Things in Signed Well of Ascension Leatherbounds

Pagerunner

Sounds like some of you lucky fools are getting your WoA leatherbounds already. Just like we did with OB, we're going to create a thread where you can post pictures of questions and answers, if you're willing to share. The best format is to have both the packing slip with the question and your personalization in the same image.

You can also feel free to upload images directly into Arcanum, in the Signed Books 2018 event. An Arcanist will convert those images into text entries. Images posted in this thread will make their way into Arcanum, but it might take a little longer.

If you took the opportunity to order some other personalized hardcovers from Brandon's site, feel free to upload pics of them in either location, as well. The more the merrier!

Edited by Pagerunner
Happy New Year!

• 1 month later...

I'm relatively sure this hasn't been asked before.

Rashek knew about the trade through The Pits of Hathsin.

20180213_141939.jpg

So, in a glorious display of competence, I went to add it to the Arcanum, and cannot seem to connect the source, the uploaded image, to the entry I created. But they're both there. Separately.
Half points?

Edited by Kiiyashi

11 hours ago, Kiiyashi said:

Rashek knew about the trade through The Pits of Hathsin.

This is fantastic!  If he knew about the trade, and was trying to keep Atium hidden so Ruin would never find it, do you think he shipped any off planet through the trade?  This opens possibilities that Atium still exists in its pure form somewhere in the Cosmere!

Awesome WOB, thanks!

11 hours ago, Stark said:

This is fantastic!  If he knew about the trade, and was trying to keep Atium hidden so Ruin would never find it, do you think he shipped any off planet through the trade?  This opens possibilities that Atium still exists in its pure form somewhere in the Cosmere!

Awesome WOB, thanks!

Possible, but I'm not sure if it fits how he operates.
There would certainly be a far lower chance of the Atium being burned off world, though. Would be safer on many levels.

The fact that trade existed makes it likely that there is SOME Atium still out there, but probably not much.
If Rashek trusted anyone else with keeping the stash safe, it would probably all be off world.
With most of it remaining on Scadrial, he likely wanted to keep it all where he could watch it.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Oberyn said:

Not sure how useful getting a RAFO is(besides getting a VERY cool card.), but I got my leatherbound well of ascension copy last week:

The RAFO is kinda neat and very important - it implies quite a bit.  But far more exciting is the next line in parentheses..  Confirmation that Cultivation talks to lots of people.  That, in my mind, is pretty huge.

I got my singed copy of Mistborn: TFE 10th Anniversary this weekend. I didn't see a thread for it so I'm just going to put my WoB here.

I got some canon information on the Shodel (Fain creatures):

Question:
Are the Shodel hordlings and/or a hivemind?

Answer:
The Shodel are not a hivemind.

20180327_060313.thumb.jpg.5a7157981c2ffbc096aa29b15f1418c6.jpg

Edited by The Sovereign
Image added.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday.  Will do my best to remember to upload a photo when I get home.  My question was (Will edit to get exact wording, also when at home):

Atium was not a basic metal.  Does the Era 2 table of 16 have a similar mistake? 

In comments: If RAFO, may I have a quote instead please?

I got a quote, "I write these words in steel..." so RAFO.  Does not prove or disprove my theory that Aluminum, much like Atium, is not, and was never, one of the basic metals.  

IMAG1301.jpg

Edited by Stark
Corrections and photo upload

On 3/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, RiyriaMistborn said:

Here's mine! 

Q: Has Hoid ever had a love interest? 

A: Yes! Several! 

Now I'm curious as to whether they'll all show up in DragonSteel, or if there have been any that are more recent... 

IMG_20180314_115118193.jpg

Hm... I’ve seen a WoB somewhere that Hoid had interesting relationships with some of the Sho Del... I wonder if he was ever in a relationship with one of those.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:26 AM, Steeldancer said:

Hm... I’ve seen a WoB somewhere that Hoid had interesting relationships with some of the Sho Del... I wonder if he was ever in a relationship with one of those.

Sho Del? I'm guessing that's from an unpublished work... I'm not familiar with those, sadly. Haven't been able to find them. 

4 minutes ago, RiyriaMistborn said:

Sho Del? I'm guessing that's from an unpublished work... I'm not familiar with those, sadly. Haven't been able to find them. 

They are from Dragonsteel, whenever Brandon fits that one into the Cosmere Writing Schedule.

They are the 3rd race on Yolen, with Humans and Dragons. Uli Da(Vessel for Ambition) was a Sho Del.
Without going into things that may no longer be canon(once Dragonsteel and/or Liar of Partinel get reworked), that's all we know about them.

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

They are from Dragonsteel, whenever Brandon fits that one into the Cosmere Writing Schedule.

They are the 3rd race on Yolen, with Humans and Dragons. Uli Da(Vessel for Ambition) was a Sho Del.
Without going into things that may no longer be canon(once Dragonsteel and/or Liar of Partinel get reworked), that's all we know about them.

Ah. So not all of the Shards were originally even human. That's interesting... 

Just now, RiyriaMistborn said:

Ah. So not all of the Shards were originally even human. That's interesting... 

Yep. Brandon has been rather up-front with that too.

Questioner
I wonder, if original shardholders [Vessels] was another sapient species, not from...

Brandon Sanderson
Not from Yolen? So... no, everybody was from Yolen.

Questioner
Sapience was..?

