[OB] Kaladin, Oroden and Gavinor

Harbour

I suspect no one else here address the fact that Brandon introduced two kids characters and tied both to Kaladin in the Oathbringer. Its Oroden and Gavinor. 

Oroden is Kaladin's new brother and another reason to protect the humanity. 

You I will protect, little one, Kaladin thought at the child. I will protect them all.

Gavinor is Elhokar's son, and thats really interesting hook for a new plot line. Elhokar basically passed everything he cared about to Kaladin. And its really symbolic that Kaladin's men brought Gavinor to Kaladin. To safety. 

You are here, Captain, to succeed when I fail. Remember that. Open the Oathgate, see that my wife and child are ushered through it to safety, and return with an army to reinforce this city

You'll do what I command. Be extraordinary, Captain. Nothing else will suffice.

Elhokar had fallen to his knees. In one arm he held his terrified son

Kaladin frowned as Drehy returned to the fire and picked up one of the figures there. A child? In rags. Yes, a frightened little boy, maybe three or four years old, lips chapped, eyes haunted. Elhokar's son.

Now, i dont expect much development for Kaladin-Mentor-Brother-Father Fighure plot line in Book 4 but i definitely expect Kaladin to become the father figure for Gavinor in the following books. And that will bring so much juicy stuff revolving the throne, Jasnah, ruling family and stuff.

I find it interesting because

1) Its exciting to see will Brandon gave some papa-wolf scenes for Kaladin;

2) Its interesting to see what roles both Gavinor and Oroden will play in Kaladin's character development and life beyond being just an objects for him to defend;

3) Its interesting to see Oroden and Gavinor dynamic in the back 5 books. I suspect they are similar in age, both of them most likely will be tied to Kaladin, and it would be interesting to see their dynamic given they have such a badass brother/"father figure".

Edited by Harbour

I love this idea, although whether or not Kaladin ends up in that role to Gavinor or not remains to be seen. Yes, it was Bridge 4 that rescued Gavinor and presented him to Kaladin, but Dalinar and Navani will likely end up raising him, considering his role as the heir- newlyweds and already thrust into parenthood? Not that they haven't been parents before, but never together. Or will is be Jasnah? She's the new monarch, but it could well be that they keep Gavinor as they heir afterwards, or at least a potential heir. Considering Jasnah has thusfar not shown much interest in love and children, it's likely Gavinor could still end up king one day. If Jasnah has to be a mother, suddenly, that could affect her character development greatly. I could see Kaladin as a bodyguard. Or perhaps Oroden is he follows in his brother's footsteps one day? After all, we don't know who will survive the first 5 books to make it past the 10-15 year gap.

Regarding Oroden and Gavinor, it depends on how Oroden grows - will he be a surgeon? a fighter? both like Kaladin? neither? A surgebinder or no? Will he grow up nearby, or with Kaladin's father be stubborn and they end up not moving to Urithiru after all? I would like to see their interactions though, so hopefully they get placed together. They both have shoes to fill, albeit very different ones.

I love this! Will be interesting to see the relationships develope. I doubt Kal will be the Father figure for either, but his protectiveness will come into play. Particularly given how traumatised Gavinor will be after all his experiences.

And they will no doubt be significant in the back half of the series.

I think Kalldin's family will move to Urithiru, but the whole of remaining Heathstone will come too. Headstone is Lirin's Bridge 4, there is no way he could leave them. 

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Kaladin, Oroden and Gavinor
On 12/25/2017 at 11:00 AM, Harbour said:

I suspect no one else here address the fact that Brandon introduced two kids characters and tied both to Kaladin in the Oathbringer. Its Oroden and Gavinor. 

Oroden is Kaladin's new brother and another reason to protect the humanity. 

Gavinor is Elhokar's son, and thats really interesting hook for a new plot line. Elhokar basically passed everything he cared about to Kaladin. And its really symbolic that Kaladin's men brought Gavinor to Kaladin. To safety. 

Now, i dont expect much development for Kaladin-Mentor-Brother-Father Fighure plot line in Book 4 but i definitely expect Kaladin to become the father figure for Gavinor in the following books. And that will bring so much juicy stuff revolving the throne, Jasnah, ruling family and stuff.

I find it interesting because

1) Its exciting to see will Brandon gave some papa-wolf scenes for Kaladin;

2) Its interesting to see what roles both Gavinor and Oroden will play in Kaladin's character development and life beyond being just an objects for him to defend;

3) Its interesting to see Oroden and Gavinor dynamic in the back 5 books. I suspect they are similar in age, both of them most likely will be tied to Kaladin, and it would be interesting to see their dynamic given they have such a badass brother/"father figure".

I was under the impression that Gavinor was 4 to 6 years old, while Oroden was an infant or toddler at best.

Edited by Crazy1993

3 hours ago, Crazy1993 said:

I was under the impression that Gavinor was 4 to 6 years old, while Oroden was an infant or toddler at best.

Gavinor is only 3 years old (I just heard that in my audiobook reread, and searching on Kindle shows it's on page 734). But I also agree that Oroden is at most 1-2 years old (he isn't walking).

Excerpt from page 734, Elhokar talking to Shallan:

Spoiler

"There are few people remaining to whom I can still be a hero, Radiant. This city. My son. Storms. He was a baby when I last saw him. He'd be three now. Locked in the palace..."

• Chaos locked this topic