Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PatronOfRot

[OB] On Autonomy

10 posts in this topic

Recently on Reddit, somebody mentioned that Autonomy's investure doesn't empower sapient beings directly.

1. On Taldain, the sunlight contains investure that energizes microscopic lichen in the sand. Sandmastery is the manipulation of these organisms, but as far as I can tell, involves little to no flow of investure through ones self.

2. On Patji, Avien are formed when normal birds eat the grubs in the Eye of Patji. Notably, there is no effect if a human were to consume said grubs.

I believe that this is intentional on the part of Autonomy, and I believe that I know the reason why.

We know from Oathbringer that Autonomy is leaving sentient splinters of herself around the cosmere. From Secret History, we know that a share cannot be taken up without significant connection to it. 

As there is more Autonomy to go around, the likelihood that someone could eventually take up a splinter is higher.

Autonomy tries to limit others connection to it, either as a precaution or simply due to her intent, by providing this buffer between her magic and the people of the cosmere.

Edited by PatronOfRot

It is a good idea, and it does work with Autonomys Intent. I don't know if we can be sure about which Shard the Aviar are created by though. It might as well be splinters of Ambition, or another random Shard.

16 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

It is a good idea, and it does work with Autonomys Intent. I don't know if we can be sure about which Shard the Aviar are created by though. It might as well be splinters of Ambition, or another random Shard.

WOB confirms that Patji *is* autonomy (or as she puts it in OB an "avatar" of her). https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=patji

23 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

There are WoBs that strongly hints at it, but it doesn't outright confirm anything.

Fair enough. I would say that the evidence for it is rather strong though:

patjiShard.JPG.e8cedb09dcde0e68d894efaad058d014.JPG

pathiLetter.thumb.JPG.76b63b474f663eae56b125518f5a030e.JPG

patjiAutonomy.JPG.63c9a7085df3534fdd06e187b2cd13e5.JPG

Then there's the content of the second letter in OB (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Oathbringer/Epigraphs#Chapter_40):

2ndLetter.JPG.82762603b91f67d87677457e604d5955.JPG

This seems to be the most likely letter in OB that refers to Patji, and the author talks about having several representations of him/herself. In other WOB, Brandon has specified that Bavadin has entire pantheons of gods that are all her. He also indirectly confirms that Bavadin is autonomy (I can dig these up as well if you'd like).

@Clovermite I am in total agreement with you about that it points to Autonomy. I am protesting it because of this theory from @Oversleep, which I just now discovered had been debunked (btw Oversleep, if you read this, is the Autonomy = second letter WoB up yet?). I'll paste the theory here anyway, in case you find it interesting.

But since the theory below is wrong, I am in complete agreement with Autonomy = Patji. Thanks for making me check my facts!

40 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Clovermite I am in total agreement with you about that it points to Autonomy. I am protesting it because of this theory from @Oversleep, which I just now discovered had been debunked (btw Oversleep, if you read this, is the Autonomy = second letter WoB up yet?). I'll paste the theory here anyway, in case you find it interesting.

Thank you, I did find it interesting. @Fifth of Daybreak is actually my brother, and it is from him that I became convinced that autonomy is the author of the second letter. I wasn't aware of that thread (I haven't spent much time on the shard forums yet), so I find it funny that I ended up re-treading the same arguments that had already been hashed out.

I find it interesting how @Oversleep had taken the same passages that I had thought showed strong support for autonomy, and saw them as strong arguments against them. To me, this just shows how huge of a difference certain interpretations can make. When I read the second letter, I saw the use of "we" as more of a "royal we"  than a "literal we". In other words, I saw the verbiage as more of an act to differentiate personas than as a literal split of minds. I can understand how it would be taken that way though, and, now that I've seen the arguments for ambition, I find it very plausible (if not for the confirmation that Patji is related to autonomy from last week's signing).

Edited by Clovermite
adding more

@Clovermite Hah, nice with siblings on the Shard (and welcome by the way)! Tell First of Daybreak I said hi. 

As for the Autonomy vs Ambition things, I agree. I could see it both ways, until today.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

@Toaster Retribution @Clovermite

I don't think the WoB confirming Autonomy as the writer of the second Letter is up yet; it's something that Brandon mentioned to @Chaos after the event (and after recordings have been ended).

On 28.12.2017 at 9:10 PM, PatronOfRot said:

We know from Oathbringer that Autonomy is leaving sentient splinters of herself around the cosmere.

No, we actually don't know that. It seems that making the avatars is something we haven't seen yet, and does not necessarily mean Splinters. We have to wait and see.

6 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Clovermite Hah, nice with siblings on the Shard (and welcome by the way)! Tell First of Daybreak I said hi. 

As for the Autonomy vs Ambition things, I agree. I could see it both ways, until today.

Haha @Clovermite is much closer to being 'First' from our family but still not quite. 

Still, for one shining post I wasn't the middle child. :D

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak