AG4/AN1: A Fresh Start

A mountain stood high above the land that had been a kingdom, surrounded by a thousand fires. Beneath its steady gaze, armies fought relentlessly through the days, ceasing only to take shelter from highstorms. 

Atop that mountain sat a small town, hosting only a single visible fire in the very centre of the town. 

“Once, when your parents were but children, there was peace,” an old woman said, making images of happiness and sunshine appear in the flames. “And before that, before even your father’s father’s father’s father lived, there was another war. Another Desolation.”

Images of fires in the darkness appeared, first dozens but slowly going out. “War such as the land had never known ravaged the world, and humans died by the tens of thousands. Odium corrupted many more.” All but the last spark had gone out, and it flickered. 

“But we survived.” The spark flickered again, but it remained. “The Heralds were there to help us, and we survived.” The fire flared and grew, until it filled the entire vision and melded with the fire already there.

She smiled at the children. “We’ll survive this one, too. There will be peace again. Now, go on, shoo! Your parents will be wondering where you’ve been.”

The children giggled and scattered, but Sherrah stayed and watched the fire. “Peace again,” she murmured to herself, thinking of the campfires that were moving further up the mountain every night. “Someday.”

If people were asked to describe Narg, they’d generally say that he was a man - who while unfortunate in life - that just got through life. Not one to interact with people, but also not one to stay in all day. Not one for physical labour, but also not someone who avoids it. Not one for repetitive sentences, but also unable to avoid them. But when pressed for more details about the elusive Narg, most would shrug and just leave with a ‘Narg is Narg, ya know?’.

However, we at Roshar Reporting decided to get the full scoop on Narg, so decided to ask Narg about Narg. We’ve edited the boring parts of the interview out, as reporters often do. If anyone would like to have a full transcript involving the incident with the eggs, subscribe today for only 1 mark a month. As well as our feature piece on Narg, we have a story about why Desolations are called Desolations and not Desotructions on Page 4. For the purposes of this interview, Narg will be referred to as Narg and I will be referred to as Mark (also the price of our subscription).

Mark: So Narg, it seems like no-one really gets to know you that well, do you even agree with that?
Narg: Well I’d always kind of thought that, but I guess now I know it’s true, so thanks for that.
Mark: So why did you even think that in the first place?
Narg: You think that’s even a question? Don’t answer that. It’s probably because of my name, you know anyone else with the name Narg?
Mark: No.
Narg: Exactly, doesn’t roll of the tongue now does it? But what makes things even worse is that all the kids think it’s the funniest thing ever, you know how kids are. Leave the house and all I hear is ‘Nargle Nargle, Gives us a Giggle’. That was the first creative thing they did, and let me tell you, these kids are born poets. 
Mark: Could you give us any more examples? 
Narg: Well there’s ‘Nargle Nargle, Lives in a Jungle’, then you got ‘Nargle Nargle, Won’t even Struggle’ and don’t forget ‘Nargle Nargle, Forever Single’,
Mark: Okay I think that might be enough for now, thanks. So you think that the name Narg is the cause for all your social struggles?
Narg: To put it bluntly, yes. Sure there might be other reasons for it, but seriously Narg is just such a stupid name that how can I even do anything with it. But I have found a solution to that problem, which I’m sure you’ll understand eventually. Is that all?
Mark: Could you not elaborate on your solution now?
Narg: Oh no, you see it only starts in around a week or so. Expect a sudden increase in subscribers, followed by a slow decline in those subscribers. 
Mark: Thanks?
Narg: No problem, now I got things to do so farewell for now. Maybe I’ll even get another interview soon.

After that, Narg went to barter for some goods, and you know what? I could hear the songs accompanying him, so I guess he had a point there.

Another year of SE, and it doesn’t appear that you’ve had your fill of murdering each other yet…
2017 was a year of a number of changes to SE, beginning with the successful implementation of cosmetic roles in the last AG, and the subsequent return to greater numbers of Sanderson games being played. Later in the year, we saw a changing of the guard of the moderators, saying a sad farewell to Metacognition and Gamma Fiend, with Seonid and myself now joining Wilson and Alv to run this subforum.
We’re ending the year (albeit belatedly) on a note of change, too, and are proud to announce that Anonymous Games have been approved. This game, AG4, will be the first Anonymous Game, and further Anonymous Games will be played once each quarter. In order to sign up to run an anonymous game, you must have either GMd 4 games, or have played 15 games. To run an anonymous game, you must be at the top of both the anonymous waitlist, and that of another format. Anonymous Games are not a format of their own, but act as a modifier to games of a differing format.

