RECon 2019 (aka WorldCon 2019)

kais

3 hours ago, kais said:

Well I got an email asking me to confirm my times available. So I'm officially a program participant, but not sure on what yet. Didn't see anything about tracks or panels or whatnot.

Yay!

9 hours ago, kais said:

Well I got an email asking me to confirm my times available. So I'm officially a program participant, but not sure on what yet. Didn't see anything about tracks or panels or whatnot.

Cool! I haven't received anything yet, but here's hoping...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kais said:

Are any of you attending the Hugos?

I usually attend the Hugos. Anyone with a WorldCon membership can get in. Last year I watched in the overflow room with some WXR alumni so I didn't need to get all dressed up. It's more fun when you can gossip about the nominations with friends ;-)

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Well, I'm in! Got my survey for participation times today. Hopefully they're going to put our panel together since we have at least 3 or 4 confirmed participants.

Excellent :) Yes, if they don't put out panel on it will be a bit of an anticlimax, but I'm sure we'll find something to talk about!!

4 hours ago, kais said:

Are any of you attending the Hugos?

Got to admit I had not thought that far ahead. There's a dress code then? But I guess it's those and such as those in the main room? I must pay more attention!

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

There's a dress code then?

As far as I know, kinda sorta not really? As far as I know, there isn't an official dress code. If you look at pictures, you'll see a range of formality, everything from t-shirt and shorts to black tie formal/promwear to businesswear to steampunk and historical costumes. Generally, the presenters and the people up for awards dress a bit fancy; it *is* an awards ceremony, after all. And after that, I think people dress to the occasion to the extent they feel like, though there is a bit of pressure to look nice if you're somewhere there will be cameras.  This is also fandom and sff-dom, so people also get creative in their interpretation of "fancy," for what is essentially one of the big "nerd prom" events sff fandom has. 

12 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

This is also fandom and sff-dom, so people also get creative in their interpretation of "fancy," for what is essentially one of the big "nerd prom" events sff fandom has. 

Yep, pretty much correct. I'll be donning one of my steampunk costumes. And The Hat, of course.

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

There's a dress code then?

And I have links!

This is the 2017 hugos winners. Look closely, and you'll see the range of formality levels on display, both for men and women. On the women I spot some office blouses and slacks, prom dresses, evening gowns, what looks like a komon (but i'm thinking must be something else like a furi but I can't make out sleeve length), what I'd call "church clothes." For the men, there're business suits, blazer-and-tshirt, that one guy in the back with the steampunk trademark tophat-and-goggles (who is absolutely more than likely also in some kind of fancy tailcoat because steampunk and also why waste that hat on anything less), somebody who's wearing a referee's jersey (?), a cardigan, oh just way back there there's a tuxedo... So yeah. Range of formality. 

65931-ajyyetfrvd-1502962244.jpg 

Aha, here is a link to a photo collection from 2017 as well 
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMJFRwgP8unYX_UlCDge7EA49GiU2_yewzdT4NACvaSZE-ovZM_K_qa2Z_Obv2FZA?key=TUc0aEl4MGNxeWVhZnM5UUFVU0tqVmZ6bnBfaUpR

7 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I'll be donning one of my steampunk costumes. And The Hat, of course.

Nice!

I'll be in a tux, I think, if I can get one fitted well enough before then.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:53 PM, kais said:

So I've gotten my participation survey for the academic track, but nothing for the programming proper or about our panel in particular, so while I still certainly hope they're hosting it, it seems like it might be a safe assumption that I am not on it.  

HOWEVER, plot twist, they, um, seem to have invited me to a performance? Of music?

I've never written/performed filk. Do I need to write filk for this?

Anyone have any idea where I can rent a guitar in Dublin?

On 4/25/2019 at 7:11 AM, kais said:

Are any of you attending the Hugos? I assume lay people can get in?

Assuming laypeople are allowed to attend, I don't see why I wouldn't. We're going all that way, might as well get the full experience!

1 hour ago, Silk said:

HOWEVER, plot twist, they, um, seem to have invited me to a performance? Of music?

This is amazing! Unfortunately I cannot help either with the guitar or the filk. I can my filk friends what is expected if you'd like?

11 hours ago, Silk said:

I've never written/performed filk. Do I need to write filk for this?

Does it say the performance is filk specifically? Might be able to get away with just a nerdy song...

10 hours ago, kais said:

This is amazing! Unfortunately I cannot help either with the guitar or the filk. I can my filk friends what is expected if you'd like?

Sure! It never hurts. Man, I know I filled out the bit of the survey asking about music, because I figured I might as well if I was doing the survey anyway, but I really wasn't expecting them to actually take me up on it.

1 hour ago, Mandamon said:

Does it say the performance is filk specifically?

It does not. In fact I'm pretty sure I indicated in the thing that I don't usually perform filk. But it's Worldcon!

1 hour ago, Mandamon said:

Might be able to get away with just a nerdy song...

So you're saying I should brush up on my Jonathan Coulton covers.

8 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Now I really want to hear "Still Alive." Are you a soprano?

HAHAHAHA no. I'm somewhere on the borderline of tenor and alto. But I can fake "Still Alive" after a good warmup if I have to. :P