Lift climbing walls

Noturbizniss

First time poster here. I tried a rudimentary search but couldn't find this. 

I was rereading edgedancer a few weeks ago and got to thinking. When lift climbs the walls by grabbing on to wyndle, is that really what she's doing or merely how they perceive it? Since she has the surge of abrasion, could it be that she is merely making the friction so high on her fingers and feet that she doesn't slide off? She doesn't understand it so she perceives it as grabbing on to wyndle? 

That's a pretty good theory! I like the idea that she can make the friction so high that she can use it to climb, and can definitely see the benefit for other Edgedancers to have that ability. However, we know that Lift is more in the Cognitive Realm than other people, and can more directly interact with her Spren. Wyndle even states that she's able to physically interact with him, and he's confused by it.

The friction idea probably helps, no doubt! But we know that she is able to physically grab hold of Wyndle as well.

Problem is, we've generally understood her ability to touch Wyndle as a consequence of her being partially in the Cognitive Realm – due to the Old Magic granted by the Nightwatcher.

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler

The same way anyone can touch Spren whilst they are fully in the Cognitive Realm

Additionally, even if she did make Abrasion super high (raising the friction coefficient or something), that would just mean a greater percentage of kinetic energy would be converted to heat. She'd probably burn her hands of if this were the case, and Brandon likes to keep watch to make sure things like that are consistent. 

@MistLord

I don’t think that Friction would necessarily generate heat of that magnitude.

RL correlate being Geckos. They are able to cling to a sheet of glass using friction without generating any heat at all. A Late Night Science Channel or Animal Planet show being my source.

Friction+Motion creates heat, but Friction as a stand-alone seems like it would function appropriately.

Edited by IllNsickly

23 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

@MistLord

I don’t think that Friction would necessarily generate heat of that magnitude.

RL correlate being Geckos. They are able to cling to a sheet of glass using friction without generating any heat at all. A Late Night Science Channel or Animal Planet show being my source.

Friction+Motion creates heat, but Friction as a stand-alone seems like it would function appropriately.

The last point is completely correct, and therefore Lift would not generate heat if she did increase the force of friction. Heat is created by friction by transferring the kinetic energy of an object into heat; if Lift walked up a wall by increasing the static frictional force, her feet would not be sliding down the wall. Instead, they would be pushing down at an angle against the wall, while the frictional force would be pushing up with an equal force, allowing her to remain on the wall. However, it would be incredibly hard to do this while remaining on balance, so I doubt that Lift would be using this method. She is just grabbing onto Wyndle (due to her being more in the Cognitive Realm) and pulling herself up.

Being a physics nerd, I'm wondering how Lift goes about increasing/decreasing the force of friction acting upon an object so she could climb or slide. I know that there are two ways she could go about doing this: either by varying the normal force between her and the object, or by changing the coefficient of friction of a surface. I'm more inclined towards the second way, but I think the first way is plausible. What do you all think?

Edited by TJtheWiz

33 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

I meant so hungry that she would fall off of the wall.

I guess I don’t see there being any more Stormlight cost to her increasing her friction as opposed to decreasing it. 

Cultivation has already shown a longer view of things with Dalinar, so I assume that she knew what she was doing with Lift. I think that the Food to Stormlight conversion won’t be a detriment going forward. Especially considering Lift now has at least 3 separate bases of operation. Plenty of opportunity for food.

2 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

I guess I don’t see there being any more Stormlight cost to her increasing her friction as opposed to decreasing it. 

Cultivation has already shown a longer view of things with Dalinar, so I assume that she knew what she was doing with Lift. I think that the Food to Stormlight conversion won’t be a detriment going forward. Especially considering Lift now has at least 3 separate bases of operation. Plenty of opportunity for food.

Point.

• Chaos locked this topic