Brandon Sanderson
Not all human, but all from Yolen.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]
Right. But that's canon. It's pretty obvious to me... And so it's fine with me canonizing it. I mean, I've been coy with it for years. But when I say there are Shards that aren't human. There are three races on Yolen... Adding the math together is going to get you a pretty obvious answer.

Just got my signed Mistborn trilogy!! The images are spoilered beneath the questions.

MBFE Question: Are the Dysian Aimians agents of Cultivation? If not, are they in league with another group (excluding the Knights Radiant) that we have seen?

Brandon's Answer: Kind of yes to both – kind of

Spoiler

20180417_163126.thumb.jpg.5c224035103c58cd20b50208eb69b7e6.jpg

MBWoA Question (asked for @Calderis): If a person held enough breath to attain the 5th Heightening, lived for a thousand years, and then sold all but their initial breath, would their spiritual age force them to rapidly age as we saw with Rashek, or would they resume natural aging from the point at which they ceased?

Brandon's Answer: I think they would rapidly age. But I'm not ready to say 100%.

Spoiler

20180417_163327.thumb.jpg.0b2fc489da4dfcb10fa72aa93fd95b66.jpg

MBHoA Question (asked for @Oversleep): If we spiked a singer with Feruchemical nicrosil, could he store the spren he's bonded to and lose form in the process? Could he bond another spren then? Could he then change forms at will by carefully storing and tapping nicrosil?

Brandon's Answer: RAFO :) (he's pretty consistently doing this to you @Oversleep, too bad, it's a rad question.

Spoiler

20180417_163438.thumb.jpg.d85624fdec084475df377a282a827421.jpg

Pretty rad!

So, the Dysian Aimian question really only eliminates my postulate that they were created specifically to be tools of Cultivation, but they are kind of working with Cultivation and kind of working with other groups that we have seen. Sounds like they are mostly pursuing their own agenda, but this agenda has some overlap with Cultivation's plans and some of the other cosmere groups (like the Ghostbloods or the 17th shard). Interesting, but not terribly edifying.

As for the return of true age after getting rid of the extra breaths, this is interesting, but seems highly logical and fits with the Cosmere following the principles of Thermodynamics (especially the conservation of Energy). Investiture is necessary to fight off the natural drift towards entropy and disillusion. Interesting that this isn't 100% set at this point, but this could be giving some wiggle room for the awesomeness that is yet to come in Warbreaker 2: Nightblood. This isn't quite the iron clad clarification your were looking for Calderis, but interesting none the less.

Brandon has pretty consistently RAFOed your high level hemalurgy questions Oversleep, too bad, this was a great question.

I got the Hardcover Mistborn trilogy (not the leatherbounds), but if you are looking for an economical well to get your Words of Brandon, this is really the cost of just one leatherbound volume. In a perfect world, I would be able to order all of the leatherbounds, they are truly beautiful editions and the 2 color interior printing is quite nice, but if like me you are trying to stretch your pennies, this is a pretty good way to do it (if you don't already have the Mistborn Hardcovers that is).

Not much can get me back from my temporary self-enforced Shard hiatus (real life remains a shocker) but I've eagerly awaited these. Great stuff hoidit! Cal and I have wanted that Breath answer for a long time :wub:

I miss you guys

Edited by Extesian

16 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Not much can get me back from my temporary self-enforced Shard hiatus (real life remains a shocker) but I've eagerly awaited these. Great stuff hoidit! Cal and I have wanted that Breath answer for a long time :wub:

I miss you guys

Yeah, I've been unplugged from the Shard for a bit too, have lots of work that unfortunately doesn't get done when I'm writing Cosmere song parodies or making diagrams for Reverse pairing fabrials. C'est la vie.

Calderis's question was a good one, and it's a pretty satisfying answer.

In hindsight, maybe I should have gone with another question... cross-magic stuff is a RAFO minefield. I will try again after Stormlight 4.

I am honestly surprised with his answer about the 5th Heightening. I was expecting kind of an opposite answer.

The Dysians are about what I expected.

13 hours ago, Extesian said:

I miss you guys

Feeling is mutual, mate :)

Edited by Oversleep

• 5 months later...

Not Leatherbounds, but I had a good haul from the store's summer sale, and this seems as good a place as any to share them.

Pagerunner

Can you hint at a form of Selish magic we haven't seen yet?

Brandon Sanderson

It is about patterns...

source

Pagerunner

Are the Aethers from one of the Shards that we know? Or are they of a Shard we haven't learned about?

Brandon Sanderson

Right now they are pre-Shattering.

But I will probably change that.

source

Pagerunner

Khriss says there was Investiture on Threnody prior to Odium and Ambition's battle. Was that Investiture of Ambition?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO!

source

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

source

The medallion one, in particular, has been something on my mind since the Bands of Mourning release. I tried to work towards this question at JordanCon, and got what I felt was a time-saving RAFO to keep the line moving. And it looks like my instincts were right, since a slightly reworded version got an answer here!

I'll track down a medallion thread and expand on why I asked this question and what I think it means. I'll come back here and link it once I've done so.

EDIT:

Edited by Pagerunner

• 3 months later...

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but is he still doing the answers to questions in personalizations?

Looking at getting one of the leatherbound copies of Mistborn, and all I see for options are:

No Personalization Book quote of Brandon's choosing. Happy Birthday! Congratulations! Happy Holidays!