Chromium/Nicrocil and Other Magics

Aon Ati

I have been wondering for a while what kind of effect Allomantic Chromium and Nicrocil would have on other forms of Investiture. I have found on the Coppermind that if a Leecher is touching a shardbearer and they burn their metal, then the shardbearer can't summon his or her shardblade. So these metals can work on other magics but now I want to know more. Is there any information out their that I missed, or theories that I can read? Thanks.

I asked Brandon this a couple years ago vis a vis a Leecher versus Breath and got RAFO'd. But since then we got the BoM broadsheet which, taken more or less at face value, implies that A-Chromium definitely works on some other forms of Investiture. Not that we know exactly how Nazh's 'Shadegun' works of course.

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Chromium is to other people what Aluminum is to yourself.

Aluminum works on everything, everywhere in the Cosmere. It stands to reason that Chromium should too.

Do we have some statement about those and Breath? Because yesterday I was arguing on the matter and everyone were aganist me in that

12 hours ago, Yata said:

Do we have some statement about those and Breath? Because yesterday I was arguing on the matter and everyone were aganist me in that

There's this:

Questioner

If an Allomancer found themselves on Nalthis or Roshar, would they be able to use chromium on someone using Stormlight or Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

I am staying away from answering too many questions like that until I start having it happen. But do know that the magics interact... some ways they interact very naturally, some ways, they don’t. One way I’ve released is, you could use bronze on most forms of Investiture to find it. So you can extrapolate that some of these things would work. But not necessarily all. All of them could be made to work.

It's that final sentence that's making me think so, but I'm not sure what sort of hack would be required.

13 hours ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Well if you had a way to tap nicrocil with surging could you substitute it for stormlight? Or what about breaths?

Have this:

Question

Could Feruchemical Nicrosil be used to store other invested abilities, such as a Returned breath or the abilities of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's possible

If a Chromium can stop a shardblade from being summoned, then I really want a scene in a future book where the shardholder tries to summon their blade and starts to freak out when nothing happens. Depending on the situation this could be a really humorous scene or make all the readers shake with worry for the character.

11 hours ago, Aon Ati said:

If a Chromium can stop a shardblade from being summoned, then I really want a scene in a future book where the shardholder tries to summon their blade and starts to freak out when nothing happens. Depending on the situation this could be a really humorous scene or make all the readers shake with worry for the character.

Well it isn't something that could really happen.
Chromium burns fast and the Leecher need to keep the contact with the Shardbearer AND burning Chromium to stop the summon. It's already an impratical and unlikely scenario and it mostly will stop the shardbearer for some seconds no more

2 minutes ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Because in bands of mourning th cube did not touch wax and if you had a trap set up with enough ettmetal it could be a serious ambush 

The Cube touched Wax, It was launched aganist him for that specific purpose

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that Nicrosil could store stormlight. It stores Innate Investiture(The ability to bind surges, the ability to burn metals) rather then Kinetic Investiture(The manipulation of gravity, the effect of pushing a metal), and as far as I can tell, Stormlight is definitely Kinetic Investiture.

On 27/12/2017 at 10:04 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Then it’s way more useful, since it will probably drain any nearby spheres too.

It's a bit weird but probably spheres Will be' untouched. They are quite High Invested and they resist a bit Chromium.

Chromium burns also quite fast to probably the...Leecher Pulse will not be' able to affect them too much, as It not drain Wax's Metalminds (as far as I could remember)

14 hours ago, .50 Caliber Gentleman said:

I doubt that Nicrosil could store stormlight. It stores Innate Investiture(The ability to bind surges, the ability to burn metals) rather then Kinetic Investiture(The manipulation of gravity, the effect of pushing a metal), and as far as I can tell, Stormlight is definitely Kinetic Investiture.

shoeties

Since Stormlight and Breath are both investiture, would it be possible to use Nightblood with the former rather than the latter? Would it be possible to store Stormlight in metal using Feruchemy?

Brandon Sanderson

Mixing the magics is possible, but some are easier and more natural than other. Feeding Stormlight to Nightblood is easy. Storing stormlight in metal is tough.

Source.

• Chaos locked this topic