Unfortunately, 2017 also saw changes in our forum that have been less positive, with an increasing tendency towards inactivity. In the spirit of Cosmetic Roles last year, there will be a competition this game for three non-Sanderson game passes, allowing you to run a game not set in one of Sanderson’s works. This year, however, the competition will be based on activity, with a vote amongst players at the end of the game on which players have been the most active, and have done the most to encourage activity.

Last year, Meta mentioned we had a secret challenge for three more non-Sanderson game passes. That challenge was also based on activity. We will be awarding those after this game ends as well.

And now for the biggest change. To further combat the inactive tendency, we’re rolling out a warning system. At the end of each game, the impartial moderator will ask the GM for a list of the people who went inactive for most of the game. Those who gave the GM a heads-up regarding real life issues won’t have anything to worry about, but people who gave no heads-up will get a warning (this also includes people whose heads-up was just “I don’t feel like playing anymore”). 

One warning is like a minor slap on the wrist, merely meant to get a player realizing that going inactive without warning isn’t okay. It’s not meant to be a condemnation or make players feel unwanted in the games.

Getting two warnings in three games, or three warnings in a six-month period will result in a three month ban from playing.

Please, everyone, before you sign up for a game, think about whether you have time to play. If you know something will come up and you’ll only be able to play for so long, don’t sign up. This applies even if the GM would really like a certain number of players. Or if you think you’ll be dead by the time you’d go inactive. If something comes up unexpectedly, that’s understandable. Just let the GM know, and you’ll be fine. Hopefully, with everyone paying attention to their own activity, and perhaps reaching out to include others in the game so everyone is invested (and therefore less likely to go inactive), we can fix this inactivity problem.

Housekeeping:

AG4/AN1 will begin in 7 days time, at 10pm GMT on the 13th January. 

bla_1515880800.png

Ties will result in an even chance of death between all those tied for the most votes, with a single death occurring. Two votes minimum are required for a lynch.

PMs are open until there are no remaining Edgedancers. Group PMs are allowed. Please include Stink and myself in all PMs.

The order of actions will be as follows:
-Lightweaver
-Skybreaker
-Windrunner
-Dustbringer/Odium’s Sympathisers’ kill

Wilson will be the IM for this game. In the first instance, please take any issues to Stink and myself, but if we’re unable to resolve them, or if there’s a conflict of interest, Wilson will step in to facilitate a resolution.

Anonymous Accounts:

Please sign up by PMing both Stink and myself, with your PM in the format: AG4: [Your Name]. At the start of the game, you will be issued an anonymous account. There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.
1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued. Wilson, Stink and I will have access to all anonymous accounts for the duration of the game.
2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the accounts of the GMs. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.
3) Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE, whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Players wishing to spectate rather than play should PM Stink and myself for a link to the spectator doc. Questions and rules clarifications should be submitted in your sign up PMs, and will be posted by myself in the signups thread.
4) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, signature, and avatar. 

Factions:

Spoiler

Villagers: All you want is a return of peace and prosperity, and to utterly destroy any threat to your village. You win when all of Odium’s Sympathisers are dead.
Odium’s Sympathisers: This village is entirely too happy and free from war for your liking. You win when when you’ve outnumbered the Villagers. Standard elim team with a shared doc and a kill each night. 

