[OB] Reference to the Fused in Arcanum Unbound

Necessary Eagle

I was rereading AU today, and I noticed this little gem in Khriss's essay:

Furthest out of the three [planets] is Braize, which despite being cold and inhospitable is to men is home to an an ecosystem of self-aware Splinters. (The local parlance would call them spren). I believe it's possible some of these are actually Cognitive Shadows, but research here is difficult and dangerous, so I will hold back on theorizing for the moment.

When AU first came out, I probably thought it was a reference to the Heralds. But with Oathbringer's hindsight, it makes much more sense that it's talking about the Fused. Always cool to find the hints that Brandon drops.

ETA: Although without a host, I guess they wouldn't technically be Fused yet.

Edited by Necessary Eagle

I hadn't made that connection there. It definitely makes sense. 

4 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

When AU first came out, I probably thought it was a reference to the Heralds. But with Oathbringer's hindsight, it makes much more sense that it's talking about the Fused. Always cool to find the hints that Brandon drops.

I don't see why it can't be referring to both. The Heralds are also Cognitive Shadows, they just get physical bodies through a different method. 

11 minutes ago, Carbonationspren said:

I don't see why it can't be referring to both. The Heralds are also Cognitive Shadows, they just get physical bodies through a different method.

It can be both, but there's only ten Heralds on Braize at most, and they're prisoners. I figured the (un)Fused are the ones numerous enough for Khriss to have heard rumors of.

• Chaos locked this topic