Whilst retracting votes is certainly appreciated, it isn't necessary. When tallying votes, I'll take the last vote a player makes in red as the vote they intend to make.

In order to clear up further confusion that has arisen, PMs are open during day cycles, until there are no Edgedancers alive. Please include Stink and myself in all PMs created.

8 minutes ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

Did you ever retract your first vote on gecko in green? 

Ok you did. Vote count incoming. 

Weasel (2)- Gecko, Ostrich

Penguin (2)- Scorpion, Iguana

Mouse (1) Dingo

Dingo (3)- Falcon, Chameleon, Dragonfly

Elephant (1) Hyena

Axolotl (1)-Swan

Scorpion (2) Tuatara, Albatross

Crocodile (2)- Gorilla, Elephant

Swan (4)- Gecko, Meerkat, Axolotl, Zebra

Heron (1)- Beagle

Meerkat (1) Toucan

I think this is right. 

Thanks. This is helpful. But you have Gecko’s vote on Weasel still, which should be on Swan only.

So as things stand now, Swan is getting lynched. This is interesting. Let’s look at who’s voting on Swan.

Gecko: seems like a vote in retaliation to Swan’s vote on them, which was later retracted. Bad reason.

Meerkat: trying to generate discussion and provide an alternative candidate for the lynch. Guess that worked. Had mild elim suspicions on Swan. 

Axoltol: Had vague “suspicions” of Swan, and wanted a tied vote, though I would like to point out that if that’s really their motive than they should probably retract their vote on Swan to re-tie things. It’s not the worst reason for a lynch, but I would like more of an explanation if they’re keeping their vote on Swan.

Zebra: Just jumped into the game and joined the lynch based on a elim read on Swan and the potential for the lynch to provide info. 

So we have four players voting for different reasons on the same person. An active one at that too, though Swan can’t really complain about that given his strong stance against lynching inactives. 

With that said, do we want to lynch Swan? If so, we need to consolidate votes. The problem with the 3 votes on Dingo is that a Bondsmith or Willshaper could easily tie or swing the vote (not to mention that there may be multiple of each, with some being Elims). People with only 1 vote on them aren’t likely to be lynched, so unless we want a last-second bandwagon on one of them, those votes could help solidify the lynch on Swan. The alternative to Swan is Dingo, who I’d like to lynch. He’s made a lot of short posts that don’t contribute much, and I don’t like the fact that given multiple opportunities to explain himself, he has not done so. His vote on Mouse seems strange, and his proclivity for avoiding attention by not posting comes across as suspicious to me. Plus, I’d rather not kill an active member of the village over a semi active one who hasn’t helped much. Just my two cents, but as I said, if we want to swing this lynch we should do it now.

I'm still put off by mint herons lack of saying anything, but I think dingo is the better lynch, for the same reasons Dragonfly states. Plus, i think lynching minimal participants is a great idea, because that's one place elims like to hide, and it encourages more activity, because complete inactives are solved by pinch hitters. Unfortunately, that creates a tie, which I don't like, but hopefully we can convince more people to join in to make it so it can't be manipulated. 

2 minutes ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

I guess ill put my vote onto [/red] Dingo (I hope that is how that works, I have no idea.)

They posted 6 times, I believe that I counted right, and didn't actually say anything useful in any of them. They has a random vote that they haven't retracted, and I don't have much else to go on. 

I had to learn too. It’s [color’=red]vote[/color],

without the apostrophe.

Edited by Ivory Dragonfly

1 hour ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

Did you ever retract your first vote on gecko in green? 

Ok you did. Vote count incoming. 

Weasel (1)- Ostrich

Penguin (2)- Scorpion, Iguana

Mouse (1) Dingo

Dingo (5)- Falcon, Chameleon, Dragonfly, Beagle, Crocodile.

Elephant (1) Hyena

Axolotl (1)-Swan

Scorpion (2) Tuatara, Albatross

Crocodile (1)- Gorilla, Elephant

Swan (4)- Gecko, Meerkat, Axolotl, Zebra

Heron (1)- Beagle

Meerkat (1) Toucan

I think this is right. 

No it's not, Gecko has voted twice on this count. Darn it. 

All fixed, hopefully. 

So this is the new vote count. (My edits are strikethrough and underlined) To make this more simple, this is all that really needs to be known.

Dingo (5): Falcon, Chameleon, Dragonfly, Beagle, Crocodile

Swan (4): Gecko, Meerkat, Axolotl, Zebra

As the vote stands, it is highly likely that either Dingo or Swan will be lynched. With only a vote separating them, vote manipulation is a key factor. 

