AntiqueArabesque

Why Hoid Hates Bavadin

16 posts in this topic

I just think it is great that you put this much thought into Hoid liking ramen. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is certainly plausible, although I suspect Hoid's antipathy for Bavadin runs far deeper than "She's keeping me from getting my favorite food!"  It is a good first theory, though.  Welcome to the Shard!

Edited by Landis963
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes perfect sense that delicious (yet non-nutritious) food of the dried, "just add water" variety would originate on Taldain.

And I love this first theory!  Can it be extended further?  Is the reason Hoid collects so many invested objects because there are other delicious snacks that have not been available since the shattering of Adonalsium?  Perhaps his ultimate goal is the ability to recreate the cheesy wotsit?

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shawnhargreaves

I'll try and add more in a new post when I have time, but I've been pretty busy as of late. I typed this one out in about 45 minutes and something longer would probably take a few hours.

Edited by AntiqueArabesque
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you actually got it wrong. It's not Hoid hating Bavadin because she restricts traveling in and out of Taldain. I think it's Bavadin restricting traveling because she and Hoid hates each other! Look at Obrodai, it will be another place Hoid will not be able to easily access!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea that this is his driving motive. Everything he does is just moving toward getting more instant noodles in the Cosmere. :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoid should just recruit Lift and take her along on his travels.  She is great at finding food. Problem solved!B)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could Bavadin have restricted access to Taldain simply to protect the supply of Ramen? I had to do the same thing once to protect my beer supply.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Master Knapper said:

Could Bavadin have restricted access to Taldain simply to protect the supply of Ramen? I had to do the same thing once to protect my beer supply.

Autonomy is notoriously unforgiving of other people stealing stuff out of the fridge.  GET YOUR OWN!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Master Knapper said:

Could Bavadin have restricted access to Taldain simply to protect the supply of Ramen? I had to do the same thing once to protect my beer supply.

 

On 12/18/2017 at 1:03 PM, shawnhargreaves said:

It makes perfect sense that delicious (yet non-nutritious) food of the dried, "just add water" variety would originate on Taldain.

And I love this first theory!  Can it be extended further?  Is the reason Hoid collects so many invested objects because there are other delicious snacks that have not been available since the shattering of Adonalsium?  Perhaps his ultimate goal is the ability to recreate the cheesy wotsit?

 

I could see a Cosmere themed South Park episode based on these two ideas as a premise.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose that it's fair that Autonomy doesn't want Hoid Bavadin her in Taldain. I mean, it would suck to have your own personal stache of instant noodles being stolen away like that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is the case than it only makes sense that the reason Hoid has a grudge with Rayse is because Rayse has somehow impeded Hoid from eating bacon.

Odium really is a monster. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kered said:

If this is the case than it only makes sense that the reason Hoid has a grudge with Rayse is because Rayse has somehow impeded Hoid from eating bacon.

This can be easily demonstrated through an application of basic set theory:

Take the letters in the word "Rayse':  r, a, y, s, e.

Order them alphabetically, producing the set R = { a, e, r, s, y }

Now take 'bacon', which gives the set B = { a, b, c, n, o }

We can understand Odium's past interactions with bacon by looking at the intersection of these two sets, R ∩ B = { a }

Of course any cosmere scholar will immediately recognize that a solitary 'a' must represent Adonalsium.  Therefore, it is proven that Rayse has consumed all bacon since the time of the Shattering.  He takes not only pain and other strong emotions, but also delicious and crispy pig products.  No wonder Hoid doesn't like him!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 0:34 AM, Willshaping Crasher said:

Hoid should just recruit Lift and take her along on his travels.  She is great at finding food. Problem solved!B)

also, 

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler

Lift is very good at getting into places that should be impossible to get into, like Dalinar's visions, for example.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.