Typos in WoR (Spoilers ahead)

harry31j97

I don't want to be a mood-spoiler on this glorious day when I started reading WoR, but here's I'm going to make a list of typos as I go on reading each chapter. Here's the 1st I found in chapter 5.

The crier, at the start of chapter says the proclamation - 'Toward' victory and, at long last, vengeance, but when she reads it again on Kal's command, she reads it as - 'On' victory.... I realise this may not be a typos in case she's not really reading the proclamation but reciting them from memory, but still... I'll be adding more as (and if) I find any more while reading.

I'm'a pin this. I love the crowdsourcing of typo detection in Brandon's books.

I haven't found any typos yet, though. As a reminder, typo reports should specify the page number (or location if reading the ebook) and, if possible, the paragraph number as counted from the top of the page.

A possible one that's limited to the Nook version.  Someone else has stated that the line doesn't cut off suddenly in the Kindle version.  It's from the chapter header of chapter 86 -

"One is almost certainly a traitor to the oth-

- From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Desk Drawer: paragraph 27"

Um, that's weird. Does it still do that in the Nook version if you change the font size?

No.  Additionally, after reading your question, I experimented and noticed that rotating the page ninety degrees fixes it.

Very odd.

Based on my experiments, I've got the following -

I'm using an iPad, with the Nook software installed.  The font is set to the default (third option from the left), and I've been reading it in a two-page format (i.e. long side of the tablet at the top and bottom of the screen).  Two of the other font settings involve line breaks in the middle of words for that sentence, but the sentence continues on the next line.  There's only an issue when the word "others" is split in two.

Edit - I tried one more experiment.  I rotated my iPad so that text was displayed in single page format, and bumped the Font up to the second largest.  This caused the word "other" to get split once again...  and once again the post-break letters of the word were lost.

Edited by junior

General Kha's son was wearing his shardplate so this could be a reference to him?

Except that the reference was in a leadership position so it really looks like it should be the General.  If this is legitimate, this is really confusing writing.  You have three different people with somewhat similar names.

Captain Khal is General Khal's son. And "causal betrothal" is correct.

That hyphenation error seems to be a Nook error. I looked in the ebook and there is definitely nothing strange there. It's a perfectly normal paragraph. I recommend you report it to the Nook people and give them all the evidence.

From Merriam-Webster

caus·aladjective \ˈk-zəl\

: relating to or showing the cause of something

: making something happen : causing something

So that second definition could make sense...as in, an agreement to create(cause) a betrothal.  Too much of a stretch?

I don't want to be a mood-spoiler on this glorious day when I started reading WoR, but here's I'm going to make a list of typos as I go on reading each chapter. Here's the 1st I found in chapter 5.

The crier, at the start of chapter says the proclamation - 'Toward' victory and, at long last, vengeance, but when she reads it again on Kal's command, she reads it as - 'On' victory.... I realise this may not be a typos in case she's not really reading the proclamation but reciting them from memory, but still... I'll be adding more as (and if) I find any more while reading.

I looked into it and this is definitely an error due to something in the revision process. So I'll get it fixed at least in the ebook.

Also I verified that weird Nook "oth-" bug on my iPad. That is super funky. I've asked Tor to submit their own bug report to Barnes & Noble, because there's no reason it should be doing that.

By the way, here are the other errors I already know about. Nearly all of these have been fixed in the ebook already. Some of them were already fixed in the UK hardcover.

Page 4, page 8

Isaác is supposed to have an accent only the first time on page 8, as a joke.

Page 19 paragraph 10

Current:

her mother Navani could not

Replacement:

her mother, Navani, could not

Page 25 paragraph 15

Current:

even if meant returning to the feast.

Replacement:

even if it meant returning to the feast.

Page 36 paragraph 6

Current:

I’m going get a glimpse of

Replacement:

I’m going to get a glimpse of

chapter5.html (ebook-only error)

Current:

“Though the Storm-father knows,

Replacement:

“Though the Stormfather knows,

Page 99 paragraph 5

Current:

and work up.”

