Typos in WoR (Spoilers ahead)

harry31j97

Weirdly put phrase:

“Not just one people,” Pattern said, solemn. “Many. Spren with minds were less plentiful then, and the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded. There were very few survivors. The one you call Stormfather lived. Some others. The rest, thousands of us, were killed when the event happened. You call it the Recreance.”

A bit past Kindle location 17795.

I'd recommend changing it to:

"the majorities of several spren peoples were bonded"

or

"several spren peoples were all bonded"

or something like that. I'm not sure what the intended interpretation is supposed to be - I originally took it to mean that all the Cryptics were bonded at the time, since there were no ancient Cryptics or something.

Edited by Moogle

I have a question about this quote

"Here in Azir, working for the government was real important. Everyone else was said to be “discrete,” whatever that meant." - WoR p. 684

Is it really meant to be "discrete,"  or maybe it's "discreet"?  I've been puzzling over the context and I think it could go either way.  

So I tweeted this at Peter a while back but I figured I should probably bring it up here as well.

Chapter 12 of Words of Radiance (pg 104 when I open it using the Nook computer app) says this:

"Spren,” Rock said, pointing. “They pull the stone against the wall.”

“What?” Sigzil said, scrambling over, squinting at the rock Kaladin had pressed against the wall. “I don’t see them.”

“Ah,” Rock said. “Then they do not wish to be seen.” He bowed his head toward them. “Apologies, mafah’liki.”

Sigzil frowned, looking closer, holding up a sphere to light the area. Kaladin walked over and joined them. He could make out the tiny purple spren if he looked closely. “They’re there, Sig,” Kaladin said.

But Chapter 57 of The Way of Kings (pg 846 in the Nook computer app) they are described thusly:

Kaladin leaned close, squinting. He thought he could faintly make out tiny spren, dark blue and shaped like little splashes of ink, clustering around the place where the rock met the wall.

On twitter you mentioned the possibility of it being because of the lighting.  Is that actually the case?

A quick request for Peter.

When you get the Shardblade issue sorted, would you mind posting here and telling us who all ends up with a Shardblade? I'm writing the Shardblade article right now, and I want to be certain that I list everyone with a Shardblade. Thanks!

Guest AmruthS

There were 4 plates, 2 blades and 2 hammers involved on the losing side, not sure if all were put on the line but if so then the statment of 3 plates and 2 blades should of been 4 and 2 making the math correct

The 4 Shardbearers had borrowed Kings Plate and Blade. So, Its 3 Plates and 2 Blades is correct. (emphasis mine)

He recognized Relis from his Plate and Blade, colored completely a deep black, breakaway cloak bearing his father’s glyphpair. The man in King’s Plate—judging by his height and the way he walked—would indeed be Elit, Relis’s cousin, returned for a rematch. He carried an enormous hammer, rather than a Blade. The two moved across the field carefully, and their two companions took the flanks. One in orange, the other in green.

Adolin recognized the Plate. That would be Abrobadar, a full Shardbearer from Aladar’s camp and . . . and Jakamav, bearing the King’s Blade that Relis had borrowed.
-- Chapter 56: Whitespine Uncaged, WoR

Possible typo:

Page 185 of US hardback, Rysn Interlude:

"...they could still sell what they had--but at a stiff devastating loss..."

Should "stiff" and "devastating" be crammed together like that? Or was it meant to be only one of them, or perhaps a comma between?

Dont know if anyone found this one yet, but page 822 in the Hard cover edition, end of the fourth paragraph.  It is in chapter 69 just after Kaladin and Shallan meet in the chasms.  

She had no idea how she'd saved herself, let alone him.  Pattern rode on her skirts, and before she'd found the bridgeman, he'd been speculating that the Stormlight had kept her alive.

I think the "he'd" is supposed to be a "she'd" because Shallan does not know that Kaladin can use Stormlight.  

Edited by lordofsoup

This has a high chance of being intentional, but it stuck out to me as odd so I'm posting as a potential typo:

I paid a lot of attention to the curses people used through the book. With Vorin speakers, each herald seems to be associated with a given body part: Ash's eyes, Ishar's soul, etc. Twice someone swears with "Nalan's hand." In another place, the phrase is "Talat's hand." (I believe it's on pg 632, Shallan speaking right before she hides inside the boulder illusion.)

Talat is not a herald name as far as I can tell. It is close to Tanat, but not quite.

It is likely that this is just something that doesn't fit the rules I'm trying to impose on the world. She could be swearing by a non-herald, or Talat could be a herald name. And maybe heralds share swear-associations in Vorin culture. "Nalan's hand" is used by Kaladin and by Adolin, so maybe the Talat vs Nalan difference is regional between Jah Keved and Alethkar. (The other curses seem consistent across all Vorin speakers).

Anyway, wanted to point it out just in case.

Chapter 11, page 141 (according to my kindle), Shallan comments that she has no infused spheres so they are useless unless she finds civilization. Then she goes to Shadesmar and has to jump out after the unsuccessful argument with the stick because her Stormlight runs out. Where did this Stormlight come from? It can't be too old or she would have breathed it all out.

Chapter 11, page 141 (according to my kindle), Shallan comments that she has no infused spheres so they are useless unless she finds civilization. Then she goes to Shadesmar and has to jump out after the unsuccessful argument with the stick because her Stormlight runs out. Where did this Stormlight come from? It can't be too old or she would have breathed it all out.

She finds some infused spheres in Jasnah's waterproof chest.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but who operates the Oathgate in the last chapter? Dalinar sees a group of people coming through the portal as he's about to speak with the Stormfather, but a few minutes later he goes down and sees Shallan and Kaladin idling in the conference room thing at the top of the tower. The very -high- tower. Who else could have operated the gate?

I jumped into this thread to mention this too, I think it would be a good one to get a clarification on.

One way for it to work is if Kaladin or Shalan gave Syl or Pattern to someone else to operate the gate...

Chapter 70, page 831 6th paragraph down.

she'd never have been able to keep up with Kaladin's longlegs

. I presume Kal's not a spider and there should be a space there :).

Also chapter 28, page 338, first line.

Th'information'll cost ya twelve broams," Shallan said.

there's no open quote at the beginning of the line.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Possibly an error, rather than a typo (thanks RShara):

As she reached the exit, she noticed another light approaching out on the balcony. Just before she arrived, someone stepped up to the doorway, holding aloft a garnet lantern.
“Kabsal?” Shallan asked, surprised to see his youthful face, painted blue by the light.

Like the grand cavern outside, this hallway was cut from the rock, but it was more richly furbished, with ornate hanging chandeliers made with Stormlit gemstones. Most were deep violet garnets, which were among the less valuable stones.

Garnet is supposed to be reddish, according to the Surgebinding chart and the color of the hardcover.

These descriptions seem incorrect.

Edited by Moogle

Possibly an error, rather than a typo (thanks RShara):

Garnet is supposed to be reddish, according to the Surgebinding chart and the color of the hardcover.

These descriptions seem incorrect.

The Lighweavers' garnet is red, but generally speaking garnets can be many other colors: purple, green, blue, yellow, pink, etc. I think at one point a garnetmark was called firemark, so it's kind of odd to have a non-red(orange) garnet. But I'd it's not a mistake, just that different colors garnets are used in spheres with red being the prevalent, thus the alias.