[OB] Kaladin's powers

tabitreader

Szeth, using his surges at the ending of Words of Radiance threw a table at someone, Adolin I think.

Does this mean Kaladin will, or can currently do the same with his surges. He has Gravitation mastered well.

Does anyone suspect he can do it, or he just hasn't been showed how to yet by Syl or another Windrunner? 

I doubt his 4th ideal is in the way, Szeth was told after 3rd ideal he could use Division now.

I recall some passage in some book that said Windrunners could destroy items with the barest thought.

Any thoughts?

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Kaladin's powers
On 1/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, tabitreader said:

I recall some passage in some book that said Windrunners could destroy items with the barest thought.

Windrunners don't get to destroy things. I think you are thinking of Dustbringers.

I think Kaladin is already capable of Lashing tables around, I just think it hasn't really occurred to him.

4 minutes ago, Bort said:

Windrunners don't get to destroy things. I think you are thinking of Dustbringers.

I think Kaladin is already capable of Lashing tables around, I just think it hasn't really occurred to him.

Wll Windrunner's surges could indirectly cause the things' destruction. If you lash an item too much times it would probably collapse or (and I believe is the case he rememebered).

An object sticked with Adhesion is probably destroyed if too much force is used to try to separed them. The bind is stronger than most of the object's durability...but it depends by the force you apply to try to separate them

Edited by Yata

2 minutes ago, Yata said:

Wll Windrunner's surges could indirectly cause the things' destruction. If you lash an item too much times it would probably collapse or (and I believe is the case he rememebered).

An object sticked with Adhesion is probably destroyed if too much force is used to try to separed them. The bind is stronger than most of the object's durability...but it depends by the force you apply to try to separate them

Well, yeah, that much is obvious, but neither of these suggest 'destroying items with the barest of thought.'. That was always the job of the Dustbringers, wasn't it? The people who could literally disintegrate walls with 'the barest thought'.

1 minute ago, Bort said:

Well, yeah, that much is obvious, but neither of these suggest 'destroying items with the barest of thought.'. That was always the job of the Dustbringers, wasn't it? The people who could literally disintegrate walls with 'the barest thought'.

Yeah I know, but I am quite confident the example I posted was presented in the book. So maybe He remembered it (probably it's from the Ars Arcanum)

During his chapters in WoK, Szeth uses throwing tables to great effect, but they are never directly destroyed by his powers. He uses them as a distraction, throwing them at people as mentioned above, but he also turns tables into glue traps, and to block doorways.

The only time the tables are destroyed though, are when people crash through them, or they are hacked to bits with a Shardblade.

If he wanted to though, I'm sure there are no reasons why Szeth couldn't do to a table what he did with the balcony where Gavilar died. Multiple Lashings, and the table would eventually collapse under its own weight. Again, this is hardly 'with barely a thought' though, is it?

Ok, Kaladin should learn to lash matter, he already lashes other people so duh. Isn't that lashing still Gravitation, not Adhesion? Do both Windrunner surges combine for the 3 lashings? Or does Adhesion work for sticking stuff with stormlight?

Is it the Skybreakers and Dustbringers with the TnT Telepathy? Division.

As an aside... I'm slightly bummed no one got to get Shardplate at all. I know pacing pacing across 10 novels. Someone should have gotten his 4th, Dalinar hopefully since he is guarded only by his uniform.

Which Flashback character is next for Book 4? 

Graphic Audio says May-April for their "Movie in your Mind" version of Oathbringer. Cannot wait, just fidget and hmmmm like Pattern does so often.

Thanks Seons all.

Adhesion is the 'full lashing' you see in the books, like when Szeth uses Stormlight to seal a door closed. Part-lashings and reverse-lashings are both due to Gravitation. All of this is according to the Coppermind, by the way. In case you're wondering :)

Yes, it is Skybreakers and Dustbringers that get Division.

Flashback character for book 4 is most likely going to be Eshonai, although it is possible that it could be Szeth. Either way, these are the two flashback characters for the next two books.

Don't be so sure... Go back and reread. Admittedly though, it is a bit ambiguous whether or not the armour was real, or an illusion though.

One of Shallan's aspects was wearing Plate during the battle at the end, and when Jasnah goes looking for Shallan, it turns out that the aspect who was wearing Plate was also the aspect that turned out to be real, as in not an illusion). By that point though, there was no Plate visible, I think.

Edited by Bort
Fixing spoiler.

1 hour ago, tabitreader said:

Ok, Kaladin should learn to lash matter, he already lashes other people so duh. Isn't that lashing still Gravitation, not Adhesion? Do both Windrunner surges combine for the 3 lashings? Or does Adhesion work for sticking stuff with stormlight?

Is it the Skybreakers and Dustbringers with the TnT Telepathy? Division.

As an aside... I'm slightly bummed no one got to get Shardplate at all. I know pacing pacing across 10 novels. Someone should have gotten his 4th, Dalinar hopefully since he is guarded only by his uniform.

Which Flashback character is next for Book 4? 

Graphic Audio says May-April for their "Movie in your Mind" version of Oathbringer. Cannot wait, just fidget and hmmmm like Pattern does so often.

Thanks Seons all.

Division is shared by the skybreakers and dustbringers. Brandon confirmed That Eshonai is the flashback character of book 4.

1 hour ago, tabitreader said:

Someone should have gotten his 4th, Dalinar hopefully since he is guarded only by his uniform.

Really? Dalinar hardly needs armor as he showed us in his duel with the Queen of Thaylenahs son. I mean, he took a sword through a lung. It barely missed his heart. And it barely even slowed him down. He kept talking like he wasn't even in pain, though we know he was. Still, 'guarded only by his uniform' hardly does Dalinar Kholin any justice.

8 hours ago, Yata said:

If you lash an item too much times it would probably collapse or (and I believe is the case he rememebered).

8 hours ago, Yata said:

Yeah I know, but I am quite confident the example I posted was presented in the book. So maybe He remembered it (probably it's from the Ars Arcanum)

Are you perhaps thinking of the balcony from The Way of Kings prologue, which Szeth lashes downward many times and eventually collapses due to that?

1 hour ago, Govir said:

Are you perhaps thinking of the balcony from The Way of Kings prologue, which Szeth lashes downward many times and eventually collapses due to that?

I meant the other example, the "the object will broke before the Adhesion force" that I believe is proposed into the Ars Arcanum

• Chaos locked this topic