shawnhargreaves

[OB] Cultivation's perpendicularity

13 posts in this topic

In OB part 4 we learn that the spren no longer consider it safe to travel to Cultivation's perpendicularity in the Horneater peaks.  Apparently the Fused and Voidspren are there in force - sounds like they are putting significant effort into controlling that area (much more so than other places in Shadesmar).

We have nowhere near enough info yet to understand why, but let's not let that stand in the way of a random speculation thread! 

My first thought was that controlling the perpendicularity was about getting easier access to Braize, perhaps as part of the process by which the Fused respawn and/or voidlight is powered.  But the Fused and Everstorm appear to predate Odium having enough force to take over parts of Shadesmar.

Any other ideas?  Perhaps this is about blocking Cultivation from doing something?

Edited by shawnhargreaves

A lot of Shadesmar's economy is based on getting things from the Physical Realm.  Stormlight, food for the mortals, travelers, etc.  Whoever controls the access points to the PR would have quite a degree of power over Shadesmar.

Also, controlling the perpendicularity controls who can get from Shadesmar to the PR.  People like Azure and Vasher would find it harder to get to the PR.  They might be stopped, captured, turned back, or even corrupted. 

Ohh and don't forget that Odium would always be on the lookout for Hoid. 

I suspect that they are trying to prevent Worldhoppers from getting to Roshar--even beyond people like Hoid and Vasher. There are a lot of really powerful people in the Cosmere that would not want Odium to escape his prison, and would have an interest in stopping him if it seems like it could happen. So they may also just be trying to keep those people out.

Edited by Stormlightning

I wonder how tricky it would be to link this location to the oath fate network. Surely the knight created a way to secure this region,  we can only guess it's true importance.

Odium still needs to kill Cultivation and I’d think taking over her perpendicularly is a step in this. 

23 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Odium still needs to kill Cultivation and I’d think taking over her perpendicularly is a step in this. 

Agreed, this seems like a good strategy to draw her out of hiding. You can't splinter what you can't find, and it seems like she has been trying to stay hidden.

According to Brandon, she's not actually hiding, although it appears so to in-world peeps.

2 hours ago, RShara said:

According to Brandon, she's not actually hiding, although it appears so to in-world peeps.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense.

I tried searching in Arcanum and couldn't find the WoB, but it was referenced in The Recreance Shardcast:

Gavin-son-son-Odegard [PENDING REVIEW]

How does Cultivation figure in this conflict between Odium? *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, what people assume is that Cultivation is hiding. I would disagree with that. People in-world would assume that.

@RShara or @Calderis do you know if there any other WoB's about what Cultivation has been up to?

I know that there's been a lot of speculation that she is doing a long con on Odium with the Diagram (which I personally agree with and I'm pretty sure you do too Calderis), but it would be interesting to see more WoBs on this.

Sadly, Brandon's been very carefully RAFOing almost everything about Cultivation and what she's up to.  Also, not many people have asked much about her recently, which is kinda weird.  Most of the WoBs are asking about whether Nightwatcher is a <insert speculation here> of Cultivation.

She is planning to not only cultivate odium but the remains of honor.

Her Perpendicularity is the only trustworthy way to move from/to the PR.

It will be' foolish to not consider It a critical strategic points. By the way, the Fused Need It to arrive in Shadesmar's too (with the probably exception of the Traspotation Fused) and Odium Need to operate a control also in that Realm

The honor one is said to temporary and mobile, could there be a way to anchor it to stabilize it for more regular use?

6 minutes ago, .S.A.M.K.M said:

The honor one is said to temporary and mobile, could there be a way to anchor it to stabilize it for more regular use?

I think that'd be a bad idea, regardless of whether it's possible.  Most of the ecology of Roshar, from rockbuds and whatever those grain buds are, to great shells, is dependent on regular infusions of Stormlight via the Highstorm and Honor's moving Perpendicularity. 

However, if Dalinar can summon it temporarily whenever he wants, that would give his side a huge advantage.  So Dalinar could be a temporary anchor for it.