Szeth's Unique Aquisition (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Swimmingly

The real question to be is that what happens when an Honorblade and Nightblood fight. Personally I am inclined to believe that it would be a close fight and more determined by the skill of the wielder than anything.

Thats why I am hoping that Zahel gets an Honorblade to defeat Szeth

Nightblood is far more heavily invested than a Shardblade, Brandon says this. Nightblood will definitely come out on top, but I don't think it will be auto-death for the spren. Probably the shardblade would be "dispersed" for a while, knocking the spren out of the physicl realm, and being distinctly unpleasant.

Well, at least we'll likely see what a Shardblade hitting Nightblood will do in book 3, huh? A secondary thing would be to see how good Szeth is without Windrunning. Certainly most of his victories so far depended on the fact that no one understood or prepared for people doing the things he did.

I'm pretty sure Skybreakers have the gravity surge.

I'm not sure how anybody, radiant or no, is going to be prepared for a Shin madman wielding a blade Invested with alien magic orders of magnitude more powerful than any Shardblade.

Which soul will be severed? The Shardblade (which basically is a soul) or Nightblood (which is a soul and a sword)?

Shoot him with an arrow? Lash him to a wall? I'm also not sure I agree with the orders of magnitude stronger than a Shardblade, as Kaladin's fight with Szeth, particularly the changing shape of the Shardblade, seems like it could be pretty devastating... big spinning discus through a troop formation that you resummon, for example?

WoB.

He probably can't be Lashed, like Kaladin, when imbued with Stormlight. I'm pretty sure they'd conflict. Besides, Szeth now knows that Kaladin can do that, and is used to quick changes of gravity. He'll probably be able to account for quick gravity changes.

What brings him to Roshar, why doesn't he have nightblood anymore, and what is his plan? He was definitely willing to mess around with his own planet/land. Why Roshar?

I think he let someone steal Nightblood, but they didn't kill themself.

Guest Shash

I hope Szeth decides to go on a madman repentance spree. Just absolutely viciously making up for the problems he caused by slaying Voidbringers and Unmade left and right. Maybe even kill a corrupt Herald now and then.

not sure Szeth have any surges, he's not bonded to no spren.

I believe Nin is about to turn him into Skybreaker so he will have some additional abilities, as well as Shardblade of his own and a way to draw Stormlight to fuel Nightblood. Dual wielding omg omg omg omg omg

Szeth is pretty spineless 

I disagree. Kaladin didn't know everything when he called Szeth a coward, only that he was doing the killings against his will. Szeth was a madman because of what he did, his eyes always too round as he kept them always open and his teeth grinding from the sounds of the dead. Yet, he still killed when told to and added to his agony. He did this because from what he was told, it was the honorable thing to do.

About Szeth being spineless... I shared Nin's point of view of him from the beginning. I find what he was doing very honorable. That's why I didn't buy stuff about Honorblades, because I believed he was KR.... Although he is broken at this point, but so far every person that turned out to be KR and we got his backstory has been at some point broken, so it may be just me but I believe Szeth is something like Sazed of this story. I believe he will become Skybreaker but he will not agree with Nin's understanding of justice, even with Nightblood trolling him on every step he takes to becoming what Skybreakers actually were back in the day.

Edited by 213

Szeth will be unstoppable...until he runs into a lil baby larkin that is. Then poof, no more investiture for Nightblood to feed off. I'm curious as to whether or not the Larkin will be able to drink the breath right out of Nightblood.

I don't see Szeth having Nightbood as being good for him character developement-wise (note, this is not the same as me thinking this is bad writing). In WoK and WoR he spent most of his time pushing the blame for his actions off onto other people. It was the oathstone holder's fault for ordering him to kill, it was the victim's fault for not being able to stop him. He was truthless, none of this was on him. When he sees evidence to the contrary he is willing to believe the most flimsy explanation to explain that evidence away. When he is finally confronted with the truth, the guilt break him. Those deaths were all him. Even if someone holding a rock ordered him to do it, he still carried out the orders. Then a stranger came along and said it wasn't Szeth fault, but rather all of this was caused by the people who had named him truthless. Szeth grabs hold of this new form of denial with both hands, and then acquires a weapon who will happily justify killing 'evil' people. Nightblood isn't really known for his ability to tell good from evil, and it seems like the transition between worlds has turned off some of his attributes. In Warbreaker he would repelled good people (as seen in his first encounter with Vivenna) but cause evil people to go on a murder/suicide spree. This doesn't seem to be present here. 

tl;dr: Szeth, unlike the other main characters, refuses to confront his issues. Nightblade will not help with this. 

