Lord Mistborn Bondbreaker

[OB] If Shallan Burned Gold

10 posts in this topic

If Shallan was an augur and burned Gold, would she see possible pasts for herself, Radiant, and Veil?

Edited by Herald Of Justice

Shallan's occasional Lightweavings of a mostly catatonic version of herself remind me of the vision Vin has when she burns gold.

So probably one of those, maybe with a Veil and/or Radiant thrown in for good measure.

There's clearly some similar Realmatic underpinnings to Augur visions, self-applied Lightweaving, and soul Forging. All draw on your own history but add a "what if" twist.

That's actually a pretty interesting question. It's interesting to note that Brandon has said that there's a little bit of Soulcasting going on when Shallan changes between her personalities. I think she'd have to be one of her other personalities before she could see Augur-visions of them. 

Wait, I haven't read mistborn in a while, remind me again how exactly gold works? The coppermind says that you see a possible past self, so for example if I burned gold what, would I see a child version of me who likes sport instead of books (the horror)?

But I feel like this wouldn't work because of the temporal aspect of it- soulcasting (which is apparently happening with Shallans personas) convinces an object to become something else as opposed to forgery which convinces an object that it was always something else- thus in soul casting the object would still have its original form in its spiritweb as it's past version. Therefore Veils past is simply Shallans.

I think it's also important to note that shallans personas aren't really a what if type of thing, because she could imitate literally anything with no limits on plausibility because it's a direct manual change, as opposed to Forgeries, which must be close to what actually happened to stick, which I assume is the same mechanic gold used.

2 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

Wait, I haven't read mistborn in a while, remind me again how exactly gold works? The coppermind says that you see a possible past self, so for example if I burned gold what, would I see a child version of me who likes sport instead of books (the horror)?

But I feel like this wouldn't work because of the temporal aspect of it- soulcasting (which is apparently happening with Shallans personas) convinces an object to become something else as opposed to forgery which convinces an object that it was always something else- thus in soul casting the object would still have its original form in its spiritweb as it's past version. Therefore Veils past is simply Shallans.

I think it's also important to note that shallans personas aren't really a what if type of thing, because she could imitate literally anything with no limits on plausibility because it's a direct manual change, as opposed to Forgeries, which must be close to what actually happened to stick, which I assume is the same mechanic gold used.

Eh, the Coppermind isn't exactly right then. Augurs see a version of themselves if they had taken a different path or if different events had happened. 

So far we've only seen two Augur visions in the active PoV. In both cases the character saw a version of themselves as they would have been if they hadn't made a particular choice.

Yeah, I think if Shallan were to burn gold she'd see herself either as a non-radiant while still had mental health problems, or whole. 

Edited by Calderis

"Whole" doesn't really seem plausible. I don't think Gold can show you a version of yourself that depends on other people making different choices.

4 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

"Whole" doesn't really seem plausible. I don't think Gold can show you a version of yourself that depends on other people making different choices.

It shows an alternative version if the past had happened differently. A turning  point in someone's life is a turning point regardless of who made the decision. 

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

It shows an alternative version if the past had happened differently. A turning  point in someone's life is a turning point regardless of who made the decision. 

It sounds like you and I have different understandings of what Allomantic Gold does. And since I don't think there's enough canon information to prove either of us right, we may just have to live with that.