WoR Chapter 84 code

Satsuoni

And yet you consider a nonprefix code which is an order of magnitude harder than prefix one XD

The answer to that is quite simple: I don't know how to work a prefix code, so I tried substitution which looked feasible enough.

Assign a key to a number and there you go. Unfortunately it turns out to be more complicated...

The problem is that it's just numbers and we don't know how they split up and what they relate to. That's why I made the assumption they must be related to the only other paragraph from the Book of the Second Ceiling Rotation. I did some research on the net with ciphers when I started looking at it, and most of those don't seem to use numbers. They use letter for letter substitution. Or recursive algorithms using strings against other strings. Yes, ultimately the strings may be ASCII or other binary representations with XORs and other mathematical operations, but that's not exactly what we're dealing with here.

There's been some really clever and interesting speculations on this thread!

:)

Ok, I am trying to decode the first 60 symbols for now, so that my program would run faster. As mentioned, it splits string semi-randomly into prefix codes, assign letters to codes and try to solve substitution using tWoK as a pattern for letters and words.

It is still probably futile.

This is what it came with for now:

acheandirtseabethadneangullowaed

ringhasnyothermenowahauldicres

shinetomeaaspacksteasedullfrsat

And other like it :(

Incidentally, can any people in this thread run Python scripts? If so, I may consider releasing randomized version of script for others to play with.

Edited by Satsuoni

I could probably read it. I wrote a simple piece of a Perl hack code to break up the numbers in pairs and index into paragraph 15. The interesting thing was that arrays are zero based, so I put a dummy character in position 0 to offset the string so 01 would index into the first letter. I'll try the different number splits that have been posted a bit later.

I wish there were some hints about what epigraphs are important. Maybe someone can ask a Brandon for hints at a signing. I'm going to one this weekend, and I certainly intend to!

Asking him would be nice :) Maybe we can at least narrow down the type, and eliminate possibility of transposition, etc ...

As for the frankenscript: reading it is less important than having the ability to run it... Not all people can use Python and commandline.

A ciphertext attack without knowing the encryption algorithm and key. That's what we are doing.

Mapping into epigraphs could mean a mapping to letters or even to words. Stays the problem of splitting our 154

digits.

So, I've got some real work to do, I'll be back in the evening.

Perhaps someone finds out which algorithm has been used, at least ;-)

Asking him would be nice :) Maybe we can at least narrow down the type, and eliminate possibility of transposition, etc ...

As for the frankenscript: reading it is less important than having the ability to run it... Not all people can use Python and commandline.

At the moment I don't know how to run the script, but I can learn - what do I need?

I was wondering how the code would look in translations of WoR (e.g German)...

Edited by Pattern

At the moment I don't know how to run the script, but I can learn - what do I need?

I was wondering how the code would look in translations of WoR (e.g German)...

The script doesn't seem to use any advanced libraries, so a barebones installation of Python 2.7.6 and some knowledge of command line...

Ok, what kind of things do you want it to ba able to do? Randomly split the code and give a decoding? Be able to fix some codes? Or just as is (which is probably very confusing)?

Fascinating watching you guys work on this. Have you considered that perhaps the message you're trying to decode isn't one message but two? The two translated sections:

AhbuttheywereleftbehindItisobviousfromthenatureofthebondButwherewherewhereSetoffObviousRealizationlikeapricity

TheyarewiththeShinWemustfindoneCanwemaketouseaTruthlessCanwecraftaweapon

and

TherehastobeananswerWhatistheanswerStopTheParshendiOneofthemYestheyarethemissingpiecePushfortheAlethito

destroythemoutrightbeforethisoneobtainstheirpowerItwillformabridge

are both translated from "Floorboard 17: paragraph 2" but the first one used "every second letter starting with the first" and the second uses "every second letter starting with the second".

Do we first need to split the 4 line decimal code into two separate messages before you start trying to match letters to codes? I'm going to continue having a play, I've not done any cryptography before but will see if I can spot anything regardless.

EDIT:

Using RegEx I found that would give us our messages as so:

every second letter starting with the first:

every second letter starting with the second:

This assumes that letters are made up of number pairs. I didn't edit our the 111s you were talking about. Here is the site I use to quickly try regex replaces, I've saved my search in that link:

http://regexr.com?38ec3

EDIT 2: Just seen you mentioned this in post #26 Pattern. I think you're on to something. Definitely.