55 minutes ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

With that said, do we want to lynch Swan? If so, we need to consolidate votes. The problem with the 3 votes on Dingo is that a Bondsmith or Willshaper could easily tie or swing the vote (not to mention that there may be multiple of each, with some being Elims). People with only 1 vote on them aren’t likely to be lynched, so unless we want a last-second bandwagon on one of them, those votes could help solidify the lynch on Swan. The alternative to Swan is Dingo, who I’d like to lynch. He’s made a lot of short posts that don’t contribute much, and I don’t like the fact that given multiple opportunities to explain himself, he has not done so. His vote on Mouse seems strange, and his proclivity for avoiding attention by not posting comes across as suspicious to me. Plus, I’d rather not kill an active member of the village over a semi active one who hasn’t helped much. Just my two cents, but as I said, if we want to swing this lynch we should do it now.

(Underline mine) This sums up the Dingo lynch, and is probably why Beagle and Crocodile added their votes to it. Between Swan and Dingo, I do not have a true preference. As Dragonfly said, the Swan lynch did generate discussion. The Dingo lynch also served the same purpose, (providing a different lynch candidate to Gecko, more active, and generated discussion). Dingo has not been a truly inactive player, but is just active enough to not be classified as inactive, as Dragonfly explained.

Both lynches have achieved the goals I set out earlier. To prevent more vote manip, Swan, Dingo.

Mauve Crocodile

Sorry for missing 24 hours, everyone. I was taken up with a family get-together and related activities most of the day yesterday. As a result, I wasn't here to take my vote off of @Mauve Crocodile in a timely fashion. But now that they've shown up, I have no reason to keep the vote there.

On the day 1 lynch discussion, I did see Seonid's rather passionate rant about it in LG41. It was an interesting idea, but IIRC, it was only useful if there wasn't a lot of discussion or any good reads D1. We have 7 pages of discussion here, and a reasonable amount of it is actually game related. I don't think that lynching an inactive is useful right now.

It looks like Dingo and Swan are the lynch targets at present? I've just read through the whole thread, and I can't tell what the reasons for voting either are. Anyone want to enlighten me? Maybe it's just the sheer volume of the thread, but I'm having issues following the thread of the arguments.

7 minutes ago, Sapphire Elephant said:

Mauve Crocodile

Sorry for missing 24 hours, everyone. I was taken up with a family get-together and related activities most of the day yesterday. As a result, I wasn't here to take my vote off of @Mauve Crocodile in a timely fashion. But now that they've shown up, I have no reason to keep the vote there.

On the day 1 lynch discussion, I did see Seonid's rather passionate rant about it in LG41. It was an interesting idea, but IIRC, it was only useful if there wasn't a lot of discussion or any good reads D1. We have 7 pages of discussion here, and a reasonable amount of it is actually game related. I don't think that lynching an inactive is useful right now.

It looks like Dingo and Swan are the lynch targets at present? I've just read through the whole thread, and I can't tell what the reasons for voting either are. Anyone want to enlighten me? Maybe it's just the sheer volume of the thread, but I'm having issues following the thread of the arguments.

Essentially, dingo is a minimally active. He hasn't actually contributed, despite being asked to. Lynching minimally actives makes it harder for elims to hide in the shadows, and I think Swan is village, so I think Dingo is a better alternative. No day one lynch can really be considered perfect, but you have to start somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

Axoltol: Had vague “suspicions” of Swan, and wanted a tied vote, though I would like to point out that if that’s really their motive than they should probably retract their vote on Swan to re-tie things. It’s not the worst reason for a lynch, but I would like more of an explanation if they’re keeping their vote on Swan.

I didn't immediately retract my vote on Swan, because the way Swan's post was worded, I thought it would just lead into a spiral of votes and retractions to keep it tied or not tied.

I was suspicious of Swan for a lot of the same reasons Salmon Meerkat was, but Dingo seems to be a better choice for the Day 1 lynch. From what I gather, the argument against them is more about them being minimally active and not so much initial impressions from posts, which seems a bit more logically sound. I'll at least take my vote off of Coral Swan for the time being.

Squawk couldn't believe how quickly the town went to braize. There was talks of lynching town members to provide an example of what happens to murderers... of course the ones being lynched were not able to be directly associated with the murder at all. Storms as far as Squawk knew the details of the murder hadn't even been released yet! But I suppose everyone wanted to feel like they were doing something productive, even if it was wrong.

Squawk decided maybe it was timefor her to leave her pond to make her way over to the townspeople and see if she could discover any more details.

Squawk waddled her chicken body over to the edge of the crowd gathering. She really didn't want to do this because she knew that some of the townfolk preffered to pretend she didn't exist associated with whispers of "Unnatural" and "old magic" when she had to speak with the more opinionated of the townsfolk. 

