Rebirth of Adonalsium

Bondsmith Eregion

I came up with this theory the other night and wanted to know what you think. I was thinking about a lot of the themes in all the books and a lot of it seems to be balance. Now, we know that Adonalsium was shattered by some outside force, right? That leaves the whole entire Cosmere unbalanced (that outside force being alive and Adonalsium dead). Now, from HoA

Spoiler

Sazed brings together Ruin and Preservation to create harmony

What if one of the eventual goals is to bring together all of the shards in a new version of Adonalsium to balance out this outside force? I’d love to hear your thoughts. 

25 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The outside force your speaking of was the people who became the Vessels. 

There is no unopposed force out in the Cosmere that needs to be balanced. 

My understanding is that any question as to whether there is an outside force has been RAFOd not definitively confirmed or denied

17 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

My understanding is that any question as to whether there is an outside force has been RAFOd not definitively confirmed or denied

After many people asked questions about the "anti-adonalsium" Brandon said that they were focusing to much on the wording and that the people who performed the shattering could be considered a "force."

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/10/#e6551

Eric

In Secret History we learn the 16 Shards that Shattered Adonalsium. Was that done [on behalf of the anti-Adonalsium force]?

Brandon Sanderson

You’re focusing too much on this idea of an anti-Adonalsium. It—the original question I believe that was asked me was “is there a force that is opposed to Adonalsium” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed Adonalsium, you could say were a force, any person who opposed Adonalsium... What they were trying to get was a “devil” but to do that you must assume Adonalsium was a more Christian-style God, and I haven’t confirmed any of that.

I have two issues with re-Adonalsiumm.

1) to cliche. The split of the Cosmere cannot be “Adonalsium was killed, then brought back together again” because that’s boring.

2) There are too many good Vessels for the Shattering to have been an altogether bad thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Farnsworth said:

I have two issues with re-Adonalsiumm.

1) to cliche. The split of the Cosmere cannot be “Adonalsium was killed, then brought back together again” because that’s boring.

2) There are too many good Vessels for the Shattering to have been an altogether bad thing. 

There is one more problem with this. 

In order to rebuild Adonalsium you would have to reconstruct all the shards and collect most of the investiture that came from the shards. That means collecting back all the breaths and all of the spren that were made as a result of the Shattering of Honor. 

On 21/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, Calderis said:

After many people asked questions about the "anti-adonalsium" Brandon said that they were focusing to much on the wording and that the people who performed the shattering could be considered a "force."

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/10/#e6551

I think the wording of that WoB still leaves a lot of wiggle room. "Force that opposes Adonalsium" is different from "A force that is the opposite of Adonalsium". But you could make the argument that the mere fact that the force is opposite of Adonalsium means it inherently opposes Adonal. 

1 hour ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

There is one more problem with this. 

In order to rebuild Adonalsium you would have to reconstruct all the shards and collect most of the investiture that came from the shards. That means collecting back all the breaths and all of the spren that were made as a result of the Shattering of Honor. 

No you wouldn't. The investiture that composes those entities are still part of the shard that created them. All that would be needed would be to connect the shards back together into one entity, instead of the divided entities that exist now. Reclaiming the investiture would only be needed if you wanted to make use of it in some way. 

Can someone give me a quick refresher on what Adonalsium is?  It sounds familiar but I can't place where it in, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the Starlight Archives.  Was it mentioned anywhere else?  Is this a thread between Sanderson's worlds?  Sorry if I sound like a newbie.  I've read all the cosmere (most books multiple times) but I forget a lot in between readings. 

Thanks!

• Chaos locked this topic