WoR Chapter 84 code

Satsuoni

I actually tried indexing Pattern 1, but I did it by word and not letter and it went nowhere. (I thought it suspicious that Pattern 1 had clear spaces between words, and also that it had the word "sit"; I figured it used that word due to having limited vocabulary. So I imagined it being a circle of glyph words on the ceiling, and numbers saying which to combine into sentences.)

I can't explain why I never thought of indexing the letters. I never would have figured out that the code starts 11 1 8 25 though. I always thought that had to be an 18. And then the palindromes! I guess Shallan was right talking to Kasbal, that palindromes aren't necessarily evidence of anything. :P

If anyone wants to see how the numbers break down, and why it was so tricky, I made this following Darmad's solution:

11h 1o 8l 25d 10t 11h 12e 7s 12e 49c 15r 12e 10t 10t 11h 14a 10t 2b 15r 1o 171k 12e 10t 11h 12e 171k 34n 4i 83g 11h 10t 7s 15r 14a 25d 4i 14a 34n 10t 9y 1o 6u 149m 14a 9y 34n 12e 12e 25d 4i 10t 10t 1o 25d 12e 7s 10t 15r 1o 9y 10t 11h 12e 34n 12e 55w 1o 15r 25d 12e 15r 7s 55w 11h 12e 34n 10t 11h 12e 9y 15r 12e 10t 6u 15r 34n

And the key itself:

1 o

2 b

4 i

6 u

7 s

8 l

9 y

10 t

11 h

12 e

14 a

15 r

25 d

34 n

49 c

55 w

83 g

149 m

171 k

(I'm not sure if these breakdowns are posted anywhere else, but I can't find them in this thread anyway.)

Dang, well that's ominous. I know no one's probably checking this thread anymore after it's been solved, but I did want to clear something up:

Ellie's notes were about Renarin, however she would not classify herself as having Asperger's, just ASD. I actually let her know on skype that this was going on and she asked me to pass along a message about it.

(And she's right. I'd be more than happy to pass along any messages.)

Thank you Featherwriter for expanding on that! When I responded like I did, I was thinking about a post I had read of yours but I wasn't able to capture the gist of it. And thank you Elise for being so open about all this ! I hope I didn't offend with my previous post.

Thank you Featherwriter for expanding on that! When I responded like I did, I was thinking about a post I had read of yours but I wasn't able to capture the gist of it. And thank you Elise for being so open about all this ! I hope I didn't offend with my previous post.

You're fine! It was a simple misunderstanding and she was more than happy to clear it up! I know I never shut up about Ellie but I just can't help it! She's so wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm comfortable giving him Hari Seldon level abilities to predict the future using probabilities (many of the things he says already sound similar to Seldon predictions), but not fourth wall breaching. I can't imagine Brandon writing him addressing anything out of universe, let alone revealing acknowledgement that he's a character written in a book.

Upvote for being the only hit on Hari Seldon in the forums... :)

Seldon is exactly how I imagine Taravangian on his genius day.

• 2 years later...

Imagination, talent, confidence and experience combined brought us the Diagram and codes like this. I personally hope for this to become a running gag/theme of each book, give us more puzzles!

Um, cool. Just found this thread and am always super impressed by the level of intrigue and richness of depth Sanderson puts in his works. Looking forward to more ARGs like this in future books.

It wasn't an ARG, just a cool puzzle that took people a little while to figure out. Similar to, though different from, "The Thing" with the map of Roshar. ARGs are much more involved and involve not only multiple puzzles, but multiple pieces of media.

Deciphering the Unified Theory of Realmatic Investiture, something that most of this site is often dedicated to, is far more of an ARG xD

It wasn't an ARG, just a cool puzzle that took people a little while to figure out. Similar to, though different from, "The Thing" with the map of Roshar. ARGs are much more involved and involve not only multiple puzzles, but multiple pieces of media.

Deciphering the Unified Theory of Realmatic Investiture, something that most of this site is often dedicated to, is far more of an ARG xD

By the way, what is "The Thing"? Has it been discovered?

By the way, what is "The Thing"? Has it been discovered?

"The Thing" turned out to be the fact that Roshar's map was generated from a specific mathematical equation, a Julia Set, I believe. Too lazy to search this forum for the post. Basically, the map is a two dimensional shadow of a three dimensional representation of a four dimensional object. People explain it better in the discovery thread :P Someone there posted the equation that generates Roshar along with the exact number of iterations Roshar's specific shape requires.

If I remember correctly, the fact that Roshar's map was generated that way indicates that the entire landmass, all the land on Roshar, was created by layers and layers of crem dropped by highstorms. Because it's a natural process, it follows nature's rules, and thus fractals. Or something. I only skimmed the maths and geology stuff.

EDIT: And if you're unfamiliar with Julia Sets, check out the song "Mandelbrot Set" by Jonathon Coulton. [ Link ] The set described in the song is actually a Julia Set, not a Mandelbrot Set, despite the song's title and lyrics. They're easy to get confused, apparently. But, the description of the actual set is right on point for a Julia Set. (That song is even more factually wrong these days since Benoit Mandelbrot passed away a few years back and is no longer teaching math at Yale.)

"Just take a point called Z in the complex plane

Let Z1 be Z squared plus C

And Z2 is Z1 squared plus C

And Z3 is Z2 squared plus C and so on

If the series of Zs will always stay

Close to Z and never trend away

That point is in the Mandelbrot [Julia] Set"

(To change those lyrics to actually describe a Mandelbrot set, I believe you just replace all instances of C with Z)

Edited by Nyali

• 2 years later...
On 3/12/2014 at 10:36 AM, Ryshadium said:

Yes, that part I understand.  I was referring to the secret referred to in the message itself. 

Spoiler

Could it be that humans are the voidbringers?

They came from another world, using powers that we have been forbidden to touch. Dangerous powers, of spren and Surges. They destroyed their lands and have come to us begging.

• Chaos locked this topic