[OB] Do you think Jasnah likes Kaladin?

The Night Watcher

@Argel @Calderis

I agree with both of you. 

I can see it going either way. I tend to lean towards Jasnah being either homosexual or asexual, though, so I prefer the scenario where she stays single. I could see her have a consort and child simply for the practicality side of it. 

I could also see Jasnah being heterosexual or bisexual, and her avoidance of marriage has nothing to do with her sexuality. I think this one works just as well, and she could easily fall in love with someone in this scenario and have a kid with them while also seeing the practical necessity of doing so. 

In addition, I could see Jasnah just keeping Gavinor as her heir. She’s politically savvy enough that she should be able to protect herself from posible threats relating to/from Gavinor. This would remove the need for her to produce a child, but doesn’t preclude her from getting involved in a romantic relationship. 

As for Jasnah/Kaladin...I could see it, but I’d personally prefer them to both stay single. Seeing Kaladin grow and mature to the point that he could keep a romantic relationship wouldn’t be a bad read, I just wouldn’t like it as much. As for Jasnah, i just really like the idea that she’s asexual or aromantic. 

15 hours ago, Vissy said:

I'd prefer to eventually see Jasnah in a relationship, if only because it would be cute.

Eh, I guess. I just don’t think that’s a good reason, honestly. Also, I just really want Jasnah to remain single because I like the idea of her being asexual so much lol

I also headcanon Jasnah as asexual and probably aromantic.

I can see Jasnah and Kaladin having a mutually respectful relationship, but I don't think they'll be romantically/sexually involved.  I also can't really see Kaladin going along with a political marriage on paper.

7 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I also can't really see Kaladin going along with a political marriage on paper.

Windrunners traits are Leading and Protecting, so deciding to step into a greater leadership role will be part of how he needs to grow. This will not happen instantly. 

17 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I just don’t see why. I can get the Shallan x Kaladin, because they have had romantic interactions. But Jasnah and Kaladin are incredibly different people, with an age gap, and differing worldviews. Respect I can see, but I don’t see why there would be a romantic relationship. 

Yep, couldn't agree more. I think they will have a respectful relationship and Jasnah may even promote Kaladin to the Highprince of the Sadeas princedom. After all, leadership is the second core tenant of the wind runners and Kaladin could better protect those he cares about from a position of power.

I just don't see anything romantic happening between them and I don't think Kaladin could be in a relationship with anyone until he forgives himself which is probably a big part of his fourth oath progression. I think we are going to see Kaladin and Tarah reunite next book and this combined with the Lirin wisdom bombs will set him down the right path.

I feel like part of the reason Kaladin places duty above love is because he feels like he doesn't deserve love for failing to save Tien. Some say that the scars on his head are unhealed because he still sees himself as a slave, although I believe the scars are more to do with his failure to protect his men. I've seen some people here say that Kaladin and Jasnah don't need a relationship and while I agree with this point on Jasnah I couldn't disagree more in regards to Kaladin.

Personally, I still feel like Kaladin and Shallan will end up together. I know it's a contentious opinion around here and if anyone wants me to give my reasoning just ask.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:56 AM, ZenBossanova said:

If it is a political marriage, then it doesn't necessarily mean that romance will be involved at all. 

True, I just don't see the need for a political marriage. I wouldn't but upset, per say, if it did happen (I'm sure Brandon could make it work), but I don't expect or want it to happen either.

On 6/24/2018 at 7:48 AM, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Personally, I still feel like Kaladin and Shallan will end up together. I know it's a contentious opinion around here and if anyone wants me to give my reasoning just ask.

I would like to know your reasoning. :)

I think Jasnah might not be heterosexual. I like seeing her single and I think she likes being single.

Kaladin is definitely heterosexual and I think he will definitely end up in a relationship. I think it would be good for him. Syl is my reason for thinking this.

I am not sure if Kaladin likes Jasnah (romantically or not) but I do think Jasnah likes Kaladin (not romantically).  

On 12/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, Naurock said:

No, because Jasnah doesn't suffer people she sees as acting foolish. When it comes to protecting people Kaladin is an idealist, Jasnah is a realist. 

Reading this post made me realize I'm shipping Nale and Jasnah. JasNale.

What have we done!? 

On 6/25/2018 at 5:09 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

What have we done!? 

I was mostly joking when I said this. I know, it comes through perfectly in text form what with my tone and inflection permeating the text.

But let's face it, we all know Nale would stare in horror at her soulcasting a group of bandits without filling out the proper paperwork.

I just don't believe Jasnah is looking for a relationship and she has long since known a world ending cataclysm is coming. Her work of research and attempting to stop it is too busy to be interrupted by silly things like courtship. She has a family and throne to protect.

At this point it's not so much that Jasnah is actively looking for a mate or romantic entanglement. It's more that she can no longer ignore convention like she did when she was just a princess and not in line for any type of throne. If she had married, whatever bloke captured the brass ring would have used her position to gain political power and a favorable ear to the king, meanwhile restricting her choices and providing an obstacle to her persuing her studies. Even if that's not what would have happened, she would believe it so based on observations of her parents. Now however she must think dynastically. She must secure her rule. The fastest and most efficient way to do so is to marry someone, make him Prince Consort and pop out a babe or 2. There are other ways to secure her rule and she very well may explore them but there's a war on. There may not be time to come up with an unorthodox solution, one that will keep the jackals at bay and the knives off her back.