I don't see Szeth having Nightbood as being good for him character developement-wise (note, this is not the same as me thinking this is bad writing). In WoK and WoR he spent most of his time pushing the blame for his actions off onto other people. It was the oathstone holder's fault for ordering him to kill, it was the victim's fault for not being able to stop him. He was truthless, none of this was on him. When he sees evidence to the contrary he is willing to believe the most flimsy explanation to explain that evidence away. When he is finally confronted with the truth, the guilt break him. Those deaths were all him. Even if someone holding a rock ordered him to do it, he still carried out the orders. Then a stranger came along and said it wasn't Szeth fault, but rather all of this was caused by the people who had named him truthless. Szeth grabs hold of this new form of denial with both hands, and then acquires a weapon who will happily justify killing 'evil' people. Nightblood isn't really known for his ability to tell good from evil, and it seems like the transition between worlds has turned off some of his attributes. In Warbreaker he would repelled good people (as seen in his first encounter with Vivenna) but cause evil people to go on a murder/suicide spree. This doesn't seem to be present here. 

tl;dr: Szeth, unlike the other main characters, refuses to confront his issues. Nightblade will not help with this. 

It might do just that, if Nightblood calls him evil. But you've got some nice points there. Although I believe he knew from the beginning that those death's were on him, that was part of punishment. Most likely he would've taken his life if not for restriction. Guilt isn't breaking him when he lets Kal kill him, he's already broken and he's been wishing all the while that someone could take his life and when he realizes that he was right all along it isn't bringing him any joy anymore. He believed he deserved what he was doing, but it appears he had no reason to do all those stuff and its a bit complicated because he believed it was right what it did to him, but at the same time he knew that it was wrong what he did to others. And after that realization the rightness of his punishment disappeared and only thing left was his grief and freedom to die, so he let himself die. But I agree with bolded part... That's not cool at all :(

That was the only time in the whole book I yelled. My other favourite bit was Hoid obliquely referencing that Cultivation wasn't really his type.

damnation where was this referenced? what chapter.

I read it quickly so i could go back later and absorb it on repeated rereads :D

Just started the mistborn series it's good but i really do prefer Stormlight Archives hands down.

Im new to the cosmere so i figured i might as well read all of the cosmeres instead of relying on coppermind.

Has anybody started a thread of the eggs that are referenced in this book?? 

I also find Szeth very honorable he sticks to what he is ordered to do no matter how distasteful he finds it.

I think during the battle on the shattered plains where he goes insane i think he has reached a breaking point and it's a survival instinct to block out the pain. Bare in mind he did as he was told as truthless and has killed so many people despite how we the readers now how much he hates it. We get a hint that he tried to warn of the return of the voidbringers to his people and they made him truthless disgraced and banished him, countless murders later and all his suffering he finds out he was right....stop and think of that and how you would react.

I would go to Shinovar and well.......i wouldn't even need NightBlood

Edited by WEZ313

A reminder- Nightblood has a warped definition of evil. From coppermind: "The Breaths it inherited decided "evil was someone who would try to take the sword and use it for evil purposes, selling it, manipulating and extorting others, that sort of thing.""

Szeth doesnt want to do that, he wants to kill the "evil" people who tricked him.

damnation where was this referenced? what chapter.

I read it quickly so i could go back later and absorb it on repeated rereads :D

Just started the mistborn series it's good but i really do prefer Stormlight Archives hands down.

Im new to the cosmere so i figured i might as well read all of the cosmeres instead of relying on coppermind.

Has anybody started a thread of the eggs that are referenced in this book?? 

At the very end, with Jasnah- A comment about him finding a woman his age, and there only being one in the area (Cultivation) that wasnt his type.

