Hoid's powers from around the cosmere

Gary Singer

There were two instances where I noticed that Hoid used or prepared to use powers/abilities that don't exist on Roshar.

In one of the flashback scenes with Shallan, we saw him ingest metals. She was wondering why he would potentially add poison to his own drink.

When he's tuning his instrument before playing for Kaladin, he thinks that perfect pitch makes it a lot easier. This means he has at least 200 breaths.

We already know he can travel through Shadesmar - we just don't know which power he uses to travel.

Did anyone notice any other instances of him using or preparing powers?

Edited by AhoyMatey

Jasnah's in for some surprises travelling with him, that's for sure. I can imagine her picking through his bags: hmm.. Bags of metal dust, brightly coloured fabric, spikes of various metals, bags of regular dust, stamps with glyphs on them (odd, I don't even remotely recognise these). What is he hiding?

Peter sort of confirmed the metal ingestion. When I mentioned "I just saw Hoid ingest allomantic metals!" when we were doing the gamma read, he said none of the beta readers had picked up on that...

Hoid is sometimes kind and helpful, but he has this ruthless streak in him. I think we've seen enough of him to know that he'll do anything and grab any abilities to achieve his goals.

In Rock's tale he comes out of lake that is said to be poisonous to non-Unkalakis, so he's got to have some sort of power that enhances his healt/body or whatever. Maybe he's burning pewter or something along those lines.

I wonder if this could actually be a shardpool?  Hasn't it been confirmed that all Shardworlds have them and if so is it possible that Hoid usees them in his Worldhopping ?

Also we know that Hoid uses Feruchemy in some capacity to know where to be at right time.

I wonder if this could actually be a shardpool?

Uh, yeah. I thought it was sorta obvious. :P

Green for Cultivation, it's located in the mountains... it's got all the makings of a Shardpool. Which means the Purelake is either Honor's or else not a Shardpool.

Uh, yeah. I thought it was sorta obvious. :P

Green for Cultivation, it's located in the mountains... it's got all the makings of a Shardpool. Which means the Purelake is either Honor's or else not a Shardpool.

HAHA  well between waiting for the book to release and reading straight through i was up for nearly 30 hours so I guess my brain is working a bit slow.

• Chaos locked this topic