The true name of the survival shard.

TheHeadHancho

I'm not sure if anyone has thought about or come up with something like this already, but from the discussion I read through no one had a very feasible name created for the “survival shard.” Brandon has stated that it just wants to hide and survive (the probable intent of the shard) and that it would be partnered with devotion to do something good. With that in mind, I was thinking of something along the lines of either salvation or protection. Both of these things I feel could partner with devotion nicely to form something similar to defense. I just wanted to rekindle this conversation and try to have a look at it from a different point of view. Thanks!

Great idea! 

Bow that I think about it, Branderson said that the Shards weren't always direct opposites, so keep that in mind. Another thing is that they are all aspects within or related to God - this is my personal theory, unconfirmed.

So...run away...hmmm...Retreat? Salvation?

I think Salvation is a good guess :)  

The intent of the Shard that "just wants to survive" is not Survival, and is "only tangentially related to it".

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/6-bands-of-mourning-release-party/#e326

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

I believe there have been discussions on this, but I could be wrong. I think there is a belief that the shard focused on survival may be Wisdom, because of a quote by Hoid in OB where he says OB spoiler:

Spoiler

“I am not one of those, for wisdom and I have always been at cross-purposes, and I have yet to learn the tongue in which she speaks.”

I like the concept but I don't like "Salvation" is a viable option. Adding on to what Leyrann said, salvation is a literal synonym of preservation. I don't think Brandon would make shards who's intents are close to being the same thing. 

As for Protection, some people think it could be a viable intent, or maybe "Safeguard". Others believe the opposite, thinking that the survival shard is something like Independence, Patience, Humility, or Diligence. 

1 hour ago, JPark317 said:

I believe there have been discussions on this, but I could be wrong. I think there is a belief that the shard focused on survival may be Wisdom, because of a quote by Hoid in OB where he says OB spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

“I am not one of those, for wisdom and I have always been at cross-purposes, and I have yet to learn the tongue in which she speaks.”

It's been discussed but it's an extremely tenuous argument. Anthropomorphizing abstract concepts is something people do it all the time. Mother Nature, Lady Luck...

16 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Autonomy has got that covered already. 

Random concept: Aging (that is the word in english, right?) A Shard who wants to get really old, and just live as long as possible. It could also be called Experience, or something of that sort.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking more towards the isolation aspect that could be caused by independence. So I change my answer to "Isolation", which is not a good idea at all lol. 

Aging is the right word. Maturity or Longevity could be used in place of Experience, maybe. I think Experience would just be seen as Knowledge and potentially Wisdom. But I don't know about there being a Shard that just wants to get old. Without getting bogged down in a theological debate, I think it's safe to say that immortality is an inherent quality in a "god" or divine being. Also, wanting too age or getting really old isn't tangentially related to Survival, it is survival. Another form of it.

Edited by Kered

4 hours ago, Kered said:

I think it's safe to say that immortality is an inherent quality in a "god" or divine being. 

Wouldn't the desire to live long be encompassed by preservation? We see that he was upset by TLR's death and admired him for living so long.In order for it to be different from preservation, something would have to encompass that Idea of existing as long as possible otherwise I feel it is too close to the idea of preservation.

Survival instinct is a primitive reflex response to a percieved threat. Could that Shard be something that encompass the base instincts, or represent Instinct directly ?

Edit : I first started thinking about something like egoism/selfishness, but it didn't feel fitting

Edited by Demiandre
additional comment

Perhaps the shard is surviving through nonintervention. So it’s “smart enough to stay out of it” and just nullifies it’s direct ablity to create. I say this because: 1. I know Brandon stated that shares have an innate intent to create and 2. This shard is not inhabiting a planet.

Maybe... Ommision...?

On 1/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, TheHeadHancho said:

Perhaps the shard is surviving through nonintervention. So it’s “smart enough to stay out of it” and just nullifies it’s direct ablity to create. I say this because: 1. I know Brandon stated that shares have an innate intent to create and 2. This shard is not inhabiting a planet.

Maybe... Ommision...?

Technically, a Shard is not inhabiting a planet. Brandon hasn't actually confirmed whether it and the shard that 'just wants to hide and survive' are one and the same. But he has confirmed that the Shard's desire to survive is only tangentially related to its Intent and it's mostly just being aware of what's going on (with Odium) and not wanting any part of it.

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

My guess for this Shard's intent is Awareness. Like a Shard that is simply innately aware of everything going on in the Cosmere, watching and understanding. Seems to me like that something that would fit Adonalsium. We can assume the ultimate manifestation of godly power is omnipresent and omniscient, and I think it's same to assume that an Intent like Awareness would be omniscient. A Shard that is all-knowing, but lack the other attributes that make it able use that omniscience to interfere. So it hides away.

Perhaps it's hiding and surviving because it's aware of what Odium's been up to and knows that it could be on that "hit list" when other Shards were killed because they were taken by surprise. Or perhaps there's a big Cosmere-wide threat other than Odium that this Shard knows about (and could be the only one fully Aware of it). Whatever the case, my bet's on Awareness as the true name of the Survival Shard.

• Chaos locked this topic