The Nature of the Spiritual Realm

Argent

NOTE: This piece of information is independent of the content of Words of Radiance, so it is spoiler-free!

As a part of my personalization request for my Words of Radiance preorder from Weller Books, I asked Brandon to give me an answer the following (paraphrased) question: 

We know the Shadesmar is a (rough) translation of the phrase "Cognitive Realm" in the language of the people who first "coined" the name. Is there a similar name for the Spiritual Realm, and if so - what is it?

Of course Brandon figured out a way to weasel out of a direct response, but he still offered me some insight into the nature of the Spiritual Realm (photo will come later):

There are cultures with a name for the Spiritual Realm, but most of them translate to "Heaven," which isn't entirely accurate by our understanding. Some day perhaps I will say more.

So there you have it, folks. The Spiritual Realm is, at least in some way, Heaven.

Welcome Crystal bodies... Who says they don't stop there?

It's a bit debated, but seems to me to make sense as a final place...

Sazed has yet to learn how to touch the distant other side, where all souls go. He is able to see into the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms, and any spirits or souls who remain there, rather than passing on. Generally, you have to be tied to the Physical Realm in specific ways to not pass on. As for where Tindwyl is, I will have to leave this up to you to imagine for now.

because of that WoB and so if we assume there is another realm for the dead who have passed on. Then what's the point of staying in the spiritual realm?

Interesting, I hadn't remembered that WoB, but as Argent just posted in a signing response, Brandon said that the Spiritual realm is also Heaven.

Is there something beyond Heaven? Unclear in the Cosmere. There is a "God Beyond" that we have seen reference to in a few of the newer works, which seems distinct from mankind's memory of Aldonalsium, so maybe there is something past the spiritual realm, though with the newer information, I would say it is less cut and dry...

Remember, "there is always another secret."

I personally believe that life in the cosmere dwells in three separate realms ( obviously ). The physical ( What you are ), the cognitive ( what you think you are) and the spiritual ( what you can be ). Then when you die you can choose to fap about in the spiritual or cognitive realm, or you could go beyond to where ever that is. I don't think that the spiritual realm IS heaven, but that that is the closest definition we have. Understand?

I disagree with the "The Spiritual Realm is, at least in some way, Heaven." statement you make since I'm reading the WoB differently I guess.  If Brandon had just said the bit about the names translating to "Heaven" I would be okay with it but he goes on to mention that they are not correct in calling it that.

As the WoB CrystalBodies (a link to which can be found here) clearly states the Spiritual Realm is NOT the final resting place for the cosmere, so it isn't what we would call "Heaven".

Those cultures need to have something right - no fantasy lore is 100% wrong.

They're right that there is an afterlife; they just put it in the wrong place. The mistake makes sense, because most people also think the Shards are the greatest power around, and the Shards are Spiritual.

The best definition of the Spiritual Realm that I can think of is "Weird."

Let's list what we know about it-

1. It is related to the gravitational pull of objects per WoB (this is just about our only absolute fact about it)

2. It is possibly related to color

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6716-physical-colour-is-not-the-fuel-for-awakening-mild-wor-spoilers/

3. It is possibly related to Investiture

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/5060-theory-investiture-only-exists-in-the-spiritual-realm/

4. Some people on Roshar believe it to be a place of ideals or truths, though this may or may not be true

Do we know anything else?

EDIT: 5. It contains SDNA and Spiritwebs

Edited by Power

• Chaos locked this topic