2 hours ago, Obnoxiousspren said:

Also Michael Pina as The Lopen. 

Hey man, it all started when we were stuck carrying these bridges, and then this guy showed up and he was GLOWIN’. Walkin’ on walls and stickin’ rocks to everything, some witchcraft voodoo stuff, man. And then we started fightin’ those Parsh people and Kaladin jumped over a chasm like BAM. And then he got promoted and we all kinda tagged along when the old dude with the beard was all like, “here’s my fancy long sword punk, FOR THE BRIDGE MEN!!” And then we freakin’ started glowin’ ourselves, goncho. Now I spend my nights walkin’ on the ceiling so I can scream and stuff as soon as Teft wakes up and sees me just kinda hangin’ there. 

• 1 year later...

A good chunk of these came from a fancast that I saw and couldn't get out of my head: https://www.tor.com/2016/11/02/dream-casting-brandon-sandersons-the-way-of-kings/

Also, just wanted to point out that Brandon apparently based the Alethi description on Asian/Brazilian ethnic models, and I see so many fancasts where everyone becomes super white. Admittedly, some of these don't quite fit into the ethnic mould either.

Dalinar: Ken Watanabe

Kaladin: Steven Yeun (probably too old)

Jasnah: Morena Baccarin (especially in her Inara sort of costumes)

Navani: Lucy Liu

Wit: Tom Hiddleston (I imagine him pretty much looking as he does as Loki)

Szeth: My mental image keeps giving me One Punch Man, which isn't exactly translating into a live action actor, but still

Teft: Liam Cunningham

Nale: Idris Elba (I reckon he can pull off the insane serial-killer-masquerading-as-lawman role)

Taln: Maybe Djimon Honsou

A few of the other major characters are people I've seen around in real life, or in bit parts in movies/tv shows that were so small I can't think of a name.

Edit: Possibly Tadanobu Asano for Amaram. He played Hogun Thor and the villain in 47 Ronin, which is where I can imagine the smarminess coming from

Edited by jamesbondsmith

Rock: 100% the rock

Dalinar: Karl Urban

Kaladin: Henry Cavill... except Kaladin is like 20. Cavill is late 30’s but is 100% Kaladin

Navani: Femke Janson or however you spell her name

Sigzil: Darth maul with manners

Taravangian: May he Rest In Peace, Best match woulda been the 1st dumbledore. Current winner is Clint Eastwood from The Mule.

Jasnah: Kate Beckinsale

Shallan: must be the most annoying person in Hollywood, so Miley Cyrus. J/k, would be better played by Nic Cage lol. In all seriousness, probably the stage 5 clinger from Wedding Crashers. 

Zahel: ..... just to give the man a break so he doesn’t die on camera for the 90th time, Sean Bean

Edited by joesleepsalot

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna do the Knights and the others I remember off the top of my head:

Kaladin - Adam Driver

Shallan - Scarlet Johansson, perhaps? She can be pretty sassy if she wants to.

Adolin - Let's see... blonde boi? Maybe Chris Evans? A good ol' Captain America for everyone's favorite fashionata

Renarin - Looked up a picture of this guy and I have NO IDEA.

Dalinar - Samuel L. Jackson. "B****, please. You've been to Shadesmar!" Either him or Morgan Freeman.

Lift - That chick from the new Mary Poppins movie, perhaps?

Szeth - This guy doesn't fit the description at all but let's face it a DWAYNE JOHNSON would be HILARIOUS in this role.

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 1:35 PM, Ailvara said:

Challenge accepted.

My current headcanon is Kwak Dong Yeon:

265F6D4C57F4A4162A4645

This looks.... almost exactly like how I imagine Kaladin would look.  Like, almost perfectly.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, Andy92 said:

Hey man, it all started when we were stuck carrying these bridges, and then this guy showed up and he was GLOWIN’. Walkin’ on walls and stickin’ rocks to everything, some witchcraft voodoo stuff, man. And then we started fightin’ those Parsh people and Kaladin jumped over a chasm like BAM. And then he got promoted and we all kinda tagged along when the old dude with the beard was all like, “here’s my fancy long sword punk, FOR THE BRIDGE MEN!!” And then we freakin’ started glowin’ ourselves, goncho. Now I spend my nights walkin’ on the ceiling so I can scream and stuff as soon as Teft wakes up and sees me just kinda hangin’ there. 

Oh yes.  Oh yes.  He's given me Luis vibes from the beginning.

I don't really care what ethnicity a character is long term.  Yes, it'll bug me for a while, but I'll get over it.

My personal vote for Kaladin is tied between Luke Pasqualino and Booboo Stewart.  I think he was in Descendants?

They can make Bridge Four (maybe all the bridge crews) a melting pot.  Every skin tone, every hair color.  I think there's a lot of range there. 

