2017-12-21 Barnes & Noble, Orem, UT

Mason Wheeler

I was there early (with Hot Chocolate)  (hello @OrangeJedi — nice of you to play the Kaladin soundtrack while we were waiting in line) to get a wristband. They were only giving one wristband per person but then when I left they were handing out more if you wanted. At 10am they were on wristband 100. 

Signing is from 6-9. 

There will not be a presentation. The manager I spoke with at the store said that they didn’t have a microphone / karaoke machine to broadcast a reading and that Brandon’s publisher said he was worn out after his European tour and was only doing this because he likes that store and the fans here and wanted to maintain those good relationships. 

They had almost every Brandon Sanderson book. Most they had in both Hardcover and paperback. Most were full price though. If you have a Barnes & Noble membership you got 20% off the books. You can share a phone number for a membership if you know someone who has one. Memberships are $25 a year. I’ll include a photo of some of their books. There were 3 different Sanderson sections that i saw. They didn’t have White Sand, and Emperors Soul was only in paperback.  They had all Mistborn & Stormlight in hardcovers. As well as War Breaker, Arcanum Unbounded, and the cute Edgedancer. Oathbringer Hardcover was the only one discounted. 

They said that you can get as many books signed as you want.  But only one book (plus any you buy from their store ) personalized. 

When you come in the store they will put a special removable sticker on the books you bring in so they don’t try to charge you for them when you leave the store. If you have a number higher than 100 you may want to come after 7:00 if you don’t want to wait so long  

I hope this information is helpful! 

FF725FAF-CC05-4645-A6A7-81042B432FF9.jpeg

C8896585-4248-491F-B550-44338A529455.jpeg

976DFA7A-BFF8-4699-B304-F51B0610BEC8.jpeg

25E355D0-7A75-47DC-83E7-4928B91A0547.jpeg

Okay, it's looking like I'll make it! I can't wait for this one.

If you see a blonde girl in a Mistborn shirt and a big gray poncho, that's me! Please say hi/chat. I am very lonely.

Also, if anyone's curious, I called the store and they said they'll probably be handing out wristbands until it starts, so there is still time.

Someone I was with grabbed a few extra wristbands as we were leaving for some friends — but we just learned they are sick and won’t be coming. They are numbered in the 60’s. If anyone will use them — message me and I will give them to you. I’ll be at Barnes & Noble at 5:45 at the latest. I’m going to wear a red kerchief (not the full red scarf because that was too hot last signing) and a white flannel button down. 

I was wondering who from the shard was planning on being there the entire time to record the WoB’s? I can stay if no one else is but if someone else is already doing it, I won’t get in the way and I have lots to get done for Christmas in the next few days. I assume that the administration of the 17th shard already assigned someone the task but i don’t know if that’s true — or if people just volunteer to do it.

@AllomancerSam I’ll keep my eyes open for you. And if you see me first — don’t be shy! Come say hi!

Can someone ask

"Is Mraizes aviar from First of the Sun, or is it from another planet?"

This will help us know if Patji is already invested in the timeline or if it happens later. It will also let us know if magic is affected by location of the shard or not.

Edit: man i wish I could come since I'm only in Arizona :'(

Edited by MonsterMetroid

1 hour ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Can someone ask

"Is Mraizes aviar from First of the Sun, or is it from another planet?"

This will help us know if Patji is already invested in the timeline or if it happens later. It will also let us know if magic is affected by location of the shard or not.

Edit: man i wish I could come since I'm only in Arizona :'(

I’ll ask the Aviar question (as it goes along with my other Aviar questions — but I’m pretty sure it is from 1st of the sun.) — my questions are: is the green color of the bird an indication or hint of its powers? And is Mraize’s chicken green and white, green and red, or another combination of colors?

@The Sovereign

do you have a page number I could look up your question in Bands of Morning?

I have to admit that at the end of Bands of Morning things got a bit strange for me and I felt I wasn’t grasping what was going on on all the levels. Maybe a re-read of that part will help me get a more intelligent answer. I might have someone else in my group ask that question as well. Not sure how much time we will all have. 

1 minute ago, JoyBlu said:

I’ll ask the Aviar question (as it goes along with my other Aviar questions — but I’m pretty sure it is from 1st of the sun.)

Thanks Joy! I assume it is but if it is we know that patji is already invested and if not we know that shards can grant simliar powers even in different envionments and that patji investing hasnt happened yet.

4 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

assume it is but if it is we know that patji is already invested and if not we know that shards can grant simliar powers even in different envionments and that patji investing hasnt happened yet.

I hadn’t thought of that! Yes, good questions! I’ll post the answers once I have them. I need to not assume so much sometimes. If I have time I’m going to ask about some theory's I posted on the Mraize’s green chicken thread too. Maybe I should consider how to phrase those more intelligently. 

2 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

Could someone at the signing ask this question for me?