Roles

Spoiler

Windrunner: Each night, the Windrunner may protect another player, saving them if they are attacked. The Windrunner may not use their power to protect themselves, and may not protect the same individual on two consecutive nights.
Skybreaker: Each night, the Skybreaker may interrogate another player, determining their alignment and any abilities they possess.
Dustbringer: Each night, the Dustbringer may use the Surge of Division to attack another player.
Edgedancer: Each night, the Edgedancer may use the Surge of Friction to sneak around delivering messages between players. PMs remain open so long as they live. 
Lightweaver: Each night, the Lightweaver may use the Surge of Illumination to disguise themselves and a target. This prevents the Skybreaker from interrogating them, and keeps them hidden during the following day, ensuring that the Willshaper and Bondsmith cannot affect them. 
Elsecaller: When the Elsecaller is about to be killed, they may use the Surge of Transportation to shift into the Cognitive Realm and escape their death. If they are attacked a second time, they will die. 
Willshaper: Every day, the Willshaper may use the Surge of Cohesion to change the vote of one player to a player of the Willshaper’s choice. This nullifies their own vote. 
Bondsmith: Each day, the Bondsmith may use the Surge of Cohesion to remove the vote of one player. 
Worldhoppers: Each Worldhopper will have the use of one random Radiant’s powers each night, with a higher likelihood of receiving use of a power which they have not yet had. 
Regular Villager: Villagers have no power bar the lynch, but are nevertheless vital to keeping the town running. 

This thread will be locked. As a reminder, and for those of you who haven’t read the rules (go back and do so), sign ups and spec doc requests must be by PM to Stink and myself, in the format AG4: [Your Name].

Quick Links:

Rule clarifications:

1. You are indeed allowed to notify a friend that this game is running, but we’d like you to try to do so in such a way that doesn’t make it obvious that you’re playing.

2. Despite Knights Radiant canonically having two surges, each role only has the power they have been described as having in the rules.

3. Anonymous accounts are restricted to posting only in the Roleplaying Forum, but must not be used outside the thread of the game the are allocated to.

4. Anonymity must be maintained in the spec/dead docs to reduce the chance of accidental leaks, and to ensure that post game activity voting is carried out fairly.

5. Day turns will run for 48 hours, and will be followed by a 24 hour night cycle.

The game is drawing close to 30 players, which is the number of anonymous accounts that are permitted following discussions with the admins. Unfortunately, this means that if we get more than 30 players, the last 15 people to sign up and anyone who joins after 30 people will be randomised, and some players will become pinch hitters.

If this occurs, strict rules will follow on activity conditions triggering the replacement of a player by a pinch hitter. Please consider whether you are indeed able to play; we’d be grateful for volunteer pinch hitters. The game will start Saturday, 10pm GMT regardless. 

AG4/AN1 - Day 1: Sunrise

Sherrah watched the sunrise, bloodred through the smoke of the fires. The fires encircled the mountain, now, and there had been no Windrunners to the mountain for nearly a year. 

“Once upon a time, a village called Rennan stood on a mountain,” she said softly to herself. “The world had fallen, and yet that one light remained, surrounded by the growing darkness.”

Cries came from nearby. “Murder! The blacksmith’s been murdered!”

Sherrah bit at her lip. Not a good sign. “And even within the town itself, darkness began to stir...”

Thank you for subscribing to Roshar Reporting! Expect to see daily reports soon, however I am currently busy hiring a new editor thanks to some unexpected money. I have heard some rumours about some interesting activity, so it'll be great content.

But for now, see you in the next edition of Roshar Reporting.

Anniversary Game 4 has begun. Your main accounts should now have received the username and password for your anonymous accounts, which will contain your role and alignment information. As a reminder, whilst you are allowed to claim to be a player, you may not prove that you are who you claim to be, whether through information only you could know, or any other device you think of.

Day 1 will last for 48 hours, until Monday 15 January at 10pm GMT. 

bla_1516053600.png

Player List:
1. Amethyst Scorpion
2. Azure Mouse
3. Amber Vulture
4. Charcoal Hyena
5. Chartreuse Penguin
6. Coral Swan
7. Cream Tuatara
8. Emerald Falcon
9. Fuschia Ostrich
10. Indigo Weasel
11. Ivory Dragonfly
12. Magenta Albatross
13. Mauve Crocodile
14. Melon Dingo
15. Mint Heron
16. Onyx Flamingo
17. Opal Lion
18. Oxblood Beagle
19. Pearl Chameleon
20. Plum Rhinoceros
21. Quartz Zebra
22. Saffron Iguana
23. Sage Kangaroo
24. Salmon Meerkat
25. Sapphire Elephant
26. Scarlet Octopus
27. Sunburst Toucan
28. Taupe Gecko
29. Turquoise Gorilla
30. Violet Axolotl

Rules:

Spoiler

Housekeeping:

AG4/AN1 will begin in 7 days time, at 10pm GMT on the 13th January. 

