Szeth's Unique Aquisition (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Swimmingly

I think Nightblood will be good for Szeth. Nightblood has always reminded me of a puppy. A terrifying, arguably evil, merciless, all destroying doom-puppy who leaves trails of death and destruction in his wake, but a puppy nonetheless. Considering Szeth's depression and nihilism, I think a puppy may be just what the doctor ordered.

I think Nightblood will be good for Szeth. Nightblood has always reminded me of a puppy. A terrifying, arguably evil, merciless, all destroying doom-puppy who leaves trails of death and destruction in his wake, but a puppy nonetheless. Considering Szeth's depression and nihilism, I think a puppy may be just what the doctor ordered.

Good Nightblood! Who's a terrifying consumer of souls? You are! Yes you are!

Nightblood sort of is a shardblade though..Not quite the same thing, but a close comparison. Sort of interesting, the number of Warbreaker tosses in WoR. Will be very interested to see how the breath/stormlight thing pans out.

My baseless speculation - however - is that Nalan likely has actual Breath. I wanted to immediately jump to the conclusion that he holds the shard from warbreaker now, but that seems like it has more holes in it than swiss cheese. You know how thoughts fire off in situations like that...anyways...he is extremely cosmere aware, as long as we continue to believe he wasn't simply given the sword, to give to Szeth.

As far as the orders of magnitude, I think that power comes from Nightbloods personality more than powers, although iirc they are in and of themselves far different and in some ways similar to shardblades

Edited by Blackwood

Nightblood sort of is a shardblade though..Not quite the same thing, but a close comparison. Sort of interesting, the number of Warbreaker tosses in WoR. Will be very interested to see how the breath/stormlight thing pans out.

My baseless speculation - however - is that Nalan likely has actual Breath. I wanted to immediately jump to the conclusion that he holds the shard from warbreaker now, but that seems like it has more holes in it than swiss cheese. You know how thoughts fire off in situations like that...anyways...he is extremely cosmere aware, as long as we continue to believe he wasn't simply given the sword, to give to Szeth.

As far as the orders of magnitude, I think that power comes from Nightbloods personality more than powers, although iirc they are in and of themselves far different and in some ways similar to shardblades

Given the fact Vasher is also on Roshar, I'd guess he doesn't have Breath. Vasher was never very careful with Nightblood. He finally let someone with enough will to control the sword steal it.

I will call it now. The Honorblade vs Nightblood battle is how the world will end.

Kaladin: Oh no! Syl broke again!

*Takes Honorblade*

Kaladin: Imma lash you to the moon! Now go to Dam... Wait, does it look like the moon is getting bigger? Why is it falling d...

Boooooooom.

Anyways, have anyone ever thought to use Surgebinding in more violent ways? Lash different parts of a person's body to a different direction and... KALADIN WINS! FATALITY!

I suspect that Lashing in that way works Cognitively - Affecting the whole person.

Otherwise, if nothing else, Kaladin could be enhancing his strikes by lashing his hands in a direction temporarily, to boost their power.  

If Szeth didn't think to do that, I'm guessing it can't be done - He had a very good grasp of his powers, as inefficient as they might be relative to the Radiants.  

I only realised vasher was in WOR ,when Nightblood spoke.

Now that would have a terific glimpse of radiance

Also I don't think Nightblood will be able to break Shardblades

Nightblood may be more powerfull than a shardblade , but Szeth isn't going to fight only normal Shardbearers. Nightblood was created with  thousand Breaths ,but probably has less investure than a honourblade. The windrunner honour blade didn't pierce through

any other shardblades.

Ill be honest, I didn't catch it at first (the now obvious way he is physically described and his first odd idiom) but by the time Yahel mentioned there being 2 people who lived in his room and the voice he hadn't heard in years I was pretty sure. 

additional clues: purelake reminds him of home and has adolin training to throw his sword (this is might or might not be intentional, but I am inclined to think it is in hind sight).

GAH...now I have to get my friends to read warbreaker...they will just miss this reference...

Ill be honest, I didn't catch it at first (the now obvious way he is physically described and his first odd idiom) but by the time Yahel mentioned there being 2 people who lived in his room and the voice he hadn't heard in years I was pretty sure. 

additional clues: purelake reminds him of home and has adolin training to throw his sword (this is might or might not be intentional, but I am inclined to think it is in hind sight).

GAH...now I have to get my friends to read warbreaker...they will just miss this reference...

Yep.  i notified my friends immediately that without Warbreaker Words of Radiance is not quite as awesome.  And convinced my Girlfriend to read it because it's Sanderson's Disney princess Book.(Not a bad thing)

Edited by Aminar

My only beef (and it's a small cow, I assure you) is that in Warbreaker, Vasher wasn't exactly the best swordsman around. We know he had to win duels with superiors by that bit of breath trickery, and everyone that was opposed to him kept mentioning his apparently lackluster skill. It doesn't mesh with this grizzled wise blademaster we see in WoR.

Albeit - the simple explanation could go one of two ways: his enemies in warbreaker were simply underestimating him, but eh. I'm not sure, because his breath trick was really the only way to win IMO, for him at least.

The easiest approximation is simply time. Everyone bashed it in Wheel of time, with Demandred's skill - finding it unbelievable (to my amazement) that he was so good. Given that there was probably a long long time between Warbreaker and SA, Vasher could have easily learned every trick in the book, and wrote it himself.

Still feel bad for him not having his malignant sharp pointy friend around though. Hope he doesn't end up on the wrong end of it.

Edited by Blackwood

That's what I was driving at, not saying he wasn't very very good - just that he didn't give off an aura of blademaster to me, at the time. But time keeps a moving and he's had a lot of time to get better, especially now that the two people that could best him, to our knowledge, met their ends to him.

Warbreaker spoilers:

Vasher was never very good at swordfighting against Returned (Denth and Arsteel). As a Returned, Vasher is stronger and faster than normal men. I believe that compared to a regular Alethi swordsman, he'd win every time purely due to that. Him making Swordsmaster seems as reasonable as anything else. What else was he going to do? Join the ardentia?

Yes. Yes, it does. That's something to think about.

Definitely.

I have long assumed that like much in the Vorin world that "Sunmaker" was the romanticised/rose colored glasses of history title for the last king to unite Alethkar into a "golden age"... but it does sound very like a Returned name.

Could still be coincidence though. In Warbreaker the Returned are named by their priests, so it could just be a "human tendency" kind of thing to elevate and romanticize beings of power/importance. 

Huh. And here I was for the whole book thinking that Zahel was one of the Heralds, probably Ishar. But it totally makes sense for him to be Vasher, with all the colour references.

And - oh! Zahel was away at a trip to the Purelake. Where we saw him in WoK. Was the character in the Purelake interlude ever confirmed to be Vasher before?

Edited by Gagylpus

It is nightblood ? Sure looks like but Vasher are immortal and wouldn't part with the sword soo, no Warbreak II with Vasher?

Vasher wouldn't *willingly* part with Nightblood.  But he might have parted with it *unwillingly*.

Nightblood might also explain why Vasher's been hanging around for at least a dozen years (and likely longer); i.e. he's looking for his naive, cheerful, and oh so extraordinarily dangerous sword.