In Bands of Mourning when Hoid says he thinks he technically owns the place at Kelesina's mansion is he referring to the mansion or Scadrial as a whole?

I can ask that one. Great question, I want to know the answer now...Hopefully not a RAFO...

I will be definitely be recording the line and almost certainly staying the whole time. Nothing more exiting than listening to WoB's for 3 hours!

Edited by OrangeJedi
added comments to avoid double post

33 minutes ago, OrangeJedi said:

I can ask that one. Great question, I want to know the answer now...Hopefully not a RAFO...

I will be definitely be recording the line and almost certainly staying the whole time. Nothing more exiting than listening to WoB's for 3 hours!

Pretty sure that it has been RAFO'd before and that Brandon plans on explaining it in a story eventually.

Just got done asking questions. The answer to the Hoid one was "he was talking about the mansion "

I also asked "what is Patji's intent?" He said "it has been revealed". He further explained that I might have to make some connections to find the answer. Any ideas on what it is?

5 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

I’ll ask the Aviar question (as it goes along with my other Aviar questions — but I’m pretty sure it is from 1st of the sun.) — my questions are: is the green color of the bird an indication or hint of its powers? And is Mraize’s chicken green and white, green and red, or another combination of colors?

@The Sovereign

do you have a page number I could look up your question in Bands of Morning?

I have to admit that at the end of Bands of Morning things got a bit strange for me and I felt I wasn’t grasping what was going on on all the levels. Maybe a re-read of that part will help me get a more intelligent answer. I might have someone else in my group ask that question as well. Not sure how much time we will all have. 

@MonsterMetroid

Yes, all Aviars are from First of the Sun. Including Mraize’s chicken. 

I asked if the green color was significant and it was RAFO’d. (With a smile I might add) but the chicken is green. very green. Mostly green. 

Patji lake is a shardpool and theoretically a bird could fly into it and enter the cognitive realm on its own. But he RAFO’s how that would/could happen (like if a bird catcher was on the other side to catch it) 

Evi was born on Roshar and while her people are not native to Roshar she was born on the planet  I asked if Evi could share a bloodline with the Nalias (WarBreaker) Royalty, He RAFO’s that    

He also RAFO’d if we would see Hoid’s flute again  

Edited by JoyBlu

OK, just got in a couple questions.  Hiding the first one, as it's an Oathbringer spoiler:

Spoiler

Q: Opening a Perpendicularity, is that a Bondsmith power, or something special Dalinar did by other means?

A: RAFO

Q: Kelsier told Vin to burn off all your metals each night before going to bed, to avoid toxicity problems.

A: Yeah.

Q: Well, cadmium is really nasty stuff in that regard.  But also, if you try to do that, you'd end up with less hours of the night in which to sleep. How does Marasi deal with that?  [Note: this question is the basic premise of my fic, Bedtime.]

A: You measure carefully and then deal with the consequences of being an Allomancer.

Also, I got to meet @JoyBlu and @OrangeJedi, which was cool!

4 hours ago, OrangeJedi said:

Just got done asking questions. The answer to the Hoid one was "he was talking about the mansion "

I also asked "what is Patji's intent?" He said "it has been revealed". He further explained that I might have to make some connections to find the answer. Any ideas on what it is?

He is saying that it's Autonomy there (specifically an aspect of Autonomy). He alluded to this on the 16th. 

OB epigraph spoiler:

Which is the author of the second letter in OB

37 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Great questions @JoyBlu! Thanks for getting the rafo on connecting the iriali with nalthis I've been obsessed with that for some time. Also on the aviar.

@OrangeJedi recorded the entire thing. He has already uploaded the audio to Arcanum for review. ( @little wilson was recording audio too — I could have chatted with you forever!) ) but there was a lot of background noise. 

I think that I’m allowed to post the transcription from my own questions? I’ll do that tomorrow. Brandon elaborated on the Iriali I can’t remember verbatim every thing he said — but it was interesting. There might be something else important in what he said but I do better reading things than hearing things. 

I forgot to ask if there was an Aviar in WarBreaker!!!! I think there has to be with all those birds— but I was going to ask and totally forgot.

I had a great time and I’m glad I stayed until the line fizzled out. I enjoyed taking with so many people. There were a lot of people who had never read Sanderson who were getting books signed as gifts. @AllomancerSam I kept my eyes out for you but didn’t “see you”. Hope you made it. I thought the store was well organized and staff was friendly and helpful despite being extremely busy. And the Dragonsteel people were very kind to me. There were a few fun costumes. This Mistborn cloak was my favorite. It was made with ribbons. 

@Mason Wheeler I won’t post your picture because your GF was in it too —- but it was so great to talk with you! Your GF was a sweetheart! It would probably be upside down anyway! So fun that I got to meet you in real life! I ran into a few people that I knew in real life that I didn’t know were Sanderfans so that was fun too. 

659B08E6-9CF4-4705-AD8B-046451E669B8.jpeg

Edited by JoyBlu