[OB] Kaladin The Landowner

Kered

I just finished the part in my re-read where Dalinar gifts Kaladin his own land, land that has towns in it. I haven't seen this discussed, so how do you guys think this is going to play out? I think it would make for a nice side arc in book 4 and 5 with Kaladin setting up his land and trying to protect his people. I assume he will also relocate Hearthstone to his lands and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Roshone. 

I think it'll also be interesting to see how the land will look when book 6 comes out after a in-world time jump of 10-15 year. See how he's developed the land and how his people think of him. Highprince Kaladin anyone?

Some random and wildly speculative ideas on what can happen with the land:

• Kaladin leaves the day to day operations to his parents, a step forward in equality between light eyes and dark eyes. 
  • Kaladin swearing the 4th Ideal in order to protect the people of the land. 
  • Get's turned into a backup HQ for the Windrunners. 
  • Kaladin is given leave to move the village of Hearthstone to his know lands, but he can't force anyone. His parents and brother go, but Laral and Roshone stay behind. 
  • Kaladin get's tips on how run his land from Highprince Adolin, resulting in expected and enjoyable banter. 
  • Odium gives up on trying to make Dalinar his champion. Instead he focuses on Kaladin and uses his land and people to manipulate him. 
  • Kaladin gives his lands to Adolin and the Kholin princedom. 

And last, but not least, Kaladin realizing that he'd make a right spiffy Highprince, uses his land to politically and militarily maneuver House Sadeas and take over his princedom. 

Edited by Kered

That part made me laugh actually, there we have Dalinar offering the soon to become second most powerful man on Roshar a strip of land with 6 villages on it ...

I'm really waiting to see how the power dynamic in Urithiru will turn out when Kal grows into his new role as more and more squires attract their spren and earn their shards.

That aside i doubt Dalinar's gift will be relevant anytime soon, that land is probably in Voidbringer territory by now, even if it's not i don't see Kal focusing on it just because Dalinar decided it belonged to him now, he has bigger concerns.

It was also funny because Kaladin treated it as a "eye-roll" moment, asking Dalinar why him.

The most likely thing I think will happen his Kaladin moving his family and loved ones there and being it's personal protector, leaving the day to day duties to his parents. 

Something that I think would be REALLY cool (And this isn't my idea), but what if Kaladin replaced Amaram as Higprince???

It makes sense seeing as Kaladin basically killed him (Except for Rock's finishing blow) and it's where his parents/bro are, and he's super important and trusted by Dalinar/Jasnah

I'm just gonna preface this post by saying I hate the idea of Kaladin as Odium's Champion. Doing that goes against literally everything he stands for, and I would be very pissed if Brandon did that. 

Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to see how Kaladin would react if he became Highprince Sadeas. It'd probably just add unnecessary drama though. Plus, it would've been done right after the Thaylen City battle, so we wouldn't even really get to see the conflict of him accepting the title as Sadeas because of the one year skip between OB and book 4.

8 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

. Plus, it would've been done right after the Thaylen City battle, so we wouldn't even really get to see the conflict of him accepting the title as Sadeas because of the one year skip between OB and book 4.

Don't be so sure- a year long succession crisis in House Sadeas leading to all the cadet branches being seen as unworthy and uncivilised would definitely mean that even the most socially entrenched Alethi nobles would agree the new Highprince mustn't be a Sadeas opening doors for Kaladin.

8 minutes ago, MadhavDeval said:

Don't be so sure- a year long succession crisis in House Sadeas leading to all the cadet branches being seen as unworthy and uncivilised would definitely mean that even the most socially entrenched Alethi nobles would agree the new Highprince mustn't be a Sadeas opening doors for Kaladin.

Oh, okay. I see what you're describing. I thought we were saying Kaladin would take over a second Sadeas right after the Thaylen City battle. Yeah, if it's a year later and Kal has to take over the title as Sadeas Highprince because they're being stupid, yeah, that would work. I actually really like that idea now. 

Kaladin taking charge of Sadeas' army, as either High Prince or just their commander would be a great story line For book 4. There was a brief reference to how Sadeas kept his army structured through competition, and that they were falling apart without him. Then at the end of the battle some fled with the army but some were dazed and defeated. I love the idea of this group, who had once despised Kaladin and his bridge crew, train under him and learn to follow him.

In oathbringer this is almost a throw away line, but I feel that Kaladin getting this land has to have an impact for Kaladin's story arc. In my opinion it would make for a more interesting story if Kaladin gets Amaram's territory including Hearthstone rather than some random villages. 

12 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'm just gonna preface this post by saying I hate the idea of Kaladin as Odium's Champion. Doing that goes against literally everything he stands for, and I would be very pissed if Brandon did that. 

Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to see how Kaladin would react if he became Highprince Sadeas. It'd probably just add unnecessary drama though. Plus, it would've been done right after the Thaylen City battle, so we wouldn't even really get to see the conflict of him accepting the title as Sadeas because of the one year skip between OB and book 4.

I don't think he will. I just think that Odium has already made the agreement. He has to pick a champion. If he thinks Dalinar is a lost cause, he may try and manipulate one of the other KR. But I don't think it likely. He spent years trying to corrupt and mold Dalinar, and Odium also had the advantage that for most of his life, Dalinar had no idea of Odium's existence. With all the KR aware of Odium and his scheme's, I don't think Odium will try one of the main characters. 

However, there is still a decent possibility that Odium will still try to blackmail and manipulate the characters. Kaladin needs to protect people. Odium threatening the people of Kaladin's land as well as his family seems like a somewhat obvious move if you want to get at Kaladin. 

19 hours ago, Darvys said:

a strip of land with 6 villages on it ...

Something I have been wondering about this - Would it be behind enemy lines at this point? We know the Voidbringers had occupied all of Northern Alethkar at this point, but the furthest south that we ever get any location information about their operations was Kholinar itself, and we here nothing about any concrete locations south of the Sunmaker mountains.

11 minutes ago, Heir of the Void said:

Something I have been wondering about this - Would it be behind enemy lines at this point? We know the Voidbringers had occupied all of Northern Alethkar at this point, but the furthest south that we ever get any location information about their operations was Kholinar itself, and we here nothing about any concrete locations south of the Sunmaker mountains.

Well the Voidbringers will want any available strip of farmable land and human slaves to work them, we know from OB that they conquered other cities on their way to Kholinar, would make sense if the parshmen coming from the warcamps in the plains and the southern princedoms did the same in the south, there's nothing to stop them.

While small towns like Hearthstone weren't worth their time in the first push toward Kholinar, i expect they'll start expanding their occupation from the cities they hold now that there are no armies coming any time soon. I wonder if we'll see a massive exodus toward the warcamps or if the humans down south will also just submit to the new rule, 

6 minutes ago, Darvys said:

there's nothing to stop them.

Except the Alethi armies everyone and their dog axehound is apparently running around with. We know they were fighting in the north, but got pushed back into Herdaz, and we also know Kaladin saw cities still in human hands in the south. But I could see the territory of Free Alethkar being anything from the southern coastline to most of the Deathbend Basin. 

It did seem to have taken them months before they organized enough to occupy significant territory, and Kholinar was probably taken more easily than it should have been given its various severe issues. 

Then again, Dalinar didn't bother to try sending an expeditionary force from the Vedenar oathgate, so it probably isn't that bad.

17 minutes ago, Heir of the Void said:

But I could see the territory of Free Alethkar being anything from the southern coastline to most of the Deathbend Basin.

It could be, but to remain free Dalinar would need to commit troups and Radiants to protecting an isolated piece of land with no real value and too far from the Oathgates, i have trouble seeing that happening. I also don't think the Voidbringers would ignore a weak southern Alethkar to go push into the contested territories.

The safe bet is that by the next book the country will have been fully occupied and the Alethi will be supporting Herdaz and pushing into the Sadeas lands, opening the way for our proto-Highprince to spearhead the liberation efforts (once the Windrunners work out their moral dilemma anyway).

37 minutes ago, Darvys said:

It could be, but to remain free Dalinar would need to commit troups and Radiants to protecting an isolated piece of land with no real value and too far from the Oathgates, i have trouble seeing that happening. I also don't think the Voidbringers would ignore a weak southern Alethkar to go push into the contested territories.

The safe bet is that by the next book the country will have been fully occupied and the Alethi will be supporting Herdaz and pushing into the Sadeas lands, opening the way for our proto-Highprince to spearhead the liberation efforts (once the Windrunners work out their moral dilemma anyway).

I agree. I think the Voidbringers now realize fully that they have the numbers and positioning advantage. Other then them sending Fused to attempt to infiltrate Oathgates as the Kaladin and the others did in OB, I see the Voidies pressing the advantage and consolidating their power. 

I think the most interesting plot line that Kaladin’s new holdings would be Kaladin using it to create a land where listeners unaffiliated with Odium and humans live side by side.

Such a society, and the alternative it offers of breaking the Singers away from Odium, is the most likely path to true victory for the Good Guys that I can see.

Edited by Sparks

On 25-12-2017 at 5:38 AM, Blazenella said:

Something that I think would be REALLY cool (And this isn't my idea), but what if Kaladin replaced Amaram as Higprince???

It makes sense seeing as Kaladin basically killed him (Except for Rock's finishing blow) and it's where his parents/bro are, and he's super important and trusted by Dalinar/Jasnah

I had that idea a while ago as well:

• Chaos locked this topic