WoR Chapter 84 code

Satsuoni

I've been trying to do that since I'm hopeless at cracking codes. Thusfar, I have that " the knights radiant are the key" and that Mr T wrote near his bedstead in hieroglyphics.

I'm trying to determine whether the code as is would be solvable by in world characters or if there is a 4th wall break, thus using page numbers or other clues outside the story itself. I assume the former, personally.

I've been trying to do that since I'm hopeless at cracking codes. Thusfar, I have that " the knights radiant are the key" and that Mr T wrote near his bedstead in hieroglyphics.

I'm trying to determine whether the code as is would be solvable by in world characters or if there is a 4th wall break, thus using page numbers or other clues outside the story itself. I assume the former, personally.

I doubt it'll break the 4th wall. Even the use of English in the Alethi Script notations has been officially handwaved as something along the lines of "the translators wanting to preserve the essence of the script for you English readers".

I'm gonna go through every Taravangian scene in both books for starters.

Then if nothing pops, I'll go through the epigraphs in both books again.

I'll also look for a particular action of his that would be hidden in the code; such as a list of the people he had Szeth kill.

I doubt it too, it doesn't seem to be Brandon's style.

For kicks, I searched "key" in WoK, and other than the innumerable hits on the word darkeye, there's a reference to Vedeledev's golden keys, and Navani being thrilled that Dalinar's gibberish is the key to the Dawnchant.

You could be right, but we can't be sure since he hasn't thrown out codes at us before (at least not in the Mistborn trilogy, which is what I've read). From those books I feel that there would be some small seemingly insignificant detail hidden somewhere that would unravel the code.

Adding to the list above, I'm also gonna look into the chapter title images. I haven't paid any attention to them yet.

Use Harakeke splitting:

10-11-12  repeating 4 times

10-10-12 repeating 1 time

I think a difference of one letter between the words 11 to 10

151-2-10-10-11-14-10-2-151 pallindrome word with the same letters as the above in the middle but 14 instead of 12 means one letter different.

151-9-10-11-12-34-12-55-11-52-51-21-57-55-11-12-34-10-11-12-9-151

2-3 letters repeating on the start and end. after that 3 letters from 10-11-12 on both sides.

after that it repeats palindrome than switching letters and the middle unknown for now.

So what we need:

one 3 letters word that repeat inside a Palindrome with 1 letter difference. from 101112 to 101114 it's more likely that the letter is +2 in place from each other on the letters table (14-12=2)

we need to search a word that is not fully palindrome just the 3 or 4 letters in the end and beginning.(it must be a big word)

and one big half palindrome that have 2-3 repeating letters in the start and end than contain the letters of 101112 on both sides than 34-12 on one side and 12-34

In coding: find all words (tokenizer and words bigger than 4) with letters at index 0 and 1 the same as length and length-1. print all of them.

compare by eye(or code as well) the middle letters about the switching letters(such as 34-12 and 12-34) and find the pattern 101112

I hope It helps. sorry English is not my 1st language :)

Edited by shinintendo

Well, I am still disturbed about the fact that the code could be much easier broken, if it would have been given to us in Vorin numerals, the numerals probably used in the diagram. They would yield a unique parsing.

So the hint "The key is in the book" does not neccessarily point to WoR, though it's probable.

For all you new to the thread: Here is a summary of what has been done until page 15 of the thread.

Now the thread is exploding and today I have no time for another summary. So if someone else wants to summarize

from page 16 to 20, I would appreciae it a lot ;-)

Edited by Pattern

Too many people for me to keep track of...

For what it is worth (nothing, I guess :) ) here are the results of the parses I wrote that tried to incrementally fit words from WoR to code.

It never got to the end of string, as far as I can tell, so it is rather useless, but it tried a lot of possible splittings

rlog_full.txt

Edited by Satsuoni

Too many people for me to keep track of...

For what it is worth (nothing, I guess :) ) here are the results of the parses I wrote that tried to incrementally fit words from WoR to code.

It never got to the end of string, as far as I can tell, so it is rather useless, but it tried a lot of possible splittings

I shall use this as evidence to support my earlier Aon-based theory! ;-)

Edited by Harakeke

You know, he never did specify *which* book, did he...?

