Is Kal's swordmaster… SPOILERS

ranstang94

Ok, forgive me if I misspell names, I have the audible edition of WoR. 

-Spoilers-

Is Zile Vasher? I haven't finished the book I just got to the part where Kal asked to learn how to fight Shards. Zile said he expected a voice in his head... Nightblood? At first I thought he was Demoux but that doesn't seem to fit now.

It's Zahel, and yes. He is Vasher. Congrats on picking that up without help, I didn't realize until reading the forums.

Oh, we have direct confirmation on this? Where, might I ask? (I do like having my links)

Peter definitely confirmed it at the release, so that's good enough for me. Also, Brandon told us that Vasher was actually in Way of Kings Prime so, he's been a part of this story since the very beginning. 

I totally missed this one too. I was actually talking to Eric as I finished my readthrough about "Oh no, Nightblood! Where's Vasher? Did Vasher die?" And he just kinda laughed at me and said "Oh... you didn't see Vasher?"

um, can anyone tell me who in Way of Kings prime was Vasher? I just finished my read through of WoK on monday before WoR released and totally missed him... 

Way of Kings prime as in an initial draft of it, before it was published. Probably only a handful of people got to read that version.

That'll do, I suppose. The release video/audio isn't up yet, is it?

Not that I know of. Eric and I were running the trivia table downstairs so I didn't even get to hear the Q & A. This was during a personal convo with Peter during the night though. (The group of us volunteers just kinda chatted with Peter about things for a few hours while Brandon was personalizing books.)

Way of Kings prime as in an initial draft of it, before it was published. Probably only a handful of people got to read that version.

Yep. We've got a few cool tidbits about it, but the series is a very different thing from its original form, it seems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nightblood is just about as far as he's willing to go. To the uninitiated, Nightblood is essentially "another sword with way too much power that was just given to a crazy man". There's no need for them to get into the specifics of his origins or anything: he can just be treated as a black sword box of death.

@Feather

Thanks. :)

Edited by Kurkistan

I asked Brandon this and he RAFO'd it then went on to explain, without directly saying YES, that the character was in the original version by another name... So seems very likely that he is Vasher/Kalad the Userper (Think that was his other name).

Where is Vivenna then? I thought those two might become more than just Student/Master

Likely dead... This is several hundred years after Warbreaker and Viv isn't a Returned. She doesn't get immortality from investiture like Vasher Kalad Zahel does. Sadly...

Likely dead... This is several hundred years after Warbreaker and Viv isn't a Returned. She doesn't get immortality from investiture like Vasher Kalad Zahel does. Sadly...

All hope is not lost! If she managed to get ~2,000 Breaths, she'd reach the Fifth Heightening and not age.

It's been a long time since reading Warbreaker.  When reading about Zahel My first through was he could be Ishi (Pious|Guiding|old man with long beard).  Could Vasher/Zahel also be Ishi as well?  Zahel being Ardent|combat teacher|old'ish looking with a beard?  I don't see that it could be out of the question with another apparent Herald, Nalan, giving Nightblood to Szeth2.0.

Edited by gravytrain

Keep in mind that travel between worlds makes time go fuzzy. Just because it's been a few hundred years since warbreaker, it doesn't mean that Zahel/Viv lived through them.

5-th heightening stops aging, though. Just measly 2000 breaths!

• 1 year later...