[OB] What parts of Oathbringer touched you?

MonsterMetroid

Hey guys,

There has been a lot of talk of what Oathbringer has done wrong or what differed from what people expected. But Through my second reread I am find SO MANY moments that touched me and were done so right!

Let's share what moments or arcs really affected you emotionally or intellectually and keep it postitive!

----

To start with (Thanks DreamStorm) spoilered for length

Spoiler

"She was appreciating that when she noticed a tall figure striding through the door. Dalinar Kholin cast a shadow, even when he wasn’t standing in front of the light. Everyone immediately hushed.

“Apologies for my tardiness.” He glanced at his wrist, and the forearm timepiece that Navani had given him. “Please don’t stop because of me.”

“Dalinar?” Navani asked. “You’ve never attended a meeting of scribes before.”

“I just thought I should watch,” Dalinar said. “Learn what this piece of my organization is doing.” He settled down on a stool outside the ring. He looked like a warhorse trying to perch on a stand meant for a show pony.

They started up again, everyone obviously self-conscious. She’d have thought that Dalinar would know to stay away from meetings like this, where women and scribes …

Shallan cocked her head as she saw Renarin glance at his father. Dalinar responded with a raised fist.

He came so Renarin wouldn’t feel awkward, Shallan realized. It can’t be improper or feminine for the prince to be here if the storming Blackthorn decides to attend.

She didn’t miss the way that Renarin actually raised his eyes to watch the rest of the proceedings.

I really loved this scene where Dalinar comes in to the scribe meeting to support Renarin, the way it describes him you can tell it is not comfortable for him to be there but he wants to support his son and be there for him in his desires, I feel that maybe dalinar realizes he wasnt always encouraging of renarins desires and is trying to make up for it and I loved this interaction through Shallan's POV.

Edited by MonsterMetroid
added quote

I think I have cried through almost every emotional scene in the book.

Of the top of my head I think the one that gets me the most is the scene where Rock finally meets up with his family and is introducing them.

"Last daughter is another Song. Beautiful Song.” He stooped down beside her, smiling. She was only four, and she shied away from him. She didn’t remember her father. It broke his heart."

The scene with Jasnah and Renarin at the end of the book, specially when Renarin says something like how his visions have never been wrong, until they proclamed Jasnah's love will fail.I cried at that point.

Also in Shadesmar when Syl is comforting Kal for the Kholinar fiasco, and later for not being able to say the fourth oath, they were very sweet moments.

1 hour ago, MonsterMetroid said:

I really loved the scene where Dalinar comes in to the scribe meeting to support Renarin, the way it describes him you can tell it is not comfortable for him to be there but he wants to support his son and be there for him in his desires, I feel that maybe dalinar realizes he wasnt always encouraging of renarins desires and is trying to make up for it and I loved this interaction through Shallan's POV.

I agree, that was a very touching moment, and a turning point for Renarin.

Another moment that touched me was when shallan had just been stabbed and is cracking a joke whilst inside she's breaking. She just needs kal to crack a joke to make everything Alright Again. It helps that I really like puns.

I can't stop thinking about this Adolin/Kaladin moment - it just makes me smile.  Their friendship is probably my favorite relationship in SA so far; they are just the cutest!

"Excellent," Elhokar said, then started up the steps.  "Don't wait for us.  If Brightness Davar is successful, go right to Urithiru and bring our armies back."

Adolin nodded, then gave Kaladin a quick salute - tapping his wrists together with hands in fists.  The Bridge Four salute.  "Good luck, bridgeboy."

Kaladin smiled, his silvery spear vanishing as he gave the salute back, then hustled after the king.

OB, Ch. 83, Crimson to Break

(I also think this moment makes a nice contrast to Moash's salute a chapter later.  Old friend who betrayed you contrasted new friend (who hopefully won't...))

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but Renarin's "Don't worry. You didn't miss something funny. I... well, I doubt you'd find it amusing." really got to me.

First off, it's probably the first time he's gotten good news from one of his fits. Second, it would have been so tempting to write that line "cooler" ("I just saw the future, and you're not going to enjoy it." *the music kicks in as he slowly puts on his sunglasses*). But it's Renarin, so instead it comes out all awkward and concerned for the feelings of the immortal monsters who want to kill him. Which somehow makes it even cooler.

5 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but Renarin's "Don't worry. You didn't miss something funny. I... well, I doubt you'd find it amusing." really got to me.

First off, it's probably the first time he's gotten good news from one of his fits. Second, it would have been so tempting to write that line "cooler" ("I just saw the future, and you're not going to enjoy it." *the music kicks in as he slowly puts on his sunglasses*). But it's Renarin, so instead it comes out all awkward and concerned for the feelings of the immortal monsters who want to kill him. Which somehow makes it even cooler.

And then followed up immediately with Bridge Four appearing and: "Teft.  Knight Radiant."  I definitely teared up at that and had to pause the audiobook and take a moment.  The Teft parts really worked for me, both on a continuity level to keep us in touch with what was going on at Urithiru and on an emotional level.

