a dangerous process.  But yes it can be done, and it can be done safely.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, RShara said:
Spoiler

Has Eshonai left for the Beyond?

Q34.

Just looking through these, and thought I'd take credit for mine. I was the Questioner for #48#49, and #84

During the after-con event I also asked about the painting in Celebrant and if it was the same as the painting that Lightsong sees in Warbreaker. I got some suspicious hemming and hawing, so the similarity or distinctiveness of the painting is significant. 

13 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Just looking through these, and thought I'd take credit for mine. I was the Questioner for #48#49, and #84

During the after-con event I also asked about the painting in Celebrant and if it was the same as the painting that Lightsong sees in Warbreaker. I got some suspicious hemming and hawing, so the similarity or distinctiveness of the painting is significant. 

Can you clarify which questions you asked? The links I'm following are taking me to different #s. Alternatively, you can feel free make an Arcanum account and edit those in on your own.

So I was there on Sunday but did indeed miss Brandon and Pat. And the Shattered Plain VR signup was full, though I did watch the play through a little bit. I still had tons of fun at the event, and picked up some great cosmere fanart at least. 

Also, shout out to @CaptainRyan for being an awesome person to play the Mistborn House War game with! That alone made the trip worth it. 

Next year if Brandon is there we will try to go for all four days so we know we'll snag him.

1 hour ago, Overlord Jebus said:

@Khyrindor Oh my god I'm so sorry I completely forgot you were there on Sunday! I hope you had a great time! Which Cosmere fanart did you pick up?

No worries! Maybe you saw me around, I was in a blue hoodie and black backpack. I picked up three of Jemma M Young's pieces: Raoden, Elend and Vin, and the Fused (Venli?). they were out of Shallan by that time, unfortunately. 

Did you end up getting in any of my questions on Saturday, or is what's in Arcanum all that was recorded? (No worries if you didn't, we did get some awesome answers)

I did have a good time, though we did a lot more than just the ECCC while we were in town. We went to Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, walked along the pier and Pike's Market, played  Mistborn House War (as I mentioned) and headed up to the Sky View Observatory. All tons of fun. I hope your trip over the pond was fun and worthwhile as well!

29 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

No worries! Maybe you saw me around, I was in a blue hoodie and black backpack. I picked up three of Jemma M Young's pieces: Raoden, Elend and Vin, and the Fused (Venli?). they were out of Shallan by that time, unfortunately. 

Did you end up getting in any of my questions on Saturday, or is what's in Arcanum all that was recorded? (No worries if you didn't, we did get some awesome answers)

I did have a good time, though we did a lot more than just the ECCC while we were in town. We went to Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, walked along the pier and Pike's Market, played  Mistborn House War (as I mentioned) and headed up to the Sky View Observatory. All tons of fun. I hope your trip over the pond was fun and worthwhile as well!

Nice! I checked out Jemma's booth, I ADORED the Fused painting (I believe it was Leshwi).

And unfortunately not, I had R'sharas on my phone at the time so I asked hers first (After all of my own). He said no more just as I was about to move onto yours :(

I'm still out here for another 2 weeks so I might give some of that stuff a go!