[OB] What topic do you feel has been discussed to death?

MonsterMetroid

Firstly, every shipping thread on the shard. I mean how many times can little to no proof be spun into a theory of love or disaster that has little to no impact on the story as a whole. I'll admit that I personally do not enjoy stories that throw things in just for the sake of throwing them in. I am most thankful that Brandon has kept his stories on message instead of throwing extra things in just to create romances that do not in any way further the story.

Secondly, any thread that makes the claim of knowing what end game Hoid is playing at. While there are indications in WoB's and the story I believe that we are still a long way off from being able to make truly meaningful speculations as to what Hoid actually wants.  

Thirdly, Who will be a (insert KR order here)or something to that effect. There is no way to know and as a result it almost seems to be a useless venture until we get more proof.

Fourthly, all of the pre oathbringer speculation about may aladar I felt like I was drowning in all of those theories.

Interest  before Dullness, Energy before Exaustion, Discourse before Decision.  The Knights Ranting have risen again!!

20 minutes ago, Humming said:

Don't worry, the comments berating the romantic subplot are also pretty shameful to read.

All joking aside, I don't actually mind the subplot itself. I just feel like after roughly the first 25 pages the conversation was going in circles. 

10 minutes ago, Solant said:

All joking aside, I don't actually mind the subplot itself. I just feel like after roughly the first 25 pages the conversation was going in circles. 

I know, but it's the problem with only having 3 books as material and being so recent. New readers come, same old theories, guesses, etc. For example, in Spain Oathbringer hasn't been translated yet, so expect more to come hahaha.

2 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Fourthly, all of the pre oathbringer speculation about may aladar I felt like I was drowning in all of those theories.

Oh, so much this! I didn't read any of the previews or anything in the spoiler forum until after I had gotten the book and read it. I had no idea who May Aladar was. Then I'm reading through a thread on Adolin's sword and come across somebody complaining that Mayalaran is too similar to May Aladar, and it's bad form to have two important characters with such similar names. I thought I was having a stroke.

3 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

Oh, so much this! I didn't read any of the previews or anything in the spoiler forum until after I had gotten the book and read it. I had no idea who May Aladar was. Then I'm reading through a thread on Adolin's sword and come across somebody complaining that Mayalaran is too similar to May Aladar, and it's bad form to have two important characters with such similar names. I thought I was having a stroke.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I read the first two books three times, and still had to look it up:lol:

I should have mentioned this before, but I just want to be clear that attacking other people isn't allowed. No one here is doing that. People are certainly allowed to have their opinions. People are allowed to really want to talk about Shalladin, people are allowed to not want to do that. I think this thread is all in good taste and there's no malice involved on anything, but I just wanted to make that clear. People are entitled to opinions and we don't want to silence them. There's a difference between going into a thread you aren't interested in and stifling discussion--by saying something like "ugh really why even bother," which is obviously not cool--and saying "this theory keeps popping up and I'm kind of tired of it" in a separate thread. Just like it's very different from saying "wow X person needs to shut up, their ideas are stupid." See the difference? 

I don't think we should really silence some complaints, as there's a big difference with complaining about ideas versus complaining about people. Let's make sure this thread doesn't go past that. 

It's totally cool people love the A/S/K thread. It's also fine for people to think that it goes in circles. I think those are valid opinions that are allowed to be voiced and no one here is attacking people on either side there.

Of course, this thread is about more than that, but I just wanted to make that clear. 

20 hours ago, Calderis said:

The new rhythms are all tinged with anger/disgust.

Ah, it's been a while since I've heard this. A rhythm is just a beat.

yulerule
And that’s a harsher form, Ridicule?

Brandon Sanderson
That is just how the rhythms are named. I’ll leave it to your interpretation whether they are harsher or not. A rhythm is just a beat. Whether it is harsh or not depends on the interpretation of the person listening to it. But yes, you could have ridiculed people to Amusement before.

Frost is a separate discussion, but the rhythms themselves don't feel as indicative to me as you seem to think they are.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Ah, it's been a while since I've heard this. A rhythm is just a beat.

Frost is a separate discussion, but the rhythms themselves don't feel as indicative to me as you seem to think they are.

That's true. The interpretation isn't provided by the host though. They instinctively know the name of the new rhythms in their mind controlled state via the voidspren. 