Ties will result in an even chance of death between all those tied for the most votes, with a single death occurring. Two votes minimum are required for a lynch.

PMs are open until there are no remaining Edgedancers. Group PMs are allowed. Please include Stink and myself in all PMs.

The order of actions will be as follows:
-Lightweaver
-Skybreaker
-Windrunner
-Dustbringer/Odium’s Sympathisers’ kill

Wilson will be the IM for this game. In the first instance, please take any issues to Stink and myself, but if we’re unable to resolve them, or if there’s a conflict of interest, Wilson will step in to facilitate a resolution.

Anonymous Accounts:

Please sign up by PMing both Stink and myself, with your PM in the format: AG4: [Your Name]. At the start of the game, you will be issued an anonymous account. There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.
1. Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued. Wilson, Stink and I will have access to all anonymous accounts for the duration of the game.
2. Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the accounts of the GMs. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.
3. Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Players wishing to spectate rather than play should PM Stink and myself for a link to the spectator doc. Questions and rules clarifications should be submitted in your sign up PMs, and will be posted by myself in the signups thread.
4. Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, or email account. 

Factions:

Spoiler

Villagers: All you want is a return of peace and prosperity, and to utterly destroy any threat to your village. You win when all of Odium’s Sympathisers are dead.
Odium’s Sympathisers: This village is entirely too happy and free from war for your liking. You win when when you’ve outnumbered the Villagers. Standard elim team with a shared doc and a kill each night. 

Roles:

Spoiler

Windrunner: Each night, the Windrunner may protect another player, saving them if they are attacked. The Windrunner may not use their power to protect themselves, and may not protect the same individual on two consecutive nights.
Skybreaker: Each night, the Skybreaker may interrogate another player, determining their alignment and any abilities they possess.
Dustbringer: Each night, the Dustbringer may use the Surge of Division to attack another player.
Edgedancer: Each night, the Edgedancer may use the Surge of Friction to sneak around delivering messages between players. PMs remain open so long as they live. 
Lightweaver: Each night, the Lightweaver may use the Surge of Illumination to disguise themselves and a target. This prevents the Skybreaker from interrogating them, and keeps them hidden during the following day, ensuring that the Willshaper and Bondsmith cannot affect them. 
Elsecaller: When the Elsecaller is about to be killed, they may use the Surge of Transportation to shift into the Cognitive Realm and escape their death. If they are attacked a second time, they will die. 
Willshaper: Every day, the Willshaper may use the Surge of Cohesion to change the vote of one player to a player of the Willshaper’s choice. This nullifies their own vote. 
Bondsmith: Each day, the Bondsmith may use the Surge of Cohesion to remove the vote of one player. 
Worldhoppers: Each Worldhopper will have the use of one random Radiant’s powers each night, with a higher likelihood of receiving use of a power which they have not yet had. 
Regular Villager: Villagers have no power bar the lynch, but are nevertheless the most vital to keeping the town running. 

Rules clarifications:
1. Anonymous accounts are restricted to posting only in the Roleplaying Forum, but must not be used outside the thread of the game the are allocated to.
2. Anonymity must be maintained in the spec/dead docs to reduce the chance of accidental leaks, and to ensure that post game activity voting is carried out fairly.
3.. Day turns will run for 48 hours, and will be followed by a 24 hour night cycle.

New Rules Clarifications:
1. The game will start on a day cycle, which will end in 48 hours, at 10pm GMT on the 15th.
2. PMs may be sent during both Day and Night turns, provided an Edgedancer remains alive.
3. In addition to providing PMs, each night, the Edgedancer may send an anonymous message to the GMs to be included in the following cycle’s writeup.
4. There are now a number of pinch hitters for this game. If players are not active for a full cycle (a consecutive day and night cycle, in either order), they will be replaced with a pinch hitter, unless the list of pinch hitters has been exhausted. It will not be announced that the holder of an anonymous account has been replaced.

Murder. Aldrick swore under his breath, his bones creaking as the cries echoed through the village. His old instincts kicked in, urging him to go to the scene of the crime, grab his enormous hammer, and beat some sense into the nearest evildoer. He closed his eyes and counted the breaths, letting his heartbeat slow. No. Aldrick sank back into his chair with a reluctant sigh. His time as a warrior was behind, nothing good could come from that path now. All he could do was try to guide them through the coming storm as best he could. 