@MonsterMetroid I completely agree with you that I'm enjoying the book more and more on reread!

Like the previous two books, I was the most moved during the flashback scenes. In Way of Kings it was Tien's death, in Words of Radiance it was when Shallan and Wit meet at the fair. In Oathbringer it wasn't the scene you might expect. It was actually when Dalinar meets Cultivation and instead of asking to forget as I expected, or to move on, or to be a better man, he asks for forgiveness. The Cultivation-Dalinar scene is my favorite scene in all of Oathbringer. 

Dalinar in general was such a great arc for me. I was heartbroken during the rift chapter and his ascension then again when he walked into the thrill. His struggle to be a better person really hit me hard. 

I also was touched by Kaladin during the Kholinar battle and the aftermath. I was really beginning to GET Ehlokar then just... wow.

Hoid helping Shallan then the mother and orphan really put him into a new light for me. I thought he was a callous sardonic jerk before then. Now I don't know what to think. I never thought a rude immortal trickster would be humanized in such a way. 

Oh yeah Teft swearing the third ideal was amazing and the Jasnah Renarin scene was beautiful. The way side characters got so much development in so few words was astonishing. Ivory summed it up pretty well, this is right, somehow it IS. (paraphrasing, I need more Ivory in my life)

I love this book so much. 

Edited by MothersMilkInACup

5 minutes ago, MothersMilkInACup said:

I also was touched by Kaladin during the Kholinar battle and the aftermath. I was really beginning to GET Ehlokar then just... wow.

Man I forgot about this I have't gotten here during my second reading but that scene Crushed me! watching Beard and the Parsh killing each other I was honestly Kind of numb feeling what kaladin must have been when Elhokar kicked the bucket.

Also I really wanted beard to meet lopen

I was tearing up/jumping in excitement for basically the entire last two hundred pages.  But the gut punchers for me were...

"You cannot have my pain!" So epic.

Teft's Third Ideal.  

"Do it Elokhar"...

Most of Wit/Hoid's conversations with Shallan.

Speaking of Hoid... "Life before death, friend." 

Jasnah hugging Renarin.

7 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Man I forgot about this I have't gotten here during my second reading but that scene Crushed me! watching Beard and the Parsh killing each other I was honestly Kind of numb feeling what kaladin must have been when Elhokar kicked the bucket.

Also I really wanted beard to meet lopen

The way it was set up with Kaladin bonding with both sides I knew something bad was going to happen. Adolin humorously said "storming bridge boy, he's probably their leader now" or something like that then when they showed up behind him in the stairwell I really hoped he gained a new set of squires then it all collapsed around him when he saw his parshmen buds... I was already an emotional wreck then storming Moash had to show up and throw salt in the wound at the worst possible time. Storming Moash. He had the nerve to make the bridge 4 salute after. I don't think there are words for the tidal wave of emotions I felt at that moment. This storming book I tell ya...

Edited by MothersMilkInACup

I'm currently on my second read though of the book, and I am loving it even more (maybe I should slow down the first time, but I really want to get to the end).  More moments may come to me as I continue to read, but the ones that stick out right now are:

Kaladin reuniting with his parents

Rock's family 

Elhokar almost becoming a Lightweaver and his death (I had to take a breather from the book first time I read this part).

One moment no one has mentioned yet that I thought for sure would be a top contender:

Talenel speaking with Shash, both of them crying.  Him crying because humanity had more time to actually recover from the desolations.  Her crying because she still feels the guilt of leaving him to suffer for 4000 years.  It was a beautiful scene and quite surprising behavior from both of the Heralds; I had really expected both of them to act differently (based on what little we knew about their characters before OB).

I was very fond of when Renarin and Jasnah had their confrontation in the chapel.  Renarin's breakdown falling into Jasnah's arms just saying how he wanted to do the right thing and just wanted to help and that hit me really hard personally.  I am very similar to Renarin in a lot of ways (probably more so than any other fantasy character) and for him to have that breakdown, I could very much bond with that.  I am even MORE interested in Renarin now because of all that, same with Jasnah.

I just realised what my hands down favourite part of oathbringer was.

It was when I was about 300 or so pages in, and was subconsciously thinking "this is about when a normal book starts to come to an end", and then checking the page number and realising i still had three quarters to go.

I swear I practically jumped for joy.

I'm loving these answers... Even @Patrick Star's Ehehe. 

Another one I just listened to was this story skar tells:

Spoiler

5a4e4bff36f0d_skarsnip.PNG.3816eace7f47c7882d91710b30c399cb.PNG

That whole section is amazing! probably especially for @Kaladin StormBlessed (she is the one lyn is based off of right?) but the feeling I got hearing from Skar's perspective the feeling of hopelessness turned to hope and the reason all these men started to believe and change becomes so clear. Kaladin is their light when all was dark. We see the darkness in kaladin because we get to see his viewpoint a lot, but to everyone else from the outside Kaladin is always so optimistic and hoping for unrealistic outcomes and making many of them happen.