Replacement:

and work up to him.”

Page 142 paragraph 10

Current:

this little strand of trees.

Replacement:

this little stand of trees.

page 147 paragraph 10

Current:

but the the sleeve was

Replacement:

but the sleeve was

Page 650 paragraph 4

Current:

operating a table, blood everywhere.

Replacement:

operating table, blood everywhere.

Page 690 paragraph 16

Current:

Gawk slunk around the corner.

Replacement:

Gawx slunk around the corner.

Page 767 paragraph 13

Current:

how the madman had acted to her Lightweaving

Replacement:

how the madman had reacted to her Lightweaving

Page 827

(The US hardcover has the wrong version of this image.)

Page 1058 paragraph 1

Current:

lantern for her that was extravagant, considering

Replacement:

lantern for her—that was extravagant, considering

I looked into it and this is definitely an error due to something in the revision process. So I'll get it fixed at least in the ebook.

Also I verified that weird Nook "oth-" bug on my iPad. That is super funky. I've asked Tor to submit their own bug report to Barnes & Noble, because there's no reason it should be doing that.

By the way, here are the other errors I already know about. Nearly all of these have been fixed in the ebook already. Some of them were already fixed in the UK hardcover.

Page 4, page 8

Isaác is supposed to have an accent only the first time on page 8, as a joke.

Page 19 paragraph 10

Current:

her mother Navani could not

Replacement:

her mother, Navani, could not

Page 25 paragraph 15

Current:

even if meant returning to the feast.

Replacement:

even if it meant returning to the feast.

Page 36 paragraph 6

Current:

I’m going get a glimpse of

Replacement:

I’m going to get a glimpse of

chapter5.html (ebook-only error)

Current:

“Though the Storm-father knows,

Replacement:

“Though the Stormfather knows,

Page 99 paragraph 5

Current:

and work up.”

Replacement:

and work up to him.”

Page 142 paragraph 10

Current:

this little strand of trees.

Replacement:

this little stand of trees.

page 147 paragraph 10

Current:

but the the sleeve was

Replacement:

but the sleeve was

Page 650 paragraph 4

Current:

operating a table, blood everywhere.

Replacement:

operating table, blood everywhere.

Page 690 paragraph 16

Current:

Gawk slunk around the corner.

Replacement:

Gawx slunk around the corner.

Page 767 paragraph 13

Current:

how the madman had acted to her Lightweaving

Replacement:

how the madman had reacted to her Lightweaving

Page 827

Page 1058 paragraph 1

Current:

lantern for her that was extravagant, considering

Replacement:

lantern for her—that was extravagant, considering

What's wrong with the hardcover image on 827?  Is it just the lack of a border/spiral binding?

Also, it took until I started the audiobook to notice it wasn't a "Casual"  My brain just aligned the letters for me...

Edited by Aminar

Also in chapter 75 (ebook), Pattern says,'.....' then 'the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded'. This sentence feels just wrong. English is not my primary language so I could be wrong, but I think it should be majority not majorities, then there was no need to use several after using majority, no need to use spren people, just spren would have been enough, and then if it is used at all, 'people' not 'peoples'.

Edited by harry31j97

Also in chapter 75 (ebook), Pattern says,'.....' then 'the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded'. This sentence feels just wrong. English is not my primary language so I could be wrong, but I think it should be majority not majorities, then there was no need to use several after using majority, no need to use spren people, just spren would have been enough, and then if it is used at all, 'people' not 'peoples'.

"Peoples" is the correct word if you are referring to more than one group of people, like here, where he's talking about (presumably) honorspren, Cryptics, highspren, Wyndle-spren, etc. And I think "majorities" is also correct, to imply that it's a majority of each of the separate groups rather than all the members of most of the groups. Hope this makes sense. :)

Page 827

What's wrong with the hardcover image on 827?  Is it just the lack of a border/spiral binding?

Compare it to the one here.

Probably doesn't affect me since I have the ebook...but I'm curious, which picture is this discussion about?  Page numbers are not helping me figure it out. >.>