Los Angeles WoR Signing + Audio (Silence Divine Reading)

Hey guys and gals,

I recorded last night's signing with Brandon Sanderson in "Los Angeles" aka Huntington Beach =P Along with getting a Shardhunt code, an R.A.F.O card, and the audio of the whole event. I also may have received a new Ideal of the Knights Radiant? A reply from an Oathgate? Who knows! :) My book is signed:

To Kc,

These words are accepted.

Brandon Sanderson

All in all it was a long, but fun night. I had a great time talking with the other fans and even Brandon himself. The audio I've attached is about 45 minutes long. Enjoy!

~sbi

WoR_Tour-03052014_Part01.mp3

WoR_Tour-03052014_Part02.mp3

WoR_Tour-03052014_Part03.mp3

Edited by smearedblackink

0-2 he talks for a bit, cheers. Talks about why he made stormlight.

3-5 Hardest words to write were the three on the front, standing on the shoulders of giants, writing about a character in each book. Can't call it the book of endless pages.

5-6 Wrote the book of atlantis.

6-8 Needs a magic idea.

8-9 WOR is the longest fantasy book physically possible. More cheering. He loves Michael Weduifvhisfv's art.

9-11.00 more stuff about art.

And at around 11.10 the qand a starts.

First question. Yes, we will find out more about Hoid? as the series progresses

12.50 why is way of kings in a dark setting. Fantasy setting? Dunno. Brandon thinks 90s books were uncreative, he wants to push boundaries. Long answer. He likes to go to new places.

Video 2. 

0-3 Lift will be a main character in arc 2. He likes characters. Lift is a seed character on his internal wiki.

3-4 Steelheart is magic, not science.

4.30-6 alcatraz is coming back. He likes abusing his publishers with cliffhangers.

6-11. Are his books more meaningful than wheel of time. He feels wot is his, just as Dalinar is. Hoid and Dalinar were after wot. He rewrote the wheel of time. More wheel of time stuff. He likes finishing stories. He chose to finish wot forever.

11.20-13 why does he have traditional heroes? He wants to read about traditional heroes, everyone he knows is fundamentally good, he wants to hang out with his characters.

13. Next trilogy of Mistborn. SL 3 needs to be done first. Quickly. More banter happens after.

Next video. No 3. 

0-1 Mistborn needs to be made into a movie. He can smell a movie.

He starts reading around 3. Silence of Divine. Bacteria gives you super powers.

.I listened to the next part. A man had some creepy spirit girl following him, an echo of some bad job. They are in a floating city, upsidown, staring at magma and Ash (Around 4 mins). He is an incubator. High ranked, and something bad happened to him a few months ago. He is trying to stay unhealthy so he can better catch illnesses. He goes to a police station which I think doesn't look functional. He meets a woman, who is preparing to go out for something, possibly a prophesy.

Around 8 I got a bit confused. Lots of weird words. Things got smashed and stuff happened. He walked towards a door with flowry guards. He is some other race than them, but looks like them. This is a special place where only incubators are allowed.

The people there aren't exactly prisoners, and their containment aren't exactly cells, they just can't leave. 10.30. They were ill. They would stay there, holding an illness till they got better. Then the next person would come along. At around 11 they started listing superpowers. You got paid good money for this..

A young man hovered in the air reading a book (gravity surge like power? like the city maybe). An elderly woman tapped on a liquid, changing its color (transformation surge like power?). As long as the illness lasted, you gained some power. And he stopped there, after saying they were very dangerous.

It's a rough draft. He's laying down a character. He's written five pages I think. He also has an outline. Time is tight. So he probably feels your need for him to be writing other things. At least he didn't secretly write another novella.

He makes some announcements. I doubt there's anything more that I should note down. Photos and thanking Barnes and Noble.

Edited by Nepene

I can totally imagine Peter checking on Brandon at 2 AM, making sure he is asleep. While Brandon is just pretending, waiting for Peter to leave, so he can open up his laptop under the covers and write books he is not supposed to be writing yet :D

I've got the front row video from the Q&A's and reading of that night compiling now, hope to have it up on youtube this weekend and will post a link when online...

Wish I got a photo of my costume before I gave Brandon the sphere though :P ... 

Great complement for him to say that everyone should see the costume when he handed me my Szeth card though... I love wearing cosplays to his events, and conventions in general, but I also feel greatly unworthy of the honor of his praise of my costume!

I posted this already in the similar thread in the WoR forum, but I thought it belonged here as well.

These were the questions that my brother and I asked Brandon when our book was signed:

Q: Was Adonalsium shattered intentionally, and if so, was the intention malevolent?

A: Yes, and RAFO

Q: Is the 17th Shard meant to represent a specific Shardic intent?

A: The 17th Shard has a specific purpose, and the name was chosen very deliberately.

Aaa, you got Rambodin picture!

I am not sure what you mean by the "too still pool of water" - the Shardpool (i.e. the places where Shardic power seeps through in the physical realm, like the Pits of Hathsin for Ruin). If so, then we almost have it confirmed that one of the Shardpools is on the Hornpeaks, which is pretty awesome.