This could all be some grand Librarian conspiracy! ^_^

You think he might have left a clue in a book in a physical location, not that the clue is printed in every book? Part of the shard hunt?

Okay, so something that stood out to me is that a couple of times in the book, the words "The key is the knights radiant" came up. In one of the epigraphs, it mentions that "They will come you cannot stop their oaths look for those who survive when they should not that pattern will be your clue." 

Also, when Shallan is trying to unlock the portal, she also mentioned that the key was the knights radiant. Thus, I decided I would try to see if I could find a place within the code that the words "The knights radiant" would appear. Based on that assumption, I assumed the following. 

10=t

11=h

12=e

14=a

15=r

7=s

25=d

34=n

h18dthese49retthat215hsh2

the171n483htsrad4ant 916a9a9need4tte5est

r19thene55h5ders55henthesr

et615n

The place that seemed to best fit "The knights radiant" was in the middle of the section. 

The thing that makes it a little complicated is that I can't figure out how "i" would fit in. In order for it to work out, 483 would somehow have to represent "ig", while 4 would need to represent "i". 

I'm not sure if I'm splitting the numbers at the correct locations. I have a rough rule that I'm toying with is that numbers 1-3 mean that it is a double digit number, any number that is 5 and above is a single digit number. But I can't quite make it work throughout the entire diagram. If you follow that rule in splitting the numbers, it would look like this. 

(The only place that I can't make this theory work is in the three highlighted locations)

11 18 25 10 11 12 7 12 4 9 15 12 10 10 11 14 10 21 5 11 7 11 2

10 11 12 171 34 4 8 3 11 10 7 15 14 25 4 14 34 10 9 16 14 9 14 9 34 12 12 25 4 10 10 12 5 12 7 10 15 19 10 11 12 34 12 5 5 11 5 25 12 15 7 5 5 11 12 34 10 11 12 9 15 12 10 6 15 34  

In any case, even if my theory is totally wrong, I tend to think that 10 11 12 is definitely "the". What do you guys think? 

Edited by zebobes

Code has been cracked. Do not read this if you want to solve it yourself.

Like several others, I am a long time lurker who was inspired by the work going on here.

I can't help thinking that the key is Pattern 1.  Has anyone tried using Pattern 1 as the key and deciphered Pattern 15 as a substitution code? I haven't seen that suggested, so I'm going to try it.

Love the great teamwork here.

Edited by Darmad

Like several others, I am a long time lurker who was inspired by the work going on here.

I can't help thinking that the key is Pattern 1.  Has anyone tried using Pattern 1 as the key and deciphered Pattern 15 as a substitution code? I haven't seen that suggested, so I'm going to try it.

Love the great teamwork here.

Several of us thought to go that route. Except, how would you go about it?

As to the chapter 88 epigraph:

"1173090605 1173090801 1173090901 1173091001 1173091004 1173100105 1173100205 1173100401 1173100603 1173100804"

-North Wall Coda, Windowsill region Paragraph 2

"(This appears to be a sequence of dates, but their relevance is as yet unknown.)"

If they are dates, one of them coincides with one of the Death Rattles from WoK epigraphs:

Ch. 68:

“They named it the Final Desolation, but they lied. Our gods lied. Oh, how they lied. The Everstorm comes. I hear its whispers, see its stormwall, know its heart.”

Tanatanes 1173 (1173090901), 8 seconds pre-death. An Azish itinerant worker. Sample of particular note.

Also, all of the "dates" occour about a year before the events of WoR, which may rule out reading the future, depending on when The Diagram was made.

See, my problem with that is that solving the riddle is supposed to give some new and worthwhile information (paraphrasing Peter's words), not a translation of an already readable paragraph. Maybe your method will lead you somewhere, but I personally doubt it =\

One thing I believe everyone is missing out on is that Floorboard 17 is an interweaving of two other epigraphs.

The original paragraph is AThhbeur...<etc>. It's gibberish until you take every second letter.