I don't really care what ethnicity a character is long term.  Yes, it'll bug me for a while, but I'll get over it.

I actually don't think Wit should be British.  It just doesn't seem to fit him.  I'd almost suggest Australian, but again, I don't think it fits.  

• 9 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 11:16 AM, jamesbondsmith said:

Wit: Tom Hiddleston (I imagine him pretty much looking as he does as Loki)

I think that's the reason everyone wants him to play Wit, for some reason he's really good at being trictskter-y. But doesn't Wit have white hair, at least some of the time? I feel like seeing Tom Hiddleston with white hair would be weird

• 2 weeks later...

Why is everyone suggesting caucasian actors? Brando Sando said that none of the Rosharian races are caucasian. Here's a guide to what all the races are supposed to look like. Some of them are described as part white (like Shallan, who's half Irish and half Japanese), but none of them are completely white. I know you're used to most fantasy races people white, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the canon races and pretend everyone's white. Don't whitewash them.

15 minutes ago, Tari said:

Why is everyone suggesting caucasian actors? Brando Sando said that none of the Rosharian races are caucasian. Here's a guide to what all the races are supposed to look like. Some of them are described as part white (like Shallan, who's half Irish and half Japanese), but none of them are completely white. I know you're used to most fantasy races people white, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the canon races and pretend everyone's white. Don't whitewash them.

Pretty sure there's memes on either this site or Cremposting on reddit about 'when you hear people discussing which white dude they think should play Dalinar'.

I fall into that trap too sometimes (probably due to seeing Peter Jackson's LOTR at a young age), but I think I heard about the Asian/polynesian inspirations before I started Stormlight Archive and now my actors are set (although I still do imagine Vedens being closer to 'white').

Edited by jamesbondsmith

On 3/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, jamesbondsmith said:

Also, just wanted to point out that Brandon apparently based the Alethi description on Asian/Brazilian ethnic models, and I see so many fancasts where everyone becomes super white. Admittedly, some of these don't quite fit into the ethnic mould either.

Exactly! I've think it's pretty important to have mostly non-white actors for Rosharans, like yes, they aren't real earth races, but you can always dye hair and will need to vfx eye color anyway it's harder to change eye shape/skin tone. Brandon's made it clear that they look closest MENA/AZPI etc. and that's how I've pictured them. For me, Race doesn't matter at all for Spren/Singers because of the VFX needed and it makes more sense for offworlders (Zahel, Azure, Felt, etc.) and canonically Shin(-looking) (Szeth, Ishar, etc.) to be white but otherwise, it doesn't really fit the canonical character descriptions. 

Main characters:
Navani: Shohreh Aghdashloo (from The Expanse) has always been who I see, she has the right age, the perfect looks, and I think could carry the character well.
Jasnah: I've actually pictured Lucy Liu, even though she's a decade too old. Maybe Elodie Young or Priyanka Chopra instead, for closer to the right age.
Shallan: Hailee Steinfeld. I know at first glance she looks totally wrong, but hair dye exists, and Shallan is a ginger with epicanthic folds, you're not gonna get someone who looks like that IRL. She's the right age and can play both serious drama and annoying teenager (Edge of Seventeen is amazing) really well. She also does snarky really well. 
Adolin: Manny Jacinto. Right-ish age, super attractive and already plays a great human golden retriever in the Good Place. Do his hair something like this
Kaladin: Booboo Stewart has the right look for me, but I've only seen him in Twilight so I have no idea if he could actually work. Avan Jorgia too, but again, only seen him on Disney. 
Renarin: Ryan Potter. Right age, and has the sort of delicate look that works well for Ren. 
Szeth: Jake Gyllenhaal? He plays unhinged really well. Like everyone else, One Punch Man is who I picture lol. Anthony Carrigan plays a great bald crazy assassin in Gotham.
Venli: I know it's a meme, but I actually like Scarlet Johansson for her. Voice quality is the most important for Singers, and I think she has a really distinct one that could work well. 
Taravangian: I know he's way too young but Giancarlo Esposito is just so so perfect as the careful, unexpected villain. 

For some random smaller roles.
Saedas: Benedict Wong has the perfect facial structure and the acting chops for it.
Palona: Salma Hayek (hot, right age, Hispanic, funny enough). with...
Sebariel: Jemaine Clement (good mix of serious + comedy)
Elhokar: Henry Golding (has the frat bro kinda look to me idk). 
Tien: Ian Chen (he's adorable in Fresh of the Boat).  
Sigzil: Alfred Enoch (nerdy but also could kick your ass)
Adrotagia: Wai Ching Ho (plays a great villain) 
Amaran: Kumail Nanjiani. I think he could play conniving well. Handsome, but could be smarmy. 
Eshonai: Gwendoline Christie (powerful, but can play with some sensitivity, picturing her in Shardplate feels easy. 

