State of the Sanderson 2017

Here it is! Yay! Happy Koloss-Head Munching Day everyone!

https://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2017/

Okay, looks like we are not getting new Cosmere stuff until 2019, with Wax & Wayne, unless Brandon pulls a stunt like he did with SoS and BoM. Dark One as an eventual movie/tv-series/graphic novel should be interesting as well. 

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Well its clear .. Brandon wants to guve himself some leeway with the Skyward series .. if he write all three this year, he can have one book squeduled for publication every year until 2020 ..

but the cosmere is suffering because of it .. Wax and Wayne will probably be published at the end of 2019 ... stormlight 4 would probably be 2021  ..

Alcatraz could be early next year so along with legion, 2 full series finished .. great 

if he can find the time for rithmatist 2, before stormlight 4, it would be even better

Looks like 2018 will be a bleak year for the Cosmere. I'd be lying if I didn't say I am disappointed I was really hoping for the last Wax and Wayne book around this time next year.  That said I understand Brandon needs to do what he does so I will happily stand by. I've listened to the preview of Skyward and having a little bit of a hard time thinking I will be interested in a story with a 5 year old protagonist but who knows I didn't think I would like Reckoners either. Legion.. Man I have tried that book 3 times now and just cant get in to it. It's odd because I like the premise but I have a severe block on those books.  

Edited by StormingTexan
Spelling

Personally, I hope Skyward is entertaining, but I do feel a little sad about the small amount of Cosmere we will get. If Brandon decides to do all three Skyward books in a row he´ll probably do short things in between though, just like he planned to with Apocalypse Guard. One of those could easily be Wandersail, which might result in a Stormlight novella during 2018. I can also see Alcatraz being finished next year, and with luck, he might manage to fix AG between books as well... which means going into 2019 with no Alcatraz or Legion, as well as a complete trilogy waiting for release, as well as the first AG. That will allow Brandon to focus on finishing Wax and Wayne as well, and then starting on Stormlight 4. I think the next State of the Sanderson will be real exciting.

39 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I've listened to the preview of Skyward and having a little bit of a hard time thinking I will be interested in a story with a 5 year old protagonist but who knows I didn't think I would like Reckoners either.

I don't think she'll be five the entire book. I think that's just the prologue, and then she'll be older, probably a teenager, for the rest of the book. 

I feel that this could be refreshing. I like faces of Brandon that are not cosmere and I definitely don't want him to burn out of cosmere due to too much of it. I've seen the massive Dresden files slump from Jim Butcher and at this point I think the cosmere is a series, not a collection of series. 

Regarding the order of the cosmere stuff that is coming out, this one would work just fine if he could squeeze some Sel/new world between Wax/Wayne and Stormlight. I'm kind of craving for a different cosmere setting. 

It would have been a lot better if he had a different deal with delacorte, instead of book per year, book per 2 years .. 

The squedule would have something like this

skyward 2018 + legion

wax and wayne 2019 + alcatraz

skyward 2020 + rithmatist

stormlight 4 2021 + the dark one

elantris2 2022 + skyward 

elantris3 2023 + The dark one 2

Stormlight 5 2024 + apocalypse 

Edited by Martin4os

22 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I don't think she'll be five the entire book. I think that's just the prologue, and then she'll be older, probably a teenager, for the rest of the book. 

Ah ok well that may help :P The preview chapter felt a little weird to me. 

3 minutes ago, Oberyn said:

Regarding the order of the cosmere stuff that is coming out, this one would work just fine if he could squeeze some Sel/new world between Wax/Wayne and Stormlight. I'm kind of craving for a different cosmere setting. 

Yeah I think he will want to finish up W&W first which I hope he does. That era is at a pretty exciting point and I think the conclusion will have some pretty big Cosmere ramifications that will push along the overall Cosmere plot nicely. You do raise a good point though this puts Elantris and Warbreaker sequels really far out after SA4. 

26 minutes ago, Martin4os said:

It would have been a lot better if he had a different deal with delacorte, instead of book per year, book per 2 years .. 

The squedule would have something like this

skyward 2018 + legion

wax and wayne 2019 + alcatraz

skyward 2020 + rithmatist

stormlight 4 2021 + the dark one

elantris2 2022 + skyward 

elantris3 2023 + The dark one 2

Stormlight 5 2024 + apocalypse 

Do we know that his deal with Delacorte is one book per year?

