Is there another Shard on Roshar?

Jarod

Potential Oathbringer Spoilers 

So this is very much a guess, and I doubt it's true. But could there be another Shardholder on Roshar, influencing Dalinar?

We know he's had visions that do not have to do with Honor's influence. We know that whatever Dalinar became, Odium was certainly surprised by it. And at the end of Oathbringer, he saw a light that Navani couldn't. 

If this is true, could there be a sort of Enigma or Mystery Shard attempting to work against Odium? One whose influence is far more sublte than Honor or Odium? Maybe a Shard that held such secrets and power that Odium teamed up with another Shard (hence "we killed you"), to attempt to Splinter. Maybe he was talking to this specific Shard when Dalinar declared "I am Unity". 

Once again I doubt this is true. My current belief is that some form of Adonalsium is influencing Dalinar, especially with the "Unite Them" repetition for him. But what do you guys think?

This is a fair thought that I've had before but unfortunately Brandon seems to have been quite decisive about this

Questioner

When it comes to the epic-level spren on Roshar, like the Nightwatcher and the Stormfather-- Is the number of epic-level spren equal to the number of Bondsmiths that you can have on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm, is the number of epic-level spren related to the number of Bondsmiths you have? Well, I've said there's a maximum of three. And there arethree Shards involved in Roshar. I'm not gonna tell you if that's a coincidence or not. Sorry

Source

Chaos (paraphrased)

How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Three.

Source

OB spoilers.

Spoiler

One of the most prevailing theories explaining Dalinar's interaction with the force that caused his dreams at the end of WoR and in OB is that Dalinar is sensing a shard or god-like being in the Spiritual Realm. Some think it's another shard, some think it's a remanent of Adonalsium. What gives some credence to the idea that Dalinar is sensing and interacting with a god is him stating in OB "I have sensed something, not the Almighty, something beyond"(not exact wording).   

5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Why search for a potential fourth Shard when the third could work just fine?

Odium's had his fingers in a lot of things over the millennia, and I highly doubt that Cultivation hasn't done the same.

Yeah, we know for sure Dalinar interacted directly with the Old Magic that is deeply Influenced by Cultivation.

Before to try to find out of world actors, we Need to considerate the local ones

Much more, OB spoiler:

Spoiler

Cultivation directly and explicity removed Dalinar's memories to trigger the whole man we know and remove Odium's Champion in the right moment, predicting that Odium will undo her Cognitive manipulation for his purpose.

We saw her to craft a pawn able to blend others Shards' actions (Lift).

The vision at the end of WoR could be send by Odium himself, a setup to make Dalinar more incline to listen him and his "I am not only hate" .

By the way the "we killed you" line, could be a reference to Adonalsium.

"We" (Rayse and the other Vessels) killed "you" (Adonalsium) if Dalinar is Indeed Channeling something beyond the Shards

• Chaos locked this topic