I think it's been translated. Here's a key: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/gallery/image/466-alethi-key-01/

Good job on figuring that out yourself, though! Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I know it has been mostly translated and I've spent a lot of time with that key ;) .  But there are still gaps in the translation (at least as far as I can tell after searching the forums, certainly in the translation on the first page of this thread) where the text is partially obscured by Shallan's lovely drawings of the lait flora.  The bold parts of my previous post are where I'm filling in uncertain/missing things in the first few lines. There are still sections that are unknown in the later lines.     

Yeah, I know it has been mostly translated and I've spent a lot of time with that key ;) .  But there are still gaps in the translation (at least as far as I can tell after searching the forums, certainly in the translation on the first page of this thread) where the text is partially obscured by Shallan's lovely drawings of the lait flora.  The bold parts of my previous post are where I'm filling in uncertain/missing things in the first few lines. There are still sections that are unknown in the later lines.     

Ah, okay. Cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, that's fantastic -- those gaps had been bugging me!

Nicely done!  :D

Any thoughts on the reconstructed word in line 5? Looks kinda' like "thurdmel" to me.

Wut I Belev To Be Gatwas Ther But Thu [                 ] [Thurdmel] [_dgr] [A____] m

What I believe to be gateways there but the [                 ] [third] [__] [____] [____]

Edited by Harakeke

Any thoughts on the reconstructed word in line 5? Looks kinda' like "thurdmel" to me.

Wut I Belev To Be Gatwas Ther But Thu [                 ] [Thurdmel] [_dgr] [A____] m

What I believe to be gateways there but the [                 ] [third] [__] [____] [____]

Yeah, I go back that section and stare at it periodically, but I haven't managed to get it to resolve into anything coherent yet.  Maybe one of these days something will strike me slightly differently... 

I finally got around to making a font for the Alethi women's script using my vector files. 

TkzEQoK.jpg

It's aligned so that you can use underlining to add the lines that connect words. You can write the symbols for ch, sh, and th by using uppercase C, S, and T, and you can write the start-of-sentence marker using a period. 

I set the letter c to default to a hard c (Alethi K) for ease of casual writing, because I think that's the most common pronunciation in English. For more accurate script, you'll want to change some c's in your text to s's manually based on how they sound. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19mpDUN_8rSYVk1NENNRmJKY0k/view?usp=sharing

Does it look okay?

Edited by Harakeke

That looks incredible. The only thing I might change is add Capitalization. It'll make it a little easier for writing and for transforming documents. But it looks amazing! Great job Harakeke!

Hmm. How best to handle the ch/th/sh, phonemes then?  You can change text to all lowercase with just a few clicks in Word.

Although -- I suppose it might be more elegant to set the *h letters as something else entirely, and then whip up a quick VB script macro to replace them in the text.

@Kurkistan - Perhaps. I'd need to add lines to the individual letters as well then. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Probably won't get to this again for a while though. If anyone else wants to tweak the .ttf file, have at it! :)

@Chouta --  No website to speak of. I've dabbled in a bit of linguistics, but I'm just doing this for fun.

I've been playing around with the untranslated highprince glyphs a bit more, but they're so stylized it's hard to make anything out for certain. I've got 2 or 3 possible readings for each one, but none I'm super happy with.

• 1 month later...

How do the Vorin numerals actually work? I notice that in the 1173 example, none of the bottom characters are present unless the numeral is a one. Also, do you figure that they read dates from the bottom upward?

EDIT: Here's an ultra-high quality* picture from my cellphone of a post-it note with an attempt at "2015". Is this right? If it's not, what's wrong?

GEtQs0Ub.jpg?1

* No.

Edited by kinxer

Yep -- that seems to be the case as far as I can figure based on the latitude markings on the Frostlands map. The numbers give me a headache though, because there doesn't seem to be a word for the number 0 -- at least, not that we've seen so far. So I think the English number "thirty" would be called "twenty-ten" in Alethi, even though it's still written 3-0.

