Could pewter burning heal spiritual damage?

Housedunn

No; pewter increases strength and durability. However, it doesn't enhance healing very much or at all. That's more the territory of...Regrowth! And Gold Feruchemy!

But sadly, not pewter, in either Allomancy or Feruchemy.

9 hours ago, Housedunn said:

The question that i have today if a mistborn were to burn pewter, would they be able to heal spiritual damage, and more importantly, a cut from a shardblade?

No, allomantic pewter just seems to improve the physical body. Strength, stability, stamina, self-repair. It doesn't seem to extend to the spiritual in any way.

6 hours ago, kenod said:

If Allomantic pewter healed spiritual damage, wouldn't it be impossible to be a pewter savant?

Maybe. But I don't think conventional healing in the Cosmere, like gold feruchemy, can undo changes due to savantism, because those are fundamentally changing your spiritual aspect, not exactly damaging it. 

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Maybe. But I don't think conventional healing in the Cosmere, like gold feruchemy, can undo changes due to savantism, because those are fundamentally changing your spiritual aspect, not exactly damaging it. 

Ah, alright, I thought it was a form of damage.

8 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

No, allomantic pewter just seems to improve the physical body. Strength, stability, stamina, self-repair. It doesn't seem to extend to the spiritual in any way.

Surgebind is the same thing though. It can heal Spiritual damage but the Spiritual damage to become a surgebinder becomes who you are. Maybe this can apply to pewter also, healing spiritual damage, but but not healing what you are

2 hours ago, Housedunn said:

Surgebind is the same thing though. It can heal Spiritual damage but the Spiritual damage to become a surgebinder becomes who you are. Maybe this can apply to pewter also, healing spiritual damage, but but not healing what you are

Pewter doesn't heal you though, it just improves your physical body, including natural healing. I don't quite understand the parallel you're drawing between pewter and stormlight. 

On 1/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, Walin said:

No; pewter increases strength and durability. However, it doesn't enhance healing very much or at all. That's more the territory of...Regrowth! And Gold Feruchemy!

You are correct. I was confusing Pewter with Gold for some reason.

Though I would be interested to find out if Gold can heal a shardblade wound.

F-Gold can heal shardblade wounds, with an asterisk.

Questioner

Could a bloodmaker heal a Shardblade wound?

Brandon Sanderson

Could a...whatmaker? Oh, could a bloodmaker heal a Shardblade wound? Um, yes, yes they could. So, what...so, yes, this is possible. (Long pause) Is it possible? I haven't actually thought about it. I have to work through the mechanics of the magics. Jury's out. Jury's out. I've gotta go and look at the actual mechanics, so I'm gonna "jury's out" on that one. That's a read and find out as, you would think I'd figured that one out, because I'm planning for the conflicts but I haven't, like... So what's happening with the healing on Roshar is that they are using Stormlight to bridge the severed soul and glue it back together, right. So, the magic of bloodmaking is different to an extent, in that it is prompting healing directly from the body, right... I'm gonna go with yes, until I look at it but, jury's out.

Earlier Brandon was asked this and said much more definitively that F-Gold could heal shardblade wounds but this response is newer and it sounds like he's going back and forth on it. But even with the hemming and hawing the answer does seem to be 'yes'.

Edited by Weltall

Very unlikely. with some exceptions Scadrial has been mentioned as a 'low Investiture' world in terms of how much of it is actually going through you relative to places like Roshar, (paraphrased, but see here) so the amount of Investiture-based resistance you get from burning a metal at the moment of impact isn't likely to make much of a difference. A charged metalmind can block a Shardblade to an extent, depending on how full it is.

Questioner

How many smacks would it take from a Shardblade to break, say, a metalmind.

Brandon Sanderson

A metalmind? Depends on how much it's invested.

F-Gold would theoretically work (subject to the caveat in Brandon's response above) not because of the Investiture itself but what it's doing as the Shardblade is hitting you, ie healing the damage as it's being inflicted. Pewter (or any other metal you're burning or attribute you're tapping) wouldn't provide much resistance.

Now, while looking up WoBs to see if people have asked Brandon about shardblades vs much more heavily Invested people, I started wondering. We know for example that Returned and even the Godkings (who are heavily Invested) are just as fragile as normal humans so how would a shardblade react to them? I'm pretty sure the Divine Breath alone qualifies as enough innate Investiture to resist the Spiritual damage, but would the shardblade just look at that and go 'okay, time to be a normal bit of sharp metal now' and just cut them normally or would it get blocked as if it were hitting shardplate and only damage the Breaths until the level of Investiture wasn't enough to resist the blade? Same thing for Elantrians (not counting potential defenses like Aon Edo) since they're extremely Invested individuals. Brandon was asked about a Reod Elantrian vs a shardblade and said it would be weird, treating them as half-dead and half-alive and might cut either way. But I don't think anyone's asked specifically about other cases.

On 1/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, Walin said:

Hero of Ages, spook lost his pewter spike, Sazed says that if he could burn pewter he would have healed up considerably by now.

I can't quote the text right now. Too many times when vin was hurt, pewter was given regularly to heal, just like stormlight spheres when Kaladin was hung up to die by Sadeus. 

The color came back to Elend's cheeks after taking the nugget and vials. To work that fast, yep, healing.

Not just dexterity and strength of body.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:38 AM, tabitreader said:

Hero of Ages, spook lost his pewter spike, Sazed says that if he could burn pewter he would have healed up considerably by now.

I can't quote the text right now. Too many times when vin was hurt, pewter was given regularly to heal, just like stormlight spheres when Kaladin was hung up to die by Sadeus. 

The color came back to Elend's cheeks after taking the nugget and vials. To work that fast, yep, healing.

Not just dexterity and strength of body.

Yeah, it enhances all physical traits of the body, including natural healing speed, but it's not anything close to F-gold. And it's physical only, so no spiritual healing. 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:25 AM, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Would it render a shard blade closer to a normal sword when used to cut someone burning pewter? 

I think There are WoB that it is harder for a shard blade to cut things that are invested so...

If being invested were enough, then Stormlight would prevent Shardblade cuts as well.

9 hours ago, tabitreader said:

Is there a difference between Scadrians and Rosharans? Being voidbringers from an unknown world we may never know if they differ.

Spoiler

Rosharans come from a pre-shattering planet 

while Scandrial humans were made by Preservation and Ruin, post-shattering 

Edited by Skip Hates Dragons
OB spoilers