[OB] Where are the Willshapers? (Spoilers)

Ataraxian Wist

So far in the Stormlight Archive, we've seen members of nine orders of Knight Radiant. We've seen a Stoneward in one of Dalinar's visions, and there have been important characters in ask of the other orders. Except for Willshapers.

I mean, there was that one guy NOT. Nothing we've seen yet even suggests a Willshaper. The other spren never mention the Willsgapers' spren even in passing. What is going on with this?

Edited by Sazedezas
typo

7 minutes ago, RShara said:

Pretty sure Venli is a willshaper, and their spren are the Reachers (Ico and his crew).

Some more clarification, Ico's father is a deadeye, and Ico said his daughter ran off chasing dreams, and Timbre says that her grandfather died in the Recreance. We don't have confirmation, but it seems too much to be a coincidence.

Edited by Leyrann

6 hours ago, Sazedezas said:

So far in the Stormlight Archive, we've seen members of nine orders of Knight Radiant. We've seen a Stoneward in one of Dalinar's visions, and there have been important characters in ask of the other orders. Except for Willshapers.

I mean, there was that one guy NOT. Nothing we've seen yet even suggests a Willshaper. The other spren never mention the Willsgapers' spren even in passing. What is going on with this?

To be fair we haven't seen most of the Orders in Dalinar's visions, and he seems to have gotten really lucky in the Orders that have sprung up around him and his family. If Elkohar had lived, Dalinar would still only have doubled up on Windrunners and Lightweavers.

7 hours ago, RShara said:

Pretty sure Venli is a willshaper, and their spren are the Reachers (Ico and his crew).

Timbre hums the Rhythms, which definitely makes me think he's a Cryptic. Aside from that, Venli doesn't seem like the explorer type.

Edited by Sazedezas
typo

Venli was a scholar, which is kind of an explorer in the intellectual rather than physical sense?

But it was Eshonai that was described specifically as being an explorer, not necessarily all Willshapers.  WoR epigraphs say their order was varied in personality, loved adventure, novelty or oddity, and could be frustrating/unreliable.  Eshonai's exploring certainly fits those traits, but I think Venli's research does too.

2 minutes ago, shawnhargreaves said:

Venli was a scholar, which is kind of an explorer in the intellectual rather than physical sense?

But it was Eshonai that was described specifically as being an explorer, not necessarily all Willshapers.  WoR epigraphs say their order was varied in personality, loved adventure, novelty or oddity, and could be frustrating/unreliable.  Eshonai's exploring certainly fits those traits, but I think Venli's research does too.

Good point. But still, Timbre hummed to the Rhythms, which seems very Cryptic-esque to me.

4 hours ago, Sazedezas said:

Timbre hums the Rhythms, which definitely makes me think he's a Cryptic. Aside from that, Venli doesn't seem like the explorer type.

Knowing the rhythms is just an affect of being bonded to a Singer.  Also, she more pulses the Rhythms rather than hums them.  Timbre was originally supposed to be Eshonai's but since she's dead, Timbre fled to Venli.  Not a perfect match, but better than being mindless or corrupted. 

Also, Brandon's said that Venli and Eshonai would be the same Order. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/175-oathbringer-houston-signing/#e8413

Vulcronos [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Book Four still planned to be Eshonai's viewpoint?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Vulcronos [PENDING REVIEW]

And, would she have been a Willshaper?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

She would be the same Order as her sister.

Timbre can't be a Cryptic, as shawn mentioned, because she doesn't look a thing like a Cryptic.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:43 PM, Sazedezas said:

I don't think Timbre ever hums the rhythms, but the description given is that he 'pulses' them, which to me sounds like it has a visual effect more than audio.

31 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Wait. Did I miss something? I don't remember Venli ever describing what Timbre looked like. ???

Timbre is described as a "comet" which flies around, by both Eshonai and Venli. She both looks and moves completely differently than Pattern, the only Cryptic we've seen.

Eshonai was a proto-Willshaper, but succumbed to stormform.  After she died, the spren she had attracted (Timbre) started following Venli around, since they were sisters.  At the end of Oathbringer, Timbre trapped the Voidspren in Venli's gemheart, and they began bonding when Venli said the first oath.

IMO, Venli's plotline in Book 4 will continue with her being a storyteller, only she'll start organizing disgruntled Parshmen to rebel against the Fused.  The end of Oathbringer kind of hinted at this.

As for Timbre's appearance, I've always thought of her as looking like the Sea Ghosts you find in Yngol's Barrow in Skyrim.

• Chaos locked this topic