ArmyOfHelium

I recently fell under a misconception. I was told that there was a running RP on the 17th Shard. I, unfortunately, mistook the statement as meaning there was a standardized RPG game complete with GMs and a running community. I was corrected and ended up in a very long conversation with a friend of mine about what would be required for an adequate, or preferably amazing, RPG. So, I have created this thread with the hope of finding how many people would enjoy such a game. Current plans:

• In-depth (and specialized) character sheets that gauge state of mind, how broken the character is, (snapping, insanity, Etc.) and how aligned they are with their ideals and goals. 
  • Online compatibility. (You do not need to be in the same room to play)
  • Worldhoppers that appear randomly through quests and scenarios.
  • Pros and cons to each magic system.
  • Scenarios that adhere to canon.
  • Artwork.
  • And as much extra as we can churn out together.

What we will need:

• Interest; we can't make this unless people actually want to play. Please contact me or simply post here with ideas, questions, suggestions, and anything else related.
  • Game-Masters; People who are quick-witted and enjoy messing with people will probably enjoy this position in the game. You do not need to only GM the games, but having people willing to would be greatly appreciated.
  • Fan-art; The game can still function without art, but where is the fun in that?

Feel free to contact me (Discord: ArmyOfHellium) or @Vashakh Sadeas (Discord by same name).

Thank you very much, and we will enjoy any interest or worries expressed.

Edit:

We now have a Discord channel for the yet unnamed Cosmere RPG is up and running: https://discord.gg/qfCHEFf

Edited by ArmyOfHelium

In terms of what the game looks like, I'm picturing 2 different things, The first is something along the lines of SE, where there is the forum, and a list of all the adventures that are going on. All of the adventures are largely separate from one another, and are run by different GM's. The thing that ties them together is the character sheets and some characters (worldhoppers) that jump between games.

The other Idea was similar to the general open role play started a while back by The Village Idiot. One thread that has a single adventure running. 

If the first version happens, how many of the mechanics should be similar between the games, how much freedom do the GM's have, do they only provide plot and move the story forward, or can they introduce new roles and different mechanics.

On a slightly different subject, I think that one thing that we will have difficulty deciding is how you advance in skill. I think that as the game progresses, you should be able to become a more skilled mistborn, a more knowledgeable elantrian or forger. How can we make that consistent so that a being a mistborn, for example, isn't completely broken because you can quickly rise through the ranks while becoming a much better knight radiant could take a lot longer? Also how do we determine what the max powers of a mistborn vs knight radiant are? 

Edited by MacThorstenson

Hate to double-post, but I don't know if y'all would see this if it was just an edit, so my apologies.

ArmyOfHelium has created a Discord server for this, and we need to know your discord tags so we can invite you. Alternatively, you can send me a friend request and I can invite from there. Or whatever works, I'm kind of new to Discord, so if you have another way feel free to tell me.

I think there should be some calculations done for coefficients in Charges (If we're using Investiture Charges like I think the MAG uses; I haven't played it so I'm just gathering from context) and usage for different uses of Investiture.

Investiture should correspond, usually, with 1 Charge = some amount of work (Mass x Distance). Depending on how heavy Innate Investiture is in the character, there will be a constant that either multiplies or adds to the amount of work that can be done with one Charge. Many Investing techniques, like Soothing, Rioting, Tin,  and others could be seen to perform an amount of work--but not nearly as much as something like Pewter or Lashings would do with the same amount of Investiture. Thus, I propose a classification of different Investing types:

Matter Displacement and Force

This includes Gravitation Lashings, Pewter (A) sometimes, Iron and Steel (A and F, but not super clear on Iron), Sand Mastery, Full Lashings, Steel (F), Brass (F), Pewter (F), Abrasion, Lightweaving, etc.

These Investiture uses perform a pretty measurable amount of work. Making a coefficient of Investiture Charges per Action (ICpA) should be pretty easy, or at least straightforward.

I'm putting Abrasion in here because it would be easier to calculate as having an equal magnitude to the usual friction force on an Abrasive (no better term than that) object. It's obviously not propelling you forward, at the same force as your kinetic friction, but it's close enough. Static friction is negated. Also, Lightweaving produces a measurable amount of light (I think), and seems to use Stormlight slowly, thus possibly matching a real correlation between Investiture and work.

Manipulating People or Stuff Without Clearly Doing Work

This includes Cohesion, Tension, Tin, Bronze and Zinc, Atium, Progression, Cadmium, Pewter (A) sometimes, Brass (A), Division, Awakening (depends a lot on ability, I may reclassify this as a Matter Displacement and Force), Soulcasting, Heightenings, Bendalloy, Aluminum, Duralumin, Nicrosil, Chromium, etc.

These Investiture uses are difficult to measure as producers of work. Most coefficients of ICpA will be arbitrary, or based on the books. A couple Feruchemy Investiture uses can be easily measured, but not as producers of work; rather, as storers of definable units of breath (Cadmium (F)).

I'm pretty sure that these categories should be the place to start when defining stats in Investiture uses. What do you think?

This would actually be amazing. I would be happy to GM, as well as contribute to art, which I'm not half bad at.

I have an idea that might be cool. It's obviously run by one or more GM's at a time, so what if the GM's acted as Shards and might be in conflict, trying to aid or destroy one side or another (Within a certain limitation) like how Ruin was able to communicate with insane people or spiked people.

• 1 month later...

So, we have been talking a lot about this in the discord, I wanted to update you guys though. So the game is a hybrid of storytelling and gameplay, meaning that it will be played as a game, but the story side of everything will heavily impact the gameplay. (explaining using a different die roll for something like opening a door, or becoming a KR [something banned as a backstory]) Having more than one GM has been discussed, and it hasn't been totally ruled out yet, but, the main direction of the game veers away from having the GMs as Shards. While we will try to follow current lore, certain parts of it will need to be guesswork, and other parts will be left up to the GM. We have yet to hit a portion of the game that required major guesswork. (Thank Endowment for WoBs) If you have certain portions of the game that you feel need to go a certain way please feel free to give suggestions or be active in the Discord. Hope to see you soon :D

Ok so just wondering, but how are you going to do this? I've played different RPG's and all of them usually require meeting at someone house, careful planning, and a lot of time. Would you plan certain times for gameplay? Also, what would the main mechanisms (Dice rolling, Storytelling, Points System, etc...) of the game be? Also, I didn't read everything in this post, so if the questions been answered already, just refer me to that. 

Edited by NickPlum

We’re planning the mechanisms right now. We don’t know how we’re going to play it (I assume a Discord channel, or maybe a thread here) but that’s far off in the future.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...