It is possible that we're being tripped by Chapter 84's epigraph because we're trying to analyze it as if it is one message. What if it's two instead?

111825101112712491512101011141021511 711210111217134483111071514254143 410916149149341212254101012512710 151910111234125511525121575511123410 1112915121061534 —From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Ceiling Rotation: pattern 15

We could split this into two:

Message 1: 1121...

Message 2: 1850...

Or, if it is as people suspect and it's split into pairs of numbers representing characters, then we could split it that way.

Ok Im not sure if some of this has already been hashed out but I think we have to figure something out here. From the above post from moogle I saw something that bothered me. We were looking at the interweaving of the messages and we saw that there was gibberish untill you took every second letter. But if you look at what is written in the two epigraphs there are two things that dont make sense.

One: Mr.T was able to have and write two thoughts at once, and trying to cram as much information into a small space as possible. Therefore he wrote two messages together and left out punctuation and the like. But if that is the case why are there capital letters still. My first thought was that they are there to dillinate the different sentences, but if you look at:

AhbuttheywereleftbehindItisobvious fromthenatureofthebondButwhere wherewherewhereSetoffObvious RealizationlikeapricityTheyarewiththe ShinWemustfindoneCanwemaketousea TruthlessCanwecraftaweapon —From the Diagram, Floorboard 17: paragraph 2, every second letter starting with the first (emphasis mine)

You can see that the capitals dont always signify that, If the capitalization is not for signifying different sentences what does it mean ?

Second. They say that the two messages are pulled from every other letter starting with the first or second, but if you try to put the two messages back together you will find that this epigraph :

AhbuttheywereleftbehindItisobvious fromthenatureofthebondButwhere wherewherewhereSetoffObvious RealizationlikeapricityTheyarewiththe ShinWemustfindoneCanwemaketousea TruthlessCanwecraftaweapon —From the Diagram, Floorboard 17: paragraph 2, every second letter starting with the first 

Is about 19 letters longer than the other it was meshed with. This leads me to one of two conclusions, that in the original script the two messages were within one character of script of each other, or we are missing something. The second conclusion I have come too is that if this is indeed translated from the original that did line up correctly can we use that information to look at the parsing of the code ??

Also if you rehash the messages and then take the capital letters in order you get:

ATWISTPOBYSOPRATSWCTTC

could this be the key? The floor boards are underneath the ceiling, and if he could have two thoughts at once why not 3 ?

Thoughts guys, or have I rehashed some stuff i missed in the twenty pages of this thread :P

EDIT:fixed spelling and bolding

Edited by PunSpren

I haven't been keeping up with how far along you guys have gotten on the code but this was from the signing event last night if it helps:

Q: In the chapter 84 code, does the sequence 111 denote a special character such as a space between words

A: I do not believe there is a 111 to separate words unless it was added by Peter when I wasn't looking.

-- Is this a question from the 17th Shard? Yes --

I will say this, the key is in another epigraph.

Is it possible that the difference in letter numbers is attributed to a language difference between English and Alethi? Alethi has a shorter alphabet, I believe.

As I am new here, in these sorts of endeavors does Peter ever come in to tell us if we're close or completely off, or does he just sit back and laugh maniacally whilst we act like the 10 Fools? ;) 

I haven't been keeping up with how far along you guys have gotten on the code but this was from the signing event last night if it helps:

Q: In the chapter 84 code, does the sequence 111 denote a special character such as a space between words

A: I do not believe there is a 111 to separate words unless it was added by Peter when I wasn't looking.

Excellent! That is exceedingly helpful!

Maybe it is a xor (or any modulo) code, then? You take one epigraph, xor it with this and et voila - other text emerges! Then again, amybe not. But this *is* helpful.

Finally a real clue! I suspected this for a long time, but a confirmation feels wonderful.

@PunSpren, those could actually be sentences. I imagine tha Taravangian, feeling frantic, was not concerned with sentence structure and explaining his thoughts much - so what we see in those two paragraphs is closer to his train of thought than any real sentence you would hear in a conversation. So it would be more like "Set off. Obvious! Realization like apracity."

Now, time to go look into that pesky Pattern 1...