Secret Societies of Roshar - (Spoilers likely)

Aradel

Im confused, I thought that the Ghostbloods and the Skybreakers might be somehow related.  Mraize says to Shallan that her brother sought out the Skybreakers, but he is working for the Ghostbloods.  Anyone clear me up?

Do we actually know he was working for the Ghostbloods? I'm starting to suspect he wasn't. His father was a member of the Ghostbloods and he and Helaran were probably not working towards the same goals. I know that Brightlord Davar joined up with the Ghostbloods well after Helaran left but they were still in very significant conflict and disagreement about pretty much everything.

The only reason we think Helaran is a Ghostblood is because Amaram speculated that the Ghostbloods sent a Shardbearer after him. Just like Gavilar assumed the Ghostbloods sent Szeth after him. I think they were both wrong.

I think Helaran was either working with the non-Radiant 'Skybreakers' or another group.

Just a minor item, but I'm starting to suspect that the friend of Jasnah's mother wasn't actually her lover.  Rather, I suspect that was the cover story that Jasnah's father concocted after Jasnah killed both of them.

Shallan killed her mother not Jasnah, Jasnah is the daughter of Gavilar and brother to Elhokar.

So when at the signing, I asked Brandon just how many secret societies were on Roshar.

The answer: THERE ARE NINE CURRENTLY WORKING.

So far, I've worked out about six. Again: Slight Spoilers!

1: The 17th Shard (Brandon Confirmed)

2: Ghostbloods

3: Mr. T and the followers of the Diagram

4: Sons of Honor

5: Skybreakers

6: Envisagers? (Teft's family)

7: ?

8: ?

9: ?

Did anyone catch any I missed?

I think the group that Graves is apart of in his own time could also be one of the secret societies.

Where does Thaidakar fit into all of this?

Based on Mraize's comment about getting the stolen information to Master Thaidakar I'm fairly certain he's the head of the Ghostbloods.

Gavilar is the key to three of the groups. It now seems that once he started getting the visions he brought together a group to act on them which included at least Mr. T, Amaram and the involvement (if not creation) of the Ghostbloods. Once he died we see the group splintering, Mr T goes to the Nightwatcher and forms his own group with the goal of saving some of humanity. The Sons of Honor see the need for the return of the Radients and the building up of the Church and I have no idea what the true goal of the Ghostbloods are.     

I don't think Gavilar was involved with the Ghostbloods. He thought Szeth was sent by Thaidakar who is part of, if not the leader of, the Ghostbloods. I do think that Gavilar was involved with the Sons of Honor.

Gavilar's death wasn't that long after he started getting the visions. I get the distinct impression that the Ghostbloods have been around for a lot longer than that.

It's also not totally clear if Taravangian went to the Nightwatcher or drew the Diagram before or after Gavilar's death. He had already started to notice the Death Rattles by that time. It wasn't until the night of Gavilar's death that Taravangian knew about the visions. 

Where are those mentioned?

The Oldbloods are the group that Graves and Moash were apart of trying to kill elhokar. Also to note is that Graves didn't join the group under orders of Mr T, but because he believed in the cause.

I want to say that the Oldbloods are more well organized that it's shown so far, mostly because of the riots in Khalinor, which I believe might be guided by the Oldbloods.

The Oldbloods are the group that Graves and Moash were apart of trying to kill elhokar. Also to note is that Graves didn't join the group under orders of Mr T, but because he believed in the cause.

I want to say that the Oldbloods are more well organized that it's shown so far, mostly because of the riots in Khalinor, which I believe might be guided by the Oldbloods.

Can you quote the passage, please? The only mention I found of "Oldblood" is Dalinar talking to Teleb, which just confuses me...

• Chaos locked this topic