Edited by Calderis

I felt that "Oathbringer wasn't as good and here's why" got a little carried away for a while. I get that some people are going to feel that way about it. But the amount of effort that went into explaining how/why/what could have been better when we know some 70 talented people gave serious input during the books development...I think it's safe to say that all these angles were discussed before publication.

"Did anyone else notice this thing that bugged me" is a pet peeve of mine because I always figure there's a good reason it's the way it is. Maybe I'm just giving Brandon too much credit...but he's earned it, in my opinion.

I don't spend much time on shipping threads - just not my thing. I'm happy to wait & see who Brandon puts together.

If a thread goes too far into theorizing future SA books, I'll stop reading it because to me it feels like fan-fic, and once again I want to wait for Brandon's "canon" story. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad folks have fun theorizing (I have some too & keep them in my head), and I get that posting to the forums adds to their enjoyment. But there've been times where someone's theory turned out to be a spoiler and ... I just don't want anything to spoil this wonderful story for me, ever, at all.

If a thread starts having a negative or critical tone (not often, but occasionally happens), I'll stop reading and go elsewhere.

Finally, I'm blessed with a really good memory, and if a Shard-er has posted rants, here or elsewhere with the same user name, I'll remember and tend to skip over what they post. Ranting is cathartic for the rant-er, but I personally don't find it entertaining to read - too much other great content out there!

Guest Procrastinationspren

I'm not even gonna mention shipping threads. It's good to see that there are other people that dislike that too.

One thing that really annoys me is theories based solely on plausibility. Someone thinks some weird thing, then comes and posts here completely sure it's correct. But here's the thing: just because something CAN happen, it doesn't mean it WILL happen. Yeah, there's no WoB disproving your super specific theory about how, I don't know, the Ghostbloods used a mistborn to shatter Adonalsium or whatever, but this is a guess so wild, in an universe of infinite possibilities, that I don't think it's worth discussing. Of course, I might eat my own words some day if one of these actually happen. What pisses me the most is that some times these bad theories gain more attention than good ones. And by good I mean plausible theories, that make sense and have a solid argument and evidence backing them up.

</rant>

Only threads/post I deliberately stay away from are the shipping threads and then the discussions on a characters morality (mainly looking at Adolin here). Not that there is anything wrong with discussing those topics I just feel like there is no resolution possible concerning those matters and it's an endless debate depending on your own views. 

I also kinda agree with what @Procrastinationspren said. Although I like a crackpot theory as much as the next sharder when they are based on something that takes a ton of suspension of belief and makes very little sense in the context of the story I usually checkout pretty quick. 

1 hour ago, Procrastinationspren said:

I'm not even gonna mention shipping threads. It's good to see that there are other people that dislike that too.

One thing that really annoys me is theories based solely on plausibility. Someone thinks some weird thing, then comes and posts here completely sure it's correct. But here's the thing: just because something CAN happen, it doesn't mean it WILL happen. Yeah, there's no WoB disproving your super specific theory about how, I don't know, the Ghostbloods used a mistborn to shatter Adonalsium or whatever, but this is a guess so wild, in an universe of infinite possibilities, that I don't think it's worth discussing. Of course, I might eat my own words some day if one of these actually happen. What pisses me the most is that some times these bad theories gain more attention than good ones. And by good I mean plausible theories, that make sense and have a solid argument and evidence backing them up.

</rant>

I'm with you on this one.

9 minutes ago, Storms! said:

Real quick, what's a shipping thread? Guessing who will end up together? Thanks

Traditionally, it's promoting the idea of two characters having a romantic relationship and explaining why you love the idea of them together.  Here, anything which discusses a romantic relationship is considered shipping, as some people seem to think Brandon plots and foreshadows every aspect of his books besides romantic relationships B)

@Dreamstorm thanks. That's what I thought, but hadn't heard the term before this thread so I wasn't sure. I've actually never read any of those, mostly due to lack of interest.

The two topics I think have been discussed to death:

1. Navani/the Sibling- It's an interesting idea, but there isn't much to go on and the discussion got tired very fast (for me anyway)

2. King T/The Diagram- Which is funny (ironic?) because I started what became a large thread about it. I was obv super into it, but now my eyes go glossy whenever I see/hear anything about it