Having Kaladin play the role of Prince Consort is probably the very best option out there. He's the leader of the new power in the land, he has the respect of Dalinar and his cohort, he's handsome and fierce and quite unlikely to either betray her or restrict her dwindling freedom. My issues with the union aren't with Jasnah but with Kaladin. Jasnah has been immersed in politics since birth; she learned the moves at her mother's breast. She has the temperment to make a pragmatic decision such as marrying someone for dynastic reasons instead of romantic ones. But Kaladin is a passionate, impulsive dude. It's difficult for me to picture him marrying anyone for convenience or political necessity. We've seen him struggle with difficult choices and politically he can be maneuvered. To fulfill the role he needs coaching. To have the marriage fit his Oaths he must at least like her. Jasnah may like Kaladin a little bit and the potential for friendship is there from her end. But are the feelings mutual? We don't know; Kaladin was pretty fixed on Jasnah's ward until pretty much the end of OB. And romantic feelings or not, Jasnah will turn Kaladin into a glass statue if she thinks Kaladin has wandering eyes.

At any rate Kaladin has his pick of the litter if he ever takes a second to put down the Sylspear and look. At this point he might as well be Dalinar's middle child, a landowner in his own right, and has a seat at the table on Roshar's most important councils. Jasnah is certainly attractive, but will Kaladin prefer someone closer to his own age? 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:09 PM, Naurock said:

I was mostly joking when I said this. I know, it comes through perfectly in text form what with my tone and inflection permeating the text.

But let's face it, we all know Nale would stare in horror at her soulcasting a group of bandits without filling out the proper paperwork.

I just don't believe Jasnah is looking for a relationship and she has long since known a world ending cataclysm is coming. Her work of research and attempting to stop it is too busy to be interrupted by silly things like courtship. She has a family and throne to protect.

I was primarily joking as well, so we're good.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, Aurora the Rioter said:

Okay, I’m glad you specified not romantically, because I don’t think Jasnah likes anyone that way, but we’ll see maybe someone will come along she’ll fall in love with, but she won’t want to.  (Although if I’m honest I kinda ship Jasnah and Kaladin.)

I think Jasnah is Gay! She is an avid scholar and doesn’t respect anything but knowledge. So I could see her and Khriss getting involved with each other: they would always have something to talk about ! How many of y’all would get behind Krisnah!!!

I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think Jasnah is gay, I think she's just had some things happen to her when she was younger (implied around the encounter with Amaram during OB) and as a result, she's been turned off to romance / marriage / relationships / emotional attachment ever since. I don't think it's impossible to see her re-evaluate these things given the right situation and the right person.

I do agree with what some other folks have said about Kaladin though - while he definitely finds Jasnah attractive physically (noted in OB), if things played out where Jasnah wanted a political marriage with Kaladin, I'm not sure he'd go along with it, and I'd be glad that he didn't. I wouldn't want to see him enter into something like that if it's just cold and calculated only. It'll be interesting to see where things go, but I think Jasnah / Kaladin would be a fun relationship to read the development of from both of their POV, especially if it turned romantic.

Edited by Razrback16
clarification

7 hours ago, Razrback16 said:

I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think Jasnah is gay, I think she's just had some things happen to her when she was younger (implied around the encounter with Amaram during OB) and as a result, she's been turned off to romance / marriage / relationships / emotional attachment ever since. I don't think it's impossible to see her re-evaluate these things given the right situation and the right person.

I do agree with what some other folks have said about Kaladin though - while he definitely finds Jasnah attractive physically (noted in OB), if things played out where Jasnah wanted a political marriage with Kaladin, I'm not sure he'd go along with it, and I'd be glad that he didn't. I wouldn't want to see him enter into something like that if it's just cold and calculated only. It'll be interesting to see where things go, but I think Jasnah / Kaladin would be a fun relationship to read the development of from both of their POV, especially if it turned romantic.

Good viewpoint . Something happened to her. She casually uses assasins. Maybe she was raped and hired assassins to kill them all.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:24 PM, Bigmikey357 said:

Can someone sling me an excerpt? I don't remember Kaladin having any reflections on Jasnah's attractiveness in the narrative. I could have missed it.

Sure no problem - Page 609 hardcover (Chapter 61) -

"Shallan breathed out again, and the king was transfigured into a tall, stately Alethi woman with features reminiscent of Jasnah's. Kaladin nodded appreciatively. "

At first I thought well maybe he's just appreciating Shallan's skill with lightweaving. But then I thought, Sanderson could just as easily have written "stately Alethi woman" without comparing her to Jasnah, and also without following that up by noting Kaladin's positive response to such, or simply being more specific to note his appreciation for Shallan's abilities if that's what he was being appreciative of. It was just one of those things that got me going "hmm....".

Given how Shallan describes Jasnah during the series - it sounds like she's an outright gorgeous woman; not surprising given who her mom is, so it's fairly likely that just about every straight dude on Roshar would be attracted to Jasnah on the physical level - it was just noteworthy to me when reading the book that Sanderson felt the need to actually note it directly in the story that Jasnah's attractive appearance had not escaped Kaladin's notice.

As an aside, the physical attractiveness part isn't unexpected to me at all - if they were to ever try to get together, it would be the meshing of the personalities that would be the challenging part (not to mention the immensely enjoyable part of reading such encounters). Jasnah is beautiful, and it sounds like Kaladin is attractive to women in a rough sort of way - given his history, he has scars, is somewhat unkempt a good bit of the time as he's just a rough dude that's had a soldier's life mixed with time as a slave, but has qualities that someone like Jasnah (and Shallan, obviously) would appreciate and be able to see when looking past the rough exterior - his charisma as a leader is matched only by his sense of honor and honesty and a lack of hesitation or fear to confront anyone directly regardless of their title / position. Certainly my favorite character to read in the series.