Cosmere Codenames

Herowannabe

Great job blue team!  And red team too - that was a really close game!

2 hours ago, Babilarian Darkeyes said:

(Incidentally the one Coppermind page with the word imprison on it was neither of those.)

Wow.  I didn't even consider Moon Scepter.  I was a little worried about Nightblood, Oathgate, and Chemoarish, but figured you'd win next turn with something like Fabrial or Armor.  

1 minute ago, Will Arbit said:

Can I join the next game? It looks like fun!

Absolutely - I added you to the Game 13 signup list.  We'll give people a few days and then probably kick off at the end of the week.  

Anybody have any ideas of what theme we should do this time?  Did you all like the Investiture-themed game?  

Any volunteers for Spymaster?  @Rhapsody still want to be Spymaster?

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Wow.  I didn't even consider Moon Scepter.  I was a little worried about Nightblood, Oathgate, and Chemoarish, but figured you'd win next turn with something like Fabrial or Armor.  

I considered armor but I was going to go with Bracer as I don't look at BoM as actual armor but they are called bracers and hopefully that would have been good enough for Half-Shard.

Well done. I thought I had this as I didn't think you would get both at once.

Edited by Babilarian Darkeyes

On 4/1/2019 at 4:23 PM, Babilarian Darkeyes said:

I considered armor but I was going to go with Bracer as I don't look at BoM as actual armor but they are called bracers and hopefully that would have been good enough for Half-Shard.

Well done. I thought I had this as I didn't think you would get both at once.

If it makes you feel any better, I had been wracking my brain for like a week trying to come up with a clue for Half-Shard and Well of Ascension and only came up with imprison that morning.  

Game 13 - Anyone who wants to sign up can add their name to the signup column of the Google Doc.  

Anyone want to be the 2nd Spymaster?  

7 players is enough for a game, so let's decide on a theme and fill the board. I think a world theme, like Roshar or Scadrial, is good, provided the world has enough articles (so no First of the sun). Shall we start with Roshar?

I filled half of it, mainly by using the "Random Page" feature. Funny thing is, although Roshar is probably the most documented world, many of those articles are 1-3 paragraphs, so feel free to change any that are too obscure.

Edited by Sariel

19 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I filled half of it, mainly by using the "Random Page" feature. Funny thing is, although Roshar is probably the most documented world, many of those article are 1-3 paragraphs, so feel free to change any that are too obscure.

Thanks!  I narrowed down to Rosharan characters, as I think that was @AonDii's original idea.  I also randomized the teams.  

As long as everyone is okay with the board, you and @Rhapsody can exchange a keycard (the Codenames Gadget app is the best for this) and get started.  

It's been a while since we've had a welcome post, so here's an old one with a quick rules recap.  One new rule that we can incorporate (at the Spymaster's discretion) is that for Turn 1 only, it's assumed that you won't be using your extra guess (unless you specify that you want to).  It's a minor thing, but it may save a little bit of time.  

On 2/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

Other players - you're welcome to join at any time!  Just let us know and we'll add you to a team :)

Spoiler warning: The gameboard is spoiler-free, but the Coppermind articles and the discussion may include Cosmere spoilers.  Play at your own risk!

Rules recap:

Spoiler

How to play - check out the initial post or the official rulebook

Locking in guesses - Bold your guesses to lock them in.  Only bolded guesses will count, and the Spymasters will consider them in the order they're listed.  

Passing turn - Your team's turn ends when one of four things happens:

1. You've used all your guesses (number in clue + 1)
  2. You guess incorrectly (opposing agent or Innocent Bystander)
  3. The 48 hour time limit runs out
  4. Your team passes (at least half your team states pass turn in bold)

Expert clues - Sometimes the Spymasters may use "expert clues" - zero or unlimited Zero means that no words are related to the clue.  Unlimited means that some number are related to the clue.  Both allow your team as many guesses as you wish (see the rulebook for more info).  

Eightball variant - In order to win, your team not only has to find all your team's agents, but also the Assassin in White.  Additionally, picking the Assassin in White does not immediately end the game with a loss.  Instead, a sudden death mode is entered where the team has unlimited guesses (but no more clues from the Spymaster) to find all of their remaining agents.  If they're successful, they win.  Otherwise, they lose.  

Spymaster specific info:

Spoiler

Game setup - One of you needs to generate the keycard (you can use the Codenames Gadget app) and them PM it to the other.  The background color indicates who goes first (and has an extra agent to guess).  

Clue-giving - Each clue must consist of a single word and a single number.  The number is the number of your team's agents that relate to that clue.  You can also use the expert clues none or unlimited instead of a number.  

Formatting -  When posting your clue, remember to tag your teammates and include a link to the game board.  

Responding to clues - Either one of you may respond to guesses.  If the other team's turn ends (due to the timer, incorrect guess, or passing) feel free to give your clue immediately, no need wait for the other Spymaster.  

Edited by Scion of the Mists

1 hour ago, Will Arbit said:

Aw yes game on! Does red or blue go first?

It depends on the keycard. One team will have 9 agents and will go first and the other will only have 8 agents. 

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Ooh, is it too late to (world)hop into this game?

Definitely not - welcome to the Red Team! Add your name to the Google Doc. We’ll get started soon. 

Edited by Scion of the Mists