"Do we even know how the Blacksmith was killed? Perhaps that would help us know who to lynch if we really must do this right away." Squawk squawked.

2 hours ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

Gecko: seems like a vote in retaliation to Swan’s vote on them, which was later retracted. Bad reason.

Ruuuuude. I voted on Swan because they cast votes in a suspiciously noncommittal way.

I for one am perfectly ready to accept responsibility for helping lynch Swan, be Swan an elim or a villager.

Edit: Reading up to the most recent part of the thread, Swan isn't getting lynched at this point. That's okay, but I really haven't looked at Dingo very closely. So, for now, my vote will stay put. I need to read Dingo's posts to have a verdict.

Edit #2: Well, I've read all of the stuff about Dingo. I'll level with you, I don't really see the case for it. Dingo said a bunch of short NAI comments. The got voted on for varying activity levels, which they confirmed was a timezone thing. I get it if you want to lynch a less active person, but in that case, why not lynch the least active person that isn't likely to be replaced by a pinch hitter anytime soon? I do not believe the Dingo lynch is a good choice, so I re-affirm my vote on Swan.

Also, everyone seems to be worried about leaving this lynch open to vote manipulators. I would like to suggest that it's actually a very good idea to make the D1 lynch close. The main thing we get out of a D1 lynch is information. If the lynch is close, that means more people are involved, and we can watch and see what the vote manipulators do. This ends up giving us a lot more information.

I mean, sure, maybe in the late game, we want to make absolutely sure that vote manipulators can't swing a lynch. But right now, this early in the game? I think that protecting against vote manipulation is more just an excuse for early game bandwagoning.

Edited by Taupe Gecko

AG4/AN1 - Night 1: Dingo Bingo

Sherrah stood before the fire, smiling at the children and the parents who had come with them. Dangerous times, she supposed, meant they couldn’t run about on their own as usual. 

“Two deaths, today, and so a deadly story to accompany them,” she said solemnly. 

“Once upon a time,” she began, “a very, very long time ago, there was a tiny village, much like our very own, and it was terrified.”

The flames darkened, showing images of screaming villagers and a man hanging from a gallows-tree. 

“Each night, one of their number died, and each day, they chose another of their number to blame. But the deaths continued.”

Blood and death and darkness, consuming the fire completely.

“Sometimes they were right, and had found a murderer. But there were many murderers, and the innocents dwindled by the day.”

Then, stillness. An empty, deserted town, with a few survivors staring dully around them. 

“In that particular village, they managed. They survived, or a few of them did, and the murderers died. But at the cost of so many lives…”

The vision shifted to see the blood spattering the ground. “I do not ask that you stop this course,” Sherrah said, “for I know no other ways to stop this cycle of murder. But please, please, take care. This has happened before, and it does not always turn out so well.”

The picture faded. “I pray to Honor Almighty that there be a village standing when this ends.”

45CCA5BC-FD52-469A-849E-4599A084C65A.thumb.jpeg.32d29a815bb1c6a490771879fcc49b9a.jpeg

Melon Dingo was lynched. They were a Village Edgedancer.

Vote Count
Melon Dingo (6): Salmon Meerkat, Oxblood Beagle, Ivory Dragonfly, Pearl Chameleon, Emerald Falcon, Mauve Crocodile
Amethyst Scorpion (3): Cream Tuatara, Charcoal Hyena, Magenta Albatross
Chartreuse Penguin (2): Amethyst Scorpion, Saffron Iguana
Azure Mouse (1): Melon Dingo
Coral Swan (1): Quartz Zebra, Taupe Gecko
Indigo Weasel (1): Fuchsia Ostrich
Salmon Meerkat (1): Sunburst Toucan
Violet Axolotl (1): Coral Swan

Night 1 will last for 24 hours, until Tuesday 16 January at 10pm GMT. 

bla_1516140000.png

Player List
1. Amethyst Scorpion
2. Azure Mouse - Hermux Tantamoq
3. Amber Vulture
4. Charcoal Hyena
5. Chartreuse Penguin
6. Coral Swan - Elyle
7. Cream Tuatara
8. Emerald Falcon - Aldrick
9. Fuschia Ostrich
10. Indigo Weasel
11. Ivory Dragonfly - Nolan
12. Magenta Albatross
13. Mauve Crocodile
14. Melon Dingo - Quentisan
15. Mint Heron
16. Onyx Flamingo - Squawk
17. Opal Lion
18. Oxblood Beagle - Jai
19. Pearl Chameleon
20. Plum Rhinoceros
21. Quartz Zebra
22. Saffron Iguana - Emalia
23. Sage Kangaroo
24. Salmon Meerkat
25. Sapphire Elephant
26. Scarlet Octopus
27. Sunburst Toucan - Vanna
28. Taupe Gecko
29. Turquoise Gorilla
30. Violet Axolotl

If a character name is not included, please PM myself and Stink in your GM PM so that it can be added.

