RECon 2019 (aka WorldCon 2019)

kais

5 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Just got my participation survey, so I guess they want me for SOMEthing. This might change once they read I'm intending to fly standby... 

The form has options to exclude certain dates (as you will know), so you don't get out of it that easily :lol: 

• 1 month later...

Sooo...did anyone else get their WorldCon Schedule today? They put me on two panels, one about stories turned into computer games, for some reason, and one about putting lights and electronics on cosplay (which I was technically on for last year's WorldCon, but felt I didn't add much). Nothing on writing, martial arts, critiques, etc etc...basically all the things I filled out on their 20-page form.

Anyone else get their schedule?

Got mine. One about sewing patterns, which, yeah, qualified for, but now I'm freaking out about making handouts and visual aides because decoding map glyphs and IKEA instructions is a thing that's REALLY difficult to do when you can't show people the glyph or instruction in question. Two others I only vaguely qualify for about specific recent manga, for values of "qualify" that looks like they went "Oh, I see this one works in libraries and wrote 'anime' on their list. That's good enough!"  And basically, right now I'm trying really hard to corral a massive freakout. The last manga I read were Red River and Loveless! That's like mid-90s, early 00s! Aahhhhh!  

3 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Two others I only vaguely qualify for about specific recent manga, for values of "qualify" that looks like they went "Oh, I see this one works in libraries and wrote 'anime' on their list.

Yeah, I think I marked somewhere on there that I play computer games, so I guess they stuck me on this panel?

Got mine too. I'm on a model making and sculpture panel (I do art sculpture, not model sculpture or cosplay sculpture so...), a post apocalyptic panel, a craft panel, and a gender panel.

I feel qualified for one of those. One. Should be a ride!

Err, I guess I should go look for mine... :unsure: 

Ah, they sent it to the email address I used for my wife's membership. Odd. So, yeah, two panels, one about 'the gumshoe in SFF' and another about a little niche concern 'the role of technology in the future of human society' :blink:  Actually, I'm very pleased with that. I actually feel like I could contribute reasonably well to both! Although, now feeling sudden immense pressure to start cramming :lol: 

NB: Now that the schedules are coming together, we really should discuss and put something in place for the purposes of meeting up. How tragic would it be if we were at WorldCon and didn't manage to get everyone in the same room at least once?!! So...

(a) - I suggest coms via a PM group for those attending, since the schedule is still confidential;

(b) - I think we can book some space so that we could have one more 'formal' meet-up for the purpose of RECon#1 itself

What do you think?

Edited by Robinski

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

NB: Now that the schedules are coming together, we really should discuss and put something in place for the purposes of meeting up. How tragic would it be if we were at WorldCon and didn't manage to get everyone in the same room at least once?!! So...

(a) - I suggest coms via a PM group for those attending, since the schedule is still confidential;

(b) - I think we can book some space so that we could have one more 'formal' meet-up for the purpose of RECon#1 itself

Oh, we're definitely going to meet up when we're there.

Yes, probably need a PM session for more discussion. I wonder if we can send a message to the organizers to schedule a room for a certain time?

Sort of bummed they didn't like our critique group panel, which I think would have been much more helpful that some of the ones we're on.

14 hours ago, kais said:

I'm on a model making and sculpture panel (I do art sculpture, not model sculpture or cosplay sculpture so...)

@kais,I've done art sculpture, but also some cosplay sculpture, so maybe I can help you out?

2 hours ago, Mandamon said:

so maybe I can help you out?

Much appreciated. I'm doubting my 'i like to stick metal into rapidly rotating wood and see what turns out' will be super applicable to the masses.

Yes on the PM thread. A private room would be great if we could manage. I've never been to a WorldCon before so unsure what is possible. 

52 minutes ago, kais said:

A private room would be great if we could manage. I've never been to a WorldCon before so unsure what is possible. 

I read something about this is one of the reports. Let me look into it.

13 hours ago, Silk said:

Folks I am so excited.

Me too!! Squeeee :D 

Hey, @Asmodemon - I took a note somewhere that you are attending WorldCon, do I remember correctly? If so, we really should include you in the pre-con planning of the Reading Excuses meet-up.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Asmodemon said:

Yeah, I am, looking forward to it too :)

Excellent!! :D 

Are you participating in any panels? We have a draft RE participant schedule but we're not supposed to share details of panel participation yet, as the WC schedule is not published. We've shared it off-line though just with the handful on RE who are participating. Oops, that might be a (slight) plot spoiler too!

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

Excellent!! :D 

Are you participating in any panels? We have a draft RE participant schedule but we're not supposed to share details of panel participation yet, as the WC schedule is not published. We've shared it off-line though just with the handful on RE who are participating. Oops, that might be a (slight) plot spoiler too!

Sounds good :)

I'm not participating in any panels. This is also my first WC, so I'm looking forward to see what it's like.

I finally got around to filling up my new travel-size balloon pocket. It's tough deciding what to put in a 3-slot pocket when you're used to having about 40 of every color the company manufactures, and that pocket pump is so tiny in comparison to my regular one... I still can't believe it's really happening. Eeeee!

IMG_20190719_181345.thumb.jpg.ed52f88445ec2347b9eae41a2dba193e.jpgIMG_20190719_181148.thumb.jpg.eee9a8a64d05f94e4a9491bc0d9b6d9e.jpg

30 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

I finally got around to filling up my new travel-size balloon pocket. It's tough deciding what to put in a 3-slot pocket when you're used to having about 40 of every color the company manufactures, and that pocket pump is so tiny in comparison to my regular one... I still can't believe it's really happening. Eeeee!

Cool!

On 7/14/2019 at 7:45 AM, Asmodemon said:

Sounds good :)

I'm not participating in any panels. This is also my first WC, so I'm looking forward to see what it's like.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:19 PM, Robinski said:

Yeah, my first too - and definitely looking forward to it :) 

On 7/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, kais said:

Looking forward to meeting you, @Asmodemon!

Seconded all around!

3 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

IMG_20190719_181345.thumb.jpg.ed52f88445ec2347b9eae41a2dba193e.jpgIMG_20190719_181148.thumb.jpg.eee9a8a64d05f94e4a9491bc0d9b6d9e.jpg

So neat :D