Very cool role, very cool. you can only see the Elimination forum. I was hoping to be able to double up upvotes on the GM posts, but it seems I've already been out-thought. 

Jai woke up, and started to his feet, prepared to fight whatever had woken him up. The cloth he had been using as a blanket fluttered to the ground. But it had just been the sun. 

He breathed to calm his heart, and tucked the cloth behind a loose stone. Best not to lose that. 

Out into the street he went, to figure out what he would eat today. 

Nolan rubbed his eyes, clearing out the smoke. So many fires these days. Omnipresent at times, it even seemed. It seemed hard to remember a time without the thick smoke clogging the air of the village. Of course, those fires hadn’t prevented him from visiting the small library near the mountaintop, as was his habit; if anything, it had driven him there. He needed answers. Many around him claimed to have seen Knights Radiant, a sign that ancient days were upon them. And yet, when given the opportunity to study abroad in his youth, he had chosen religion. A worthy pursuit, to be sure, but nothing in it seemed to be of any use to the village. He certainly wasn’t becoming an ardent. Not with his past.

He shoved those thoughts aside, returning to the task at hand. Surgebindings. A small book about them lay on the table in front of him, spared by chance from the small puddle of drool around his mouth from his nap. Nolan grimaced. He shouldn’t be staying up so late researching. His family was certainly concerned, especially after the death of the blacksmith. But that would not stop him. He needed to figure out as much as he could about these Surges. Unfortunately, the book he held was nearly useless. It was large, but said little about anything at all. References to the False Desolation certainly didn’t help its case. It seemed to regard it as real, and even had the audacity to claim Voidbringers had survived Aharietiam. Well, his religious studies had taught him something, and that was clearly not the case. He sighed, replacing the book on its shelf. Only one book left to find the truth, if it lay there. 

Or the village would burn completely. 

@Orlok Tsubodai It may be just me, but your text both in the first post and my PM is all one long line rather than fitting within the normal space for a post. That isn't happening for other players posts. Do you know what's up?

Elyle frowned from inside his inn, The Thoughtful Skyeel, upon hearing the grim news. The blacksmith had been a consistent patron, stopping by most evenings for a drink or a waffle. In a town like this, where everyone knew each other, the loss would be felt all around. Elyle supposed that he would probably have fair number of visitors over the next few weeks as people tried to sort through what was going on, and got back to baking.

Later in the day, he nailed a notice to the front door of the inn, which read:

I know that everyone is distraught about the death of Metam. However, if you have any concerns about my loyalty to this town then please address me in person rather than spreading rumors. I also offer my humble inn as a gathering place for us to work through events in the coming days. For any who are visiting, my rooms are open, although I doubt they will offer much protection from future killings.

I'm going to try and RP as much as I can for this game, including votes. For that reason I will not vote just yet, as presumably my character is familiar with the rest of the town, but I don't actually know any names to put in my RP. I will say that I suggest players in this game practice PM safety.

Edited by Coral Swan

4 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

@Orlok Tsubodai It may be just me, but your text both in the first post and my PM is all one long line rather than fitting within the normal space for a post. That isn't happening for other players posts. Do you know what's up?

Whilst there were a couple of formatting issues upon posting, I think I managed to fix them all shortly after posting. Is your PM still one long line?

2 minutes ago, Magenta Albatross said:

It will be fun to find out players' identities afterwards. There's no problem if we try to guess someone's identity right?

There isn't a problem with that, no, so long as you don't pressure any player into revealing their identity, or ask them to provide proof to substantiate a claim.

Hey guys! :{D

Yeah I think I saw the text in one long line at one point, but it's all fixed now. Weird.

12 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

but I don't actually know any names to put in my RP. I will say that I suggest players in this game practice PM safety.

I'll see if I can do some RP, but I'll find you a name. PM safety?

Just now, Azure Mouse said:

Hey guys! :{D

Yeah I think I saw the text in one long line at one point, but it's all fixed now. Weird.

I'll see if I can do some RP, but I'll find you a name. PM safety?

Don't claim in PM. People can see them using abilities. 

Well thats a ... an Oxblood beagle. 

Edited by Oxblood Beagle