Anonymous Account Rules

Spoiler

Please sign up by PMing both Stink and myself, with your PM in the format: AG4: [Your Name]. At the start of the game, you will be issued an anonymous account. There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.
1. Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued. Wilson, Stink and I will have access to all anonymous accounts for the duration of the game.
2. Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the accounts of the GMs. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.
3. Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE, whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Players wishing to spectate rather than play should PM Stink and myself for a link to the spectator doc. Questions and rules clarifications should be submitted in your sign up PMs, and will be posted by myself in the signups thread.
4. Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, signature, and avatar. 

1 hour ago, Taupe Gecko said:

Ruuuuude. I voted on Swan because they cast votes in a suspiciously noncommittal way.

I would think that only an eliminator would have reason to be committed to a specific vote early during D1. If I have very little reasoning behind my vote, then logically it should take very little to change my mind.

Also, its easy to commit to a vote that doesn't mean anything. My current vote is actually a perfect example of that, although it wasn't intended as such. It's been in the same place for a while, but I haven't gone to the effort to convince anyone to join me, and thus am not generating any useful information (I will note that there is nothing I can do about that at this point, since the lynch is basically decided by now). My "non-committal" votes were arguably much more helpful to the village.

1 hour ago, Taupe Gecko said:

Also, everyone seems to be worried about leaving this lynch open to vote manipulators. I would like to suggest that it's actually a very good idea to make the D1 lynch close. The main thing we get out of a D1 lynch is information. If the lynch is close, that means more people are involved, and we can watch and see what the vote manipulators do. This ends up giving us a lot more information.

I mean, sure, maybe in the late game, we want to make absolutely sure that vote manipulators can't swing a lynch. But right now, this early in the game? I think that protecting against vote manipulation is more just an excuse for early game bandwagoning.

Name one concrete example of a close lynch giving useful information through vote manipulation, and maybe I'll buy this (concrete meaning historical or a specific theoretical scenario). But right now I'm not convinced.

Sapphire Elephant has shown up again, so I will take my vote off of them. I do not believe that either Dingo or Swan are eliminators based on their posts. I do believe that it is helpful for everyone to vote in order to prevent vote manipulators from hiding. I will therefore vote on Amethyst Scorpion, who has twice voted on an inactive, even after general thread consensus that lynching inactives is harmful to the village.

When Cannoc heard the news about the Blacksmith's murder, their first inclination was to hole up in the Vorin temple and allow the villagers more competent in the matters of investigation take care of the matter. After two days had gone by and the singular killer had ballooned into a cabal of infiltrators, Cannoc decided that it was their responsibility to do as much as possible to keep the village safe. Sadly, it seemed that keeping the village safe would involve the slaughter of innocents. Perhaps the Almighty would forgive them, or perhaps not. Cannoc choose not to speculate. Seeing the future is of the Voidbringers after all.

@Orlok Tsubodai to clarify, are PMs still open?

Also, to answer a pair of questions:

I would think that only an eliminator would have reason to be committed to a specific vote early during D1. If I have very little reasoning behind my vote, then logically it should take very little to change my mind.

Also, its easy to commit to a vote that doesn't mean anything. My current vote is actually a perfect example of that, although it wasn't intended as such. It's been in the same place for a while, but I haven't gone to the effort to convince anyone to join me, and thus am not generating any useful information (I will note that there is nothing I can do about that at this point, since the lynch is basically decided by now). My "non-committal" votes were arguably much more helpful to the village.

Name one concrete example of a close lynch giving useful information through vote manipulation, and maybe I'll buy this (concrete meaning historical or a specific theoretical scenario). But right now I'm not convinced.

In my experience, elims don't really care all that much who they lynch, so long as it isn't an elim. Elims will attempt to lynch people while distancing themselves from the lynch, though. As for a specific example... You are assuming I have a history with Sanderson Elimination. Theoretically though, a villager probably wouldn't manipulate a D1 lynch. So if there is manipulation, we can be decently sure that the eliminator team can vote manipulate (which is useful information in its own right). Whether they did it to save a team mate or frame somebody is another matter entirely, and making sense of that is by no means easy... But it still gives information, which we would not have access to if the lynch was not close.

Edited by Taupe Gecko

Sorry for the inactivity during the Day, busy weekend got the best of me :P

An Edgedancer was lynched? That's not good, I suppose. I haven't read the Day cycle in detail, so I don't have any insight to offer yet, but I do agree that the eliminators would be more inclined towards a D1 lynch. What I'm not sure about is whether they'd start it or help it move once a favorable lynch started forming.