That seems as decent a speculation as any for 2015 -- although I'd personally add at least a hint of a vertical line to the palah at the very top so as not to confuse it with vev:
post-1847-0-20198000-1430642582_thumb.pn

While I was at it I went ahead and messed around with the Vorin numeral key some to try and make it more clear. If there are any folks who are familiar with the calendar dates -- do the number names look correct here?

post-1847-0-38306700-1430642939_thumb.jp 

Edited by Harakeke

Thank you. It also occurs to me that distinguishing numbers like 7 and 99 would require significant care. It seems the widths and angles of numbers are vital...

Anyway, I don't know about the accuracy of canonical dates, but the newer key is much clearer to me.

Thank you. It also occurs to me that distinguishing numbers like 7 and 99 would require significant care. It seems the widths and angles of numbers are vital...

Anyway, I don't know about the accuracy of canonical dates, but the newer key is much clearer to me.

You're welcome!

There are likely number forms we just haven't seen yet that would help deal with that issue. The numerals in WoR really just run through the 20s. Compare 10 and 20 with 1 and 2 - there's probably a similar method for differentiating other numbers.

Edited by Harakeke

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to create a custom glyph image for my profile, but I have a problem. You only really read half the glyph, right? Well, which half do you read? Which of the versions below should I translate?

A. HalfShard|draShflaH

B. draShflaH|HalfShard

Please, help!

Edited by HalfShard

I'm trying to create a custom glyph image for my profile, but I have a problem. You only really read half the glyph, right? Well, which half do you read? Which of the versions below should I translate?

A. HalfShard|draShflaH

B. draShflaH|HalfShard

Please, help!

I believe B is correct

• 3 weeks later...

We still don't understand glyphs fully =\ The samples we have access to are far too limited to extrapolate all of the "glyph letters" reliably, so while we can guess some - maybe more than half - it's usually not enough for anything interesting. Plus, there is the downside that we don't actually know Alethi (shocker!), so the Windrunner glyph will really be a glyph produced from the women's script. Which is not how glyphs work :(

Right, there is also that. Writing glyphs is actually more similar to writing something in Alethi using the Thaylen alphabet (which also doesn't have vowels), and then arranging and stylizing the letters to form a glyph.

Also, don't glyphs leave out vowels? So we'd still only have the consonants, even if we were somehow exactly right in guessing.

Yes, well, I mean we would approximate as close as we could. I wonder if Brandon might answer if  someone asked him what the Alethi word for the Windrunners is.

Hey, just a thought, has anyone tried to translate the glyphs of the Knights Radiant? I think it would be amazing to say the name of the Windrunners in their proper Alethi name.

I've tried, and they just give me a headache. Unlike the women's script, the glyphs use actual Alethi words, not transliterated English. We can read glyphs like Bridge Four because we know how they're pronounced (in this case, "Vev Gesheh"). The translation key is still very rudimentary, and has a hard time with highly-stylized glyphs. Since we don't actually know the Alethi word for Windrunner (which is probably some horrendous mouthful like "Setavotachey") it's really hard to distinguish the actual letters from screw-you squiggles.  Once we completely crack the glyphs, we should be able to read just about anything. 

Also, don't glyphs leave out vowels? So we'd still only have the consonants, even if we were somehow exactly right in guessing.

That seems to be the case. They're similar to Thaylen in that regard.

A. HalfShard|draShflaH

B. draShflaH|HalfShard

Please, help!

Since the glyphs are bilaterally symmetrical, you can read either side and get all the letters. The convention seems to be to start at the top center and work down and out, so B would be most consistent with the glyphs we've seen so far.

Edited by Harakeke

Argent got his question answered, it seems:

Source:

Argent:

Two related questions:
1. Are the glyphs on The Way of Kings front sheet the Alethi glyphs for the Radiant orders and the Surges?
2. If so, can you tell us the name (i.e. the pronunciation) of the Windrunners glyph? Or, if you don't have this one, maybe another one?

Brandon:
1. Yes.
2. I'll see if we can get all of the pronunciations into the appendix of the third book.

As Weiry pointed out in the AMA, Brandon's store refers to the "Windrunners glyph" as jeseh. So either there is a hiccup somewhere, or that's the word for Windrunner, or possibly Windrunners. Can someone check if this transliteration could match what we see in the glyph itself?