Heralds. Super small roles now, but I think you need pretty big hitters because (A) I'm pretty sure they'll more important in the back half but also because (B) playing a 7000+ crazy divine figure is no easy.
Ash: Lupita Nyong'o. She's ridiculously attractive, dark-skinned, and was awesome in the dual role in Us. 
Kalak: I actually would use Steven Yuen here. Minari showed his skill. I think he could pull off both the anxious wreck and the classic resolute builder. 
Nale: Idris Elba is a great call. Maybe Daniel Kaluuya for someone younger?
Ishar: Anthony Hopkins. He was great as the crazy mastermind in Westworld and it's Anthony Hopkins, what more do you want. 

Spren. Harder for me to cast but it's all about feel and almost nothing about looks...
Stormfather: Morgan Freeman. All about the voice and the gravitas.  
Syl: Emilia Clarke is a bit too old, but she has the sheer charisma I think Syl needs. Maybe Freya Allen? She's great in the Witcher and has an ethereal look. 
Pattern: Charlie Day, I will not explain this it just feels right. Or maybe Jason Mantzoukas lol. Def a comedy actor with a distinct voice. 

Edited by Could Be Fire

• 3 weeks later...

This is my (incomplete) cast:

My dream Dalinar is Toshiro Mifune. Unfortunately he’s no longer alive. So my second choice is Chow Yun-Fat. Chow was incredible in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which is why he’s my second Dalinar pick.

I really, really want Hiddleston for Hoid. He’s exactly who I envision when I imagine Hoid. 

For Thaidakar: Fassbender. A really interesting fan cast I saw suggested Ian McGregor, which I could see. 

I want Hamill to voice Odium. The man does villains like no one else.

I’ve gone back and forth on Taravangian, but I’ve finally decided that I can’t think of anyone better than my initial pick to play him: Patrick Stewart. The pathos Stewart brings to a role is remarkable and there aren’t many actors who can make you believe the way he does. I’ve always seen him as T and I can’t think of anyone better.

For Cultivation I want Gina Torres. Loved her in Firefly.

I want Lupita Nyongo to play Ash. One of the most beautiful women in the world and an incredible actress. Is there anyone more perfect?

I want Ming-NA-Wen to play Navani. 

I’d really like to see an Indian actor play Zahel and Azure. Not only does Hallendren feel like India to me, but it’s rare to see Indian actors in major serious actor roles. I don’t have any specific picks at present though.

If he were still alive I’d have wanted Chadwick Boseman to play Taln. I haven’t picked anyone to replace him yet. I honestly don’t think anyone can. But since he can’t: Mike Colter. Colter was an amazing Cage and the character truly came to life in his work.

I want the Rock to play... Rock. I mean, come on! That’s the only person I’ve ever seen in that role for... obvious reasons.

I want Benjamin Bratt to play the Lopen. The guy was so over the top as de la Cruz. I can so easily see him as the Lopen.

I’m thinking Takei could play Drehy. This way we get Takei, and no one can complain about a straight man playing a gay one. Mostly I just want Takei. Avoiding a needless controversy is a bonus. (I’ll save that for Stewart above.) 

I think Gal Gadot can play Jasnah. She definitely falls on the Middle Eastern side of the Jewish genome, and Alethi have mixed Middle and Far Eastern features. She also has an epicanthic fold, like many people with Middle Eastern descent. And since we’ll want some prominent big names, she’ll definitely give us that. (Admittedly, this whole list is mostly big names.) Also, she’s awesome and would make a fantastic Jasnah.

Ryan Potter is my Kaladin. He’s definitely athletic enough - did you see his Tim Drake video? (Please DC, let him play Tim!) He’s an awesome actor. He’s also one of the only Far/Middle Eastern actors out there, so he’s actually the ethnicity Brandon has described!

Iyatil should be played by someone European looking, as she’s a South Scadrian. No specific actress in mind.

I’d want Awkwafina to play Lyn. For some reason that’s who my head has decided she looks like.

Jackie Chan should play Teft. Chan has such range and it’s a real pity he’s been so typecast here.

Jet Li  I want for Gavilar. No reason; he just felt right.

Brenda Song for Shallan. I think she could actually do a very good job.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

I hate to be the guy to drop the obligatory "Most of the Stormlight characters are vaguely Middle-Eastern/Asian/Polynesian in looks", but yeah. I personally really like the look of Luke Pasqualino for Kaladin, Rebecca Hazlewood for Jasnah, Tom Hiddleston for Hoid and even as funny as it sounds as first it's not impossible for me to see the Rock as Rock, I think he could play the role well. I personally have considered with a Stormlight movie probably being a ways away, that an older Jason Mamoa could make for a good Dalinar. I even edited the photo below to see what it might look like (Excuse the UI, I did it on my phone with a screenshot off google images)

Dalinar.jpg