Why Hoid Hates Bavadin

AntiqueArabesque

It makes perfect sense that delicious (yet non-nutritious) food of the dried, "just add water" variety would originate on Taldain.

And I love this first theory!  Can it be extended further?  Is the reason Hoid collects so many invested objects because there are other delicious snacks that have not been available since the shattering of Adonalsium?  Perhaps his ultimate goal is the ability to recreate the cheesy wotsit?

I think you actually got it wrong. It's not Hoid hating Bavadin because she restricts traveling in and out of Taldain. I think it's Bavadin restricting traveling because she and Hoid hates each other! Look at Obrodai, it will be another place Hoid will not be able to easily access!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Master Knapper said:

Could Bavadin have restricted access to Taldain simply to protect the supply of Ramen? I had to do the same thing once to protect my beer supply.

On 12/18/2017 at 1:03 PM, shawnhargreaves said:

It makes perfect sense that delicious (yet non-nutritious) food of the dried, "just add water" variety would originate on Taldain.

And I love this first theory!  Can it be extended further?  Is the reason Hoid collects so many invested objects because there are other delicious snacks that have not been available since the shattering of Adonalsium?  Perhaps his ultimate goal is the ability to recreate the cheesy wotsit?

I could see a Cosmere themed South Park episode based on these two ideas as a premise.

18 hours ago, Kered said:

If this is the case than it only makes sense that the reason Hoid has a grudge with Rayse is because Rayse has somehow impeded Hoid from eating bacon.

This can be easily demonstrated through an application of basic set theory:

Take the letters in the word "Rayse':  r, a, y, s, e.

Order them alphabetically, producing the set R = { a, e, r, s, y }

Now take 'bacon', which gives the set B = { a, b, c, n, o }

We can understand Odium's past interactions with bacon by looking at the intersection of these two sets, R ∩ B = { a }

Of course any cosmere scholar will immediately recognize that a solitary 'a' must represent Adonalsium.  Therefore, it is proven that Rayse has consumed all bacon since the time of the Shattering.  He takes not only pain and other strong emotions, but also delicious and crispy pig products.  No wonder Hoid doesn't like him!

On 12/28/2017 at 0:34 AM, Willshaping Crasher said:

Hoid should just recruit Lift and take her along on his travels.  She is great at finding food. Problem solved!B)

also, 

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler

Lift is very good at getting into places that should be impossible to get into, like Dalinar's visions, for example.

• Chaos locked this topic