Jostling In Speed Bubbles Explanation

Weux082690

It seems the explanation for why objects get jostled as they enter and leave speed bubbles can be found from this WoB (Emphasis mine):

Kurkistan

If Wayne was inside of a speed bubble and punches somebody who's standing outside it, what's happening with his fist and them: are they like sucked into the bubble, or what?

Brandon Sanderson

So, I have... So exiting a speed bubble, while it's going, has weird ramifications on lots of things. It would be really hard to punch somebody through a speed bubble--

Kurkistan

So would the surface like distend around his fist--

*Illustrates with fist "stretching out" invisible film*

Brandon Sanderson

It's going to steal your momentum, but if you actually managed to do it, then-- yes. Anything in the speed bubble that's touching through is counted as being as part of the speed bubble.

Source

The trick, it seems, is that momentum is a vector, not a scalar. This stealing of momentum has a direction to it. If an object is traveling in a different direction than the direction of the stealing, it will be jostled.

Sidenote: This stealing of momentum can also explain why light coming out of the speed bubble isn't blueshifted. Since the frequency of light is related to its energy (because of weird quantum stuff), and its energy is related to its momentum (because of weird relativity stuff), stealing momentum from a photon will lower the frequency of the light.

Wow. This is really cool. I assumed the non-phaseshifting was due to the fact that time bubbles can't ever partially affect an object. Hence, the photon traveling in the bubble would have its same momentum relative to "local time" in the bubble. Dimness results from the numbers of photons entering at a time, much like a high-speed camera.

Unless those are phaseshifted too...Huh. Time to try and research Realmatic effects on physics.

I think right now a different headcanon is in order: that there is no change in momentum at all for objects. They instead have their time-speed, per se, shifted. While Brandon said that something can't be half-in, half-out of a bubble, it may be that the shifting in movement through time happens gradually through an object, over a very short amount of time. This might account for the deflection of objects entering and exiting time bubbles. Since light moves at the speed of causality, the whole speed-transition happens all at once (because there's no time to affect it on parts of it at a time) so there's no change in momentum.

Not sure about my theory, however.

• Chaos locked this topic