[OB] What do Willshapers do?

digitalbusker

Wow yeah I could totally see Cohesion, maybe with the help of Illumination, having a hand in the creation of the Dawncities.

I have a couple of questions/ideas about how Cohesion could be used. We speculate that some surges go in two directions, like if Lift can decrease friction could she increase it as well? If cohesion makes solids act like liquids temporarily, how does it affect other states of matter? Would it work the other way too? Can it make air act as a solid for example? I'm thinking forcefields, or trapping people in solid blocks of air here. 

On transportation, I'd love to know if it is telekinesis along with teleportation, but that might make it too powerful. 

2 hours ago, Ciridae said:

On transportation, I'd love to know if it is telekinesis along with teleportation, but that might make it too powerful. 

If transportation is capable of teleportation, depending on it's limits, it can already be fairly overpowered, especially if you don't have limits on destinations, aka, teleport a rock into their chests.

17 hours ago, Aminar said:

Hear me out on this.  

Orrrrr... after your initial plead I went and got me some popcorn ... now I am all disappointed ...

Willshapers are associated with building. 

Cymatics creates the shapes of the great cities in sand. 

Willshapers loosen up a material, making it liquid. Liquid that would be shaped by vibrations in the same ways and patterns. 

Willshapers build freaking cities.

Of course I am kidding...nice idea!

I already see the Willshapers loosen up the ground and then let the frequencies based on Roshars Rythms do all the work for the cymatics!

My quibble with this Willshapers making Dawncities idea is that the other things we know of as 'Dawn-' which are the Dawnsingers and Dawnshards both predate humanities arrival on Roshar whereas the Radiants obviously don't. The Singers were already there and the Dawnshards were on Ashyn. In fact we see Kholinar complete in the time of Nohadon which was before the establishment of the Radiants (although not before human surgebinding). My longtime assumption is that the Dawncities were built by Singers as the connection between them, the Rythmns and the sound based nature of Cymatics seems too obvious to ignore. I am open, however, to the idea that given we know Surgebinding existed on Roshar before humans arrived, that the Singers used Cohesion in conjunction with the Rythmns to build the Dawncities 

4 hours ago, Ookla the Foxed said:

If transportation is capable of teleportation, depending on it's limits, it can already be fairly overpowered, especially if you don't have limits on destinations, aka, teleport a rock into their chests.

You've just discovered the origin of gemhearts I think...

On ‎18‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 7:04 PM, The Invested Beard said:

We shape wills obviously. :lol:

I think it's quite funny, that if you put it the other way around: They shape to their will, it actually works with what some people said here :)

Edited by Sandra

50 minutes ago, Dlyol said:

My quibble with this Willshapers making Dawncities idea is that the other things we know of as 'Dawn-' which are the Dawnsingers and Dawnshards both predate humanities arrival on Roshar whereas the Radiants obviously don't. The Singers were already there and the Dawnshards were on Ashyn. In fact we see Kholinar complete in the time of Nohadon which was before the establishment of the Radiants (although not before human surgebinding). My longtime assumption is that the Dawncities were built by Singers as the connection between them, the Rythmns and the sound based nature of Cymatics seems too obvious to ignore. I am open, however, to the idea that given we know Surgebinding existed on Roshar before humans arrived, that the Singers used Cohesion in conjunction with the Rythmns to build the Dawncities 

That's a decent point. And I'm sure the Dawncities predate the radiants, but their size seems beyond would have been needed unless the first Desolation really broke a more advanced society. Especially given the oathgates and their connections to the cities/Urithiru. It feels like they were part of the creation of the Dawncities as massive Stormfortresses. 

9 hours ago, Sandra said:

On 12/18/2017 at 10:04 AM, The Invested Beard said:

We shape wills obviously. :lol:

I think it's quite funny, that if you put it the other way around: They shape to their will, it actually works with what some people said here :)

You are both joking but Will Shaping is exactly what Venli has been told to do with the Parshmen. She is convincing them to believe Odium's dogma. So her "extra" talent is persuasion.

