RECon 2019 (aka WorldCon 2019)

kais

WELL. I have finally responded to their very detailed survey, only a week later than I was hoping to, because day job overtime, freelance deadlines, a migraine, a hot water tank that exploded at 5:30 this morning and started flooding our garage, and a plumbing company that didn't return my call until about 6 hours later.

I can has treats and alcohol now?

Edited by Silk

38 minutes ago, kais said:

Yes, you definitely deserve treats and alcohol now! That was a LOOOONG survey!

It really was! I am provisionally impressed, assuming they use it to manage the mess that came out of this year's Worldcon programming.

I realize hotels don't open up for another month or so, but there are some really nice Air BnBs right now available in the neighborhood of the convention center. I just booked one for a super reasonable rate. Would be worth checking out in case the hotels go fast or end up being as expensive as the WorldCon staff is warning about.

• 1 month later...

WorldCon hotels are open as of today! I've got my room, but several of the nearer hotels are already filling up. Just a hint, you might be able to find better rates on hotels.com if you get some of their "secret prices." One of our choices was less expensive through WorldCon, but was filled up. The other was cheaper through hotels.com.

• 2 months later...

Hey y'all. So, I got my email confirmation this morning of being selected as a Programme Participant for WorldCon. Presuming that you guys did too? Not sure if that means they've picked up the suggested session that was discussed here. Do we have a response on the overall application, @Silk?

2 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hey y'all. So, I got my email confirmation this morning of being selected as a Programme Participant for WorldCon.

Cool! I haven't gotten anything yet, but it make take longer for overseas applicants...

I haven't gotten one yet either, but here's hoping!

OH! I found out that the Kilkenny Arts Festival is during the same time we will all be in Ireland. Could be amazing to check out!

47 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

lol! I plan on bringing my pocket pump and some balloons anyway; I can totes teach you stuff even if they don't end up wanting my whole panel (which is just like 10 minutes of vocab and a handout anyway XD) 

I'll trade you martial arts techniques for balloon animal instruction!

4 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

I can totes teach you stuff even if they don't end up wanting my whole panel

3 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I'll trade you martial arts techniques for balloon animal instruction!

Err, not sure what I could trade, skills-wise. Have you ever had a hankering to design a roundabout?

49 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

If you've got enough coordination to twist a balloon animal, you can do martial arts...

Oh ye of little faith..  I look forward to being proven wrong then! :) 

16 minutes ago, Robinski said:

Have you ever had a hankering to design a roundabout?

Actually, now that you mention it, I do have a fictional city that could use a roundabout, but it also has to accommodate mermaids and flying carpets...

Honestly though, I just like showing people (especially adults) that they can do balloon animals, no need to trade anything. :) 

On 3/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, kais said:

I haven't gotten one yet either, but here's hoping!

OH! I found out that the Kilkenny Arts Festival is during the same time we will all be in Ireland. Could be amazing to check out!

Absolutely!

Yeah, I mean... I could sing you a song? A capella, because I'll be leaving my instruments at home?

On 3/16/2019 at 2:58 AM, Robinski said:

Hey y'all. So, I got my email confirmation this morning of being selected as a Programme Participant for WorldCon. Presuming that you guys did too? Not sure if that means they've picked up the suggested session that was discussed here. Do we have a response on the overall application, @Silk?

Still haven't heard anything about our panel or whether I will end up with any role in the program proper--though evidently they're still working on it--but I did get confirmation that I've been selected to present at the academic track. Not sure which paper I'll be presenting yet (they let you submit up to three abstracts; I submitted two, and but am advised that I may or may not be asked to present both), but hey. Neat.

Edited by Silk

6 hours ago, Silk said:

I've been selected to present at the academic track

Awesome! I did see on Titter or Famebook that they were just starting in earnest on the programme, so I'm really hoping that the RE panel comes to pass still.

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

Awesome! I did see on Titter or Famebook that they were just starting in earnest on the programme, so I'm really hoping that the RE panel comes to pass still.

Yeah, the email I got confirming my spot on the academic track said as much, as well. I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but since you've been selected as a programme participant already, I'm fairly optimistic...

17 hours ago, Silk said:

Yeah, the email I got confirming my spot on the academic track said as much, as well. I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but since you've been selected as a programme participant already, I'm fairly optimistic...

Yes, hopefully we can be about the RE panel too, as I have no other qualifications!! :unsure: 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got an email asking me to confirm my times available. So I'm officially a program participant, but not sure on what yet. Didn't see anything about tracks or panels or whatnot.