Edited by Fabrial

Here's a slightly cleaned up version of what I had. OSX or Linux already have Perl. You can download Strawberry Perl for a PC. I couldn't upload it as code1.pl, so I renamed it code1.txt. You can run "perl code1.txt". Or rename it to code1.pl on a pc and run code1.pl. For unix flavors, you have to change permissions on the file after you've copied it - "chmod 755 code1.pl".

code1.txt

Fascinating watching you guys work on this. Have you considered that perhaps the message you're trying to decode isn't one message but two? The two translated sections:

and

are both translated from "Floorboard 17: paragraph 2" but the first one used "every second letter starting with the first" and the second uses "every second letter starting with the second".

Do we first need to split the 4 line decimal code into two separate messages before you start trying to match letters to codes? I'm going to continue having a play, I've not done any cryptography before but will see if I can spot anything regardless.

EDIT:

Using RegEx I found that would give us our messages as so:

every second letter starting with the first:

every second letter starting with the second:

This assumes that letters are made up of number pairs. I didn't edit our the 111s you were talking about. Here is the site I use to quickly try regex replaces, I've saved my search in that link:

http://regexr.com?38ec3

EDIT 2: Just seen you mentioned this in post #26 Pattern. I think you're on to something. Definitely.

I don't think there are enough numbers for this, unfortunatley. Nor do I think splitting it straiht at pairs of 2 works.

We don't know that this is as long as the other two. It can't be...

Okay how about this....

Assuming that the two parts of Floorboard 17 paragraph 2 were found by splitting the letters then decoding, we know that before they were decoded, the length of the two paragraph two pieces in decimal format were the same. Right?

However, after they were decoded, the lengths are different. Does this confirm that there are stop or start bits for sentences or capitalisation? Because:

Every second letter, starting with first.

AhbuttheywereleftbehindItisobviousfromthenatureofthebondButwherewherewhereSetoffObviousRealizationlikeapricityTheyarewiththeShinWemustfindoneCanwemaketouseaTruthlessCanwecraftaweapon

Total characters: 183

Capitals: 12

Every second letter, starting with the second.

TherehastobeananswerWhatistheanswerStopTheParshendiOneofthemYestheyarethemissingpiecePushfortheAlethitodestroythemoutrightbeforethisoneobtainstheirpowerItwillformabridge

Characters: 170

Capitals: 10

Edited by Fabrial

I find the number of occurences of 1's and 5's next to eachother disconcerting since it's the 15th pattern, wondering if there might be something to that, but then the patterns might not really be sequential and so could just be randomly named. Rrrg, time to study up on cryptography.

I find the number of occurences of 1's and 5's next to eachother disconcerting since it's the 15th pattern, wondering if there might be something to that, but then the patterns might not really be sequential and so could just be randomly named. Rrrg, time to study up on cryptography.

That means it's probably a vowel. Vowels show up quite a bit more than Consonants.

Someone just message me when you smart people figure this out, lol.

Aha! I got it! The cipher is actually a syllabic code derived from Elantrian Aons!  If you split the number into triads, and assume that Aon Aon is already drawn, then the three numbers in the triad tell you how to add additional lines, starting in the upper left and working clockwise. Primes are straight lines, and nonprimes are curves. Then you mirror that shape along the diagonal axis (which makes sense, since Rosharians have such a thing for symmatry), and you wind up shapes that match the known Aons. Each Aon stands for a syllable, and if you write down the sequence and sound it out phonetically, you get:

BesuretodrinkyourOvaltine!

1287666826226.png

At least you still have humour... :D

Considering Floorboard 17: I don't think we can deduce anything from it - the shorter message could be cut, only gibberish after the readable

stuff, etc. Perhaps Capitals can be used as a key to 2nd Ceiling rotation, Pattern 15.

So far we have seen every second letter starting from the first, and every second letter starting from the second…..has anyone tried every second letter starting from the third?

Edited by b4dave

The script doesn't seem to use any advanced libraries, so a barebones installation of Python 2.7.6 and some knowledge of command line...

Ok, what kind of things do you want it to ba able to do? Randomly split the code and give a decoding? Be able to fix some codes? Or just as is (which is probably very confusing)?

Just as is could be ok - since I don't know what it does. A short instruction would be nice.

Otherwise I ran out of ideas.

Helpful would be, if we could guess some pieces of plaintext. Therefore, what has been written about in all epigraphs and what is still missing? I don't beliebe, the code is just a repetition of the other stuff. Keywords could be tried to decipher the code.

So far we have seen every second letter starting from the first, and every second letter starting from the second…..has anyone tried every third letter starting from the second?

The problem we have is to split the code into coded letters (btw, could also be syllables). This is possible in many ways and each possibility has to be decoded. But - feel free and give it a try ;-)

Edited by FeatherWriter
Please don't double post!