3 hours ago, GoddessIMHO said:

You are both joking but Will Shaping is exactly what Venli has been told to do with the Parshmen. She is convincing them to believe Odium's dogma. So her "extra" talent is persuasion.

Oh I'm right with you. I saw what she's been doing and thought, "So that's how it works."

21 hours ago, GoddessIMHO said:

So is Venli like using cohesion or transportation on the Parshmen? 

9 minutes ago, Dryone_2 said:

So is Venli like using cohesion or transportation on the Parshmen?

Not yet, but I imagine she will be able to as she advances as a Knight Radiant. Which brings up an interesting question. She is literally bonded to two spren; timbre a Willshaper spren, and an Envoy(?) voidspren. So will she be able to switch back and forth? Like a like light switch that changes her eyes from red, to normal, back to red? That's a little tongue-in-cheek but you get the point of the question. I think she is the only character in the series so far that has bonded two spren, correct?

3 minutes ago, Brightlord Brooding Eyes said:

Not yet, but I imagine she will be able to as she advances as a Knight Radiant. Which brings up an interesting question. She is literally bonded to two spren; timbre a Willshaper spren, and an Envoy(?) voidspren. So will she be able to switch back and forth? Like a like light switch that changes her eyes from red, to normal, back to red? That's a little tongue-in-cheek but you get the point of the question. I think she is the only character in the series so far that has bonded two spren, correct?

My point is that she is only talking to the Parshmen, not using any surge (I imagine both surges to be unpleasant  be used on you) 

I think she has a lesser Voidspren for the form and Timbre for the Nahel bond.  And Listeners have two hearts, so maybe that's not a problem. 

I don't think we have evidence that the spren related to the Forms of Power are more self aware than the ones related to nimbleform, warform, etc. Just that they're Voidspren, i.e. carrying Odious investiture.

That is to say: maybe Venli's Voidspren can't tell on her because it can't talk.

• 9 months later...
On 12/20/2017 at 11:20 AM, Watchcry said:

I'm now trying to wrap my mind around how their version of cohesion differs from that if the Stonewards. 

First, this is my new favorite thread haha

Second, I think the main difference is Willshapers will be able to use the cohesion at a distance and on limited materials compared to Stonewards. A Willshaper could probably effect stone, water, earth, metal, etc. but a Stoneward, with the combination of tension surge, can shape anything. Stonewards just have to touch it but I think could maybe shape all sorts of brittle things like trees and maybe glass, etc. where those things would just snap if a Willshaper tried. My theory anyway.

1 hour ago, Kelkamer said:

Second, I think the main difference is Willshapers will be able to use the cohesion at a distance and on limited materials compared to Stonewards. A Willshaper could probably effect stone, water, earth, metal, etc. but a Stoneward, with the combination of tension surge, can shape anything. Stonewards just have to touch it but I think could maybe shape all sorts of brittle things like trees and maybe glass, etc. where those things would just snap if a Willshaper tried. My theory anyway.

The Stoneward who made the steps in Dalinar's vision seemed to be able to use the ability at range without an issue. 

He had to be touching the side of the mountain, then he could infuse (invest) parts of the mountain away from him, but he had to have his had on the stone to send the stormlight through to make the shapes. That was my take anyway, cause it mentions him laying his hand on the wall face in front of the ledge

On 12/23/2017 at 5:03 AM, GoddessIMHO said:

It seems like both of Venli's spren must be will shapers.

She picked her spren up while she was still in Stormform. She even changed her form with her spren around. The spren seems pretty independent. It would be very interesting to see which form she would go to with only her Willshaper spren. Pretty dangerous experiment though.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:18 PM, JamesMc6 said:

Like @Dryone_2 said, the bonds are different. Having a spren in your gemheart and bonding one aren't even in the same magic system, though since they both dramatically affect your spirit web, I'm curious to see how that will turn out as she progresses as a radiant...