[OB] What topic do you feel has been discussed to death?

MonsterMetroid

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Adolin and Shallan will either divorce

Yay I'm glad I was able to contribute to overused topics in someway haha.

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

The thing that bothers me more is the opposite of this. How could this character have possibly become a Radiant when we don't know of some terrible tragedy in their past. 

Yeah those posts kind of bother me as well. I actually made a whole thread to refute it but yeah it just turned into another mayalaran thread :P

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Is there some obscure convoluted plot twist which would allow this or that dead character to not really be dead?

Honestly I blame this one on brandon, since he hardly ever kills off main characters permanently and half the time it is a fake out when he does. WoR with Szeth and Jasnah did not help either

1 minute ago, MonsterMetroid said:

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Is there some obscure convoluted plot twist which would allow this or that dead character to not really be dead?

Honestly I blame this one on brandon, since he hardly ever kills off main characters permanently and half the time it is a fake out when he does. WoR with Szeth and Jasnah did not help either

I think this is more the Journey before the Destination kind of thing, Brandon's like Johnny Cash singing at Fulsom Prison, everyone deserves a chance to stand up and Do better, including the ones that seemingly died in the throes of their false belief. I LOVE that Szeth was given a second chance, and I LOVE that Jasnah is still alive, it's like if you had the power to go back in time and keep Martin Luther King alive or Cato the elder alive, wouldn't you have done it? Brandon writes ultimately with a moral imperative, and though it may not sink in on the first, second or third reading, eventually the linkage between godlike power and the morals lived up to will sink in, and the world will be a better place because people will start to think that, like Dalinar, I can "Stand Up and do better".

1 hour ago, RShara said:

This one is because Brandon said Shallan was 1 ahead of Kaladin at the end of WoR, and Kaladin was on 3.

Gatorgirl knows that WoB exists. She's complaining that other people are saying Shallan isn't in spite of that WoB.

2 hours ago, Govir said:

But there are so many WoB! Which one is it? You know, so I can know to send it to other people that ask this question, that I totally already know the answer to...

AHEM!

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

But it's there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

@Extesian I was hoping more for confusion, then bleeding out of the eyes, THEN laughter, but such is the nature of the world. We give thought wings and then said thought slinks off to the corner and wallows in its own feces until it dies. Such is creation and life, it would be sad really if I wasn't currently laughing so hard that blood was coming out of my eyes.

2 hours ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Yay I'm glad I was able to contribute to overused topics in someway haha.

Glad to be able to pass on the torch to someone else :ph34r:

2 hours ago, MonsterMetroid said:

It has been one of the most criticized elements of WoR: Brandon himself commented how he had indeed over-use the trope. So while "resurrection" is a theme within the Cosmere, he realized he needed to be more careful with it. He also commented how, within his first draft, he made it more obvious Jasnah has survived the attack, but the reviewers thought it was too... obvious, so he made less so. He later said this perhaps had not been the right decision as it made some readers feel dissatisfied by the number of "revival". 

In OB, he tuned down the theme and officially killing Eshonai and Elhokar. He also made it clear Helaran is... dead.

Another one which came to mind... The over-use of foreshadowing where every single sentence, word, chapter title is fore-shadowing to prove one reader's theory or another.

The whole Shallan - Kaladin - Adolin thing became a bit tiresome. I suppose that is clouded by personal feelings though, as I generally do not enjoy romance. If there was as heated an argument over the best scene in the series, I would be writing a dissertation length piece about "To Kill the Wind". Everyone has their thing.

I don't like it when a person attempts to quantify suffering to determine who can or cannot become a Radiant. I hate to even call it a topic, but I feel its played out, and distasteful.

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Thanks for keeping this topic civil, everyone! I'm so happy :D 

I don't post often, but I have been coming here nearly every day for about 3 years now. Part of what drew me to this site originally (other than an outright carnal need for answers) was how generally mature and thoughtful the discussions are on these forums. I wish the 17th shard ran the fandom for any number of other interests of mine. As a group, the folks who frequent this site are just fantastic.

*Edit- Missed opportunity for horrific wordplay.

13 hours ago, maxal said:

I definitely agree with the second one. I would add there are no textual evidence nor WoB I am aware of which states a Radiant should have Plate after the fourth ideal. Also, knowing most Skybreakers stagnate at the third order seems to indicate not all Radiants ever made it to the fourth/fifth oath and yet all had access to the Plate. I say, they all have access to it, they just do not know how to manifest it yet.

Oathbringer, From the Urithiru Gem Archive Epigraphs, Chapter 86, " "My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don't think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people?" "

Not necessarily proof. Perhaps it is different for the different orders.

Your point about knowing how to manifest the armor is something I had not thought about before, I just assumed it would be a "stretch for thy hand" kind of moment.

Edited by OldFilthyCasual

Cousins spren=Shardplate theory, in my opinion it has been discussed too much, although now with the windsprens appearing when Kaladin is close to say the fourth ideal it seems likely.

And Shipping threads.

Edited by Idealistic

9 hours ago, OldFilthyCasual said:

Oathbringer, From the Urithiru Gem Archive Epigraphs, Chapter 86, " "My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don't think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people?" "

I can never find the WoB when I want to (I should really just bookmark it...), but at least the Blades can be different for each order. I'd assume the Plate is the same. But I do think this is a direct indication that Windrunners (because it was recorded on a Sapphire) don't get plate until the Fourth Ideal (i.e. the one Kaladin almost said).

20 hours ago, OldFilthyCasual said:

Not necessarily proof. Perhaps it is different for the different orders.

Your point about knowing how to manifest the armor is something I had not thought about before, I just assumed it would be a "stretch for thy hand" kind of moment.

Well, I definitely missed this one :ph34r: I'll admit I never paid much attention to the epigraphs :ph34r: 

I think Dalinar's visions where he poses as the flying Radiant has part of the key as to why no Radiants has figured it out yet. It does seem as if there is a technique, a trick. Within old times, older Radiants would teach the younger ones, but right now our Radiant are pretty much left to themselves to figure out how everything works.

17 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I won't forget that. For once though, I was in the "what if he isn't dead camp" because he seemed to have a lot of potential. But yeah, I think he is dead and gone.

I was within the "he is dead" camp because I thought the twists required for him to be alive were too convoluted to be plausible. I also felt the story could not afford another "dead-not-dead" character. I never felt anything in particular towards Helaran, nothing good, nothing bad, a little annoyance at him abandoning his siblings to their abusive father.

That Odium = Passion is somehow valid. 

The new rhythms are all tinged with anger/disgust. Frost calls Odium "God own divine hatred, without the virtues that give it context." and he sucks the emotions from people that follow him. 

Hatred consumes. Passion inflames.

Every time I see it I'm like... We're taking Odium at his word? Really? 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

The new rhythms are all tinged with anger/disgust. Frost calls Odium "God own divine hatred, without the virtues that give it context." and he sucks the emotions from people that follow him. 

Ugh yeah.  Everyone calls him Odium except himself.  Yet we're going to believe him?  Does not compute lol.

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

Yeah it seemed farfetch to me I do think Odium believes it but I think he only views anger and hate as Passion I dont think he knows of any other emotions

The Oathbringer preview chapters.  Man, we talked those things to death.  And in really, really short timespans, so much so that it quickly became unrealistic to read all the responses.

But Storms was it fun to do at the time!