Word of Brandon from Huntington beach signing.

ericth

I attended the signing, and while it wasnt realistic to lurk about during the whole signing to see what questions he answered, here is what he gave in response to my own:

Q: What is Odium's edge. Vin and Ati killed each other but Rayse has downed 3 shards and survived. Was it skill, ability, numbers or possibly un-dispersed power? 

A:  Some combination of the above

Q: Could Sazed take down Rayse since he has two shards?

A: Rayse is VERY scared of Sazed. However, given Sazed is a coposite of two diametrically opposed shards, he finds it very difficult to act.

My brother and my questions (paraphrased a little), from the same signing:

Q: Was Adonalsium shattered intentionally, and if so, was the intention malevolent?

A: Yes, and RAFO

Q: Is the 17th Shard meant to represent a specific Shardic intent?

A: The 17th Shard has a specific purpose, and the name was chosen very deliberately.

Q: Could Sazed take down Rayse since he has two shards?

A: Rayse is VERY scared of Sazed. However, given Sazed is a coposite of two diametrically opposed shards, he finds it very difficult to act.

I'm glad he finally answered this one. I asked more or less the same question and he just said "Harmony is two shards in one". Which told me exactly nothing.

So this is +1 to Sazed being the most powerful thing in the Cosmere? That's how I'm taking it.

*Edit*

If I were Sazed, I'd look at Odium and say: "I'm going to preserve the people you seek to kill by ruining you. Let's get it on."

Edited by Galavantes

Good info on Adonalsium, and potentially interesting on the Seventeenth Shard. The name is obviously intentional (we know there are 16 Shards, so let's one-up that). But it's probably more meaningful than just +1. What's the implication of the number 17? The Shard that never was? The Shard they wish for? Was Adonalsium originally split into 17 Shards, but one was Splintered immediately after? Something else?

Interesting interpretation, Argent. I interpret that WoB to be saying that the Seventeenth Shard fancies itself to have an "Intent". So it's the 17th powerful entity in the cosmere with a singular purpose.

That's kind of what I was implying there with "the Shard that never was" - they consider themselves, for all intents and purposes, a Shard. Power, influence, intent, the whole package. A distributed Shard, if you will :)

• Chaos locked this topic