We don’t actually! 

But you can see the last three state of the sanderson (2015, 2016 and now) everything is changed except those dates.  It was the same in that reddit post with the different squeduling.

If you take that argument and add the fact that he has claimed multiple times that he is writing there books to relax from the ‘more important cosmere ones’ it doesn’t make a shred of sense to maintain that publication order. 

What i’m saying is, if the deal was flexible, he would have written them when/if available, not strictly like now

10 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

No Nightblood! :(

I know I am extremely sad about this and I see no near future (in the next 5 years) that we will see this. I keep thinking because of Stormlight he will bless us with this book but I feel like other things will always be in the way. 

58 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I know I am extremely sad about this and I see no near future (in the next 5 years) that we will see this. I keep thinking because of Stormlight he will bless us with this book but I feel like other things will always be in the way. 

Nightblood is squeduled after the elantris sequels (2 and 3).. and those are squeduled after the wax and wayne conclusion (release date is 2019).. and between them, there should be a 2 year period to write Stormlight 4 .. it would be a miracle if nightblood happens before 2025

Just now, Martin4os said:

Nightblood is squeduled after the elantris sequels (2 and 3).. and those are squeduled after the wax and wayne conclusion (release date is 2019).. and between them, there should be a 2 year period to write Stormlight 4 .. it would be a miracle if nightblood happens before 2025

Yeah I know but I have been hoping because of SA that Nightblood will leap frog Elantris. Probably futile but a guy can dream right? Regardless I don't see how he is going to squeeze in either before he starts SA 4 if the 2020 release holds unless Skyward trilogy and W&W 4 go really really fast. 

12 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

I guess there’s our answe to the perpetual “does Brandon lurk in the forums” question.

No Nightblood! :(

From a financial perspective, it was a huge success. Brandon is aware of the graphic novel’s flaws and has his own issues as well.

It's definitely a little disappointing to see no Cosmere for 2018, but I easily understand the need to get away and take a break.  We have been very, very spoiled by Brandon and his ability to write like a machine.  (Especially compared to other authors who will remain nameless.)

Of course that being said, when I see "I hope to have rock solid outlines for Stormlight 4 and 5 by the end of 2018.," my brain interprets it as, "I will unintentionally write Stormlight 5 at the same time as 4 and you will have them both in back to back years."  

Because Brandon.

Yeah when Brandon says I hope something, I always insert I will write Nightblood to figure out stormlight 4 or something. Honestly I wouldn't be a bit surprised if nightblood does get squeezed in because brandon needs to figure something out for stormlight with the prominence of Vasher and Vivenna. Right now that would be the logical oops book that's more or less what happened with Bands of Mourning.

I was also hoping for a non-cosmere short fiction collection like arcanum unbounded. I have defending elysium from his site but haven't read it with my speech software yet. I don't really want to by snapshot audio if it'll be in a collection and I downloaded the other two legions for free so I won't get a collection of Legion. I thought last year he said something about a collection so any news.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:02 PM, Mondaysjelly said:

I was browsing the Magic cards he got as gifts. Someone should send him one with just RAFO on the back.

That'll teach him.

That would have been hilarious!  I really hope someone does that at some point in the future!

I was thinking of his solution to Alcatraz 6 (collaborate with Jansi Patterson on it to help with Bastille's voice), and I started wondering if he could use this co-author strategy to take some of the load off his other non-cosmere works. Like, we already know from the release party that he's asking Dan Wells for help on Apocalypse Guard. If Dan (or someone else) would somehow agree to co-author Apocalypse Guard, and maybe finish off the series himself (using Brandon's outlines), then Brandon would suddenly have one less series to worry about.

He could do the same thing for the Aztlanian. Since he wants to write it with Latin American sensibilities in mind, he could collaborate with a Latin American fantasy author to work on the dialogue of Aztek Federation characters and anything else that might concern Latin American readers.

Of course, all this assumes that Brandon will find authors willing to collaborate on his works and who would be faithful to his vision (we don't even know if Patterson has already agreed on doing The Worldspire), but I really hope he'd be willing to try to do more of this for the sake of his Cosmere fans.

Edited by skaa