What was the name of the religion the lord ruler started

Zape

3 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

It was short for Lord’s House.And it can also be a synonym for religion. I’m not entirely certain what you’re asking.

He's trying to draw the distinction between "Lord" the title, and "Lord" the name. Since people only know him as the Lord Ruler, Lord may as well be his first name. It's a meaningless distinction, but that's par for the course on this site.

9 hours ago, Zape said:

tl;dr its the name of the religion of the lord ruler

Reread the quote. Conventical is the type of building. Conventical substitutes for Church in the sentence, not the religion. The religion name remains the same. Nonexistent in this case, since Seran is the location.

Lockhart Baptist Church     would become     Lockhart Baptist Conventical.
Church of Seran,     Conventical of Seran.

So @Belzedar, while his followup statement was incorrect, his logic was sound. Conventical would stand in for the word "Church," so it is less likely that the common people would know the latter term.

Just now, Aurora the Rioter said:

I’m not sure if we have a name for the religion, but I plan to reread book one soon, so if I see anything I’ll let you know.

i dont think you'l find anything but i appreciate it.

someone needs to ask brandon about this

1 hour ago, Zape said:

doesn't that mean that we don't actually know what the religion is called ?

We don't know if it had a name, much less what that name may have been.

When it's the only religion in existence, it doesn't need a name. When it's the only war going on, we just call it "the war." Or your local city hall. It's the only one in the city, so you can just say "city hall," rather than Austin City Hall(or some other city.) Conversely, Luthadel is only called Luthadel, rather than "the Capitol" because there aren't other nations to have capitols for comparison.

These specific quantifiers aren't necessary, so we don't use them. They might still exist, or they might not.(Wars usually get named afterwards, for instance)

4 hours ago, Zape said:

it has to have a name because it wasn't always the only religion so at least in the early days they must have had some name for it to not confuse it with the other religions

It really doesn't. 

We have no idea when the "religion" started. Even if it had been right at the very beginning, he attempted to utterly destroy every other system of belief. Period. There's no room for confusion between the living death God that slaughters everyone, and the other beliefs that he will literally kill you for. 

On 12/28/2017 at 1:54 AM, Zape said:

the people of triss still must have had a name for it
The people that rasheq and sazed belonged to how are they spelt ?

Oh the Terris. (his name is Rashek, with a "k", for future reference)

I... suppose they could have had a name for TLR's Religion. The Kandra wouldn't have, since they weren't the most aware of the outside world. The remaining Terris people may have, but I don't think they did. I vaguely remember something about the Keepers disapproving of Sazed's fascination with the Steel Ministry as a religion.

If I remember right, then the only one who would have spent the effort to name the religion something would have been Sazed, meaning it'd be in the Words of Founding. In said Words of Founding, he only calls it "the imperial religion, with its obligators."

The obligators are part of the religion. The obligators are part of the Steel Ministry. Logically, the religion = the Steel Ministry, which appears to be backed up by WoB.

Brandon Sanderson
Another big change was renaming the Lord Ruler's priests. Originally, they were called just that–priests. And, the Steel Ministry was the Steel Priesthood. I made the change to Steel Ministry and obligators because I didn't want the religion and government in the Final Empire to feel so stereotypical. This was a world where the priests were more spies and bureaucrats than they were true priests–and I wanted the names to reflect that.

On 12/28/2017 at 4:43 AM, Zape said:

The kandra did not

The Kandra still had the Terris religion, but the remaining Terris people didn't know that, so they did lose their religion.

8 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I... suppose they could have had a name for TLR's Religion. The Kandra wouldn't have, since they weren't the most aware of the outside world

the first generation must have been atleast semi aware of the outside world for the first few years if only to gather the second generation

also thanks for the correction 

Edited by Zape

15 hours ago, Zape said:

the first generation must have been at least semi aware of the outside world for the first few years if only to gather the second generation

New generations come every hundred years. Although, the First Contract may be where the cutoff from the outside world started. If that were the case, then your "first few years" is probably still accurate.

Which takes us to the argument of when his religion started. It has to be within the first two centuries, since that's our earliest reference to his suppression campaigns, but that's still a large timeframe that could preclude the Kandra knowing about it. We just don't have enough details to place when these things happened.

• Chaos locked this topic