Here I go again....finish a Cosmere book and head straight to this site for some extra answers  :D

I thought the inclusion of Nightblood was a phenomenal surprise; I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the next book....Doesn't this seem like the most obvious connection between books so far? Up until now, the connections between books have mainly been a few disguised characters and name-dropping, but this was BIG and incredibly obvious to anyone who has read Warbreaker!!

I actually think that Szeth and Nightblood will be good for each other.  Nightblood is brash and unrestrained.  He basically wants to constantly act on his impulse to destroy.  Szeth is all about impulse control and using his head instead of his heart.  Sounds like a buddy movie if I ever heard one.

Brandon confirmed tonight that Nightblood can run off stormlight.  He basically would not say Zahel was Vasher, but, he kinda said he was without saying he was Zahel was Vasher.  He then said if Zahel WAS vasher, then  he could survive on Stormlight.  

As other has stated, he also signed my book with an unknown ideal, "I will stand when others fall."  

Okay, I'm going to sound pretty obtuse but HOW did everyone know right away that Zahel was Vasher? Are there obvious clues that I missed? Haha clearly I'm lightyears behind everyone else in the cosmere

Ive read warbreaker, but only once and some time ago- i didnt catch on either, heck i had forgotten about nightblood altogether ;)

Must reread warbreaker i think ;)

I had hoped in TOK that szeth would find redemption, after WOR though i think he is being set up to be a bad guy.

At the very end, with Jasnah- A comment about him finding a woman his age, and there only being one in the area (Cultivation) that wasnt his type.

It's in chapter 55, when Wit returns to the warcamps. Shallam hugs him, and Adolin isn't too thrilled about it, which brings up the "women his age" topic.

I bet he can feed off stormlight, but not nearly as efficiently as breath. That said, I don't think he'll break a shardblade, just resist it. He hasn't been shown to have lightsaber qualities.

Well, we have WoB that (a) Nightblade is orders of magnitude more powerful than Shardblades, and (b) that something "interesting" would happen if Nightblood were to ever clash with a Shardblade. I'm inclined to believe that Brandon's idea of "interesting" in this context is a bit more extraordinary than just being able to resist the blade. I wonder if Nightblood can somehow interact directly with the semi-dead spren within the Blade? Or, in the case of a Knight Radiant with a still living spren, could Nightblood "kill" the spren?

Edited by Teccam

WoB is that he hasn't yet quantified exactly Nightblood vs. Shardblade.

Nightblood feeds on investiture. There are 2 possibilities:

* Nightblood completely destroys the spren, since spren is basically investiture. This means *puff* shardblade. However, this would basically "release" the spren from physical and return it to the shardpool. For example, this could be a step in putting back Honor. Also, vs. the voidbringers, it would be destroying the odiumspren possessing them. A thorough use of Nightblood in these conditions would return all invested power to the shards. Which could mean Odium would be free to leave though, and this would make the dragon intervene.

* Nightblood cannot destroy heavily invested things such as spren. So shards vs. Nightblood => depends on skill. Remember also evil men are compelled to pull Nightblood, so at least some radiants would be safe :D maybe :D

* Nightblood completely destroys the spren, since spren is basically investiture. This means *puff* shardblade. However, this would basically "release" the spren from physical and return it to the shardpool. For example, this could be a step in putting back Honor. Also, vs. the voidbringers, it would be destroying the odiumspren possessing them. A thorough use of Nightblood in these conditions would return all invested power to the shards. Which could mean Odium would be free to leave though, and this would make the dragon intervene.

* Nightblood cannot destroy heavily invested things such as spren. So shards vs. Nightblood => depends on skill. Remember also evil men are compelled to pull Nightblood, so at least some radiants would be safe :D maybe :D

What/who is this dragon you speak of. I've seen it once before but can't remember where.

I think it's the second one, but not quite for that reason. I think we can agree that Nightblood and shardblades are similar-ish in creation. Unless I'm misremembering, when Shardblades cut through things, they cause a slight fog/mist. Nightblood, because it's more invested, just vaporizes everything. But when in contact, it makes sense to me that you'd be able to duel as if both were Shards or both were just steel. That's my take anyway, and it seems like a logical path Brandon would take. I don't think he would bring over Nightblood just for it to instantly